Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Important information on our new focus on these forums and the temporary removal of feature requests

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614
edited March 2021 in News

Something we've been wanting to do for a while as a company is wean off our reliance on Facebook as a way of keeping in touch with our community.

Though we will continue to use Facebook, we will be reducing the time spent on it and making some major changes outside of it.

The reason that we enjoy spending more time on Facebook than our own forums, is that through our moderation we kept people from constantly making requests and derailing conversation. This has led to the Facebook groups being a much healthier and supportive place for general discussion about the Deluge, and we wish the same for our own forums. 

To make this happen, we'll be implementing a few major changes.

1. We'll be archiving the "feature requests" forum and removing all discussion related to feature requests for the next 12 months.

We already have a firm plan in place for development for the next couple of software updates, we'll re-instigate this forum and invite user input once more after then.

You are more than welcome of course to discuss this kind of thing on discussion groups we don't moderate such as the Deluge Discord, Deluge Users SubReddit or 'Open' Facebook Group

2. We'll be moving our beta-testing off of Facebook to our official forums.

We will be requiring evidence of Deluge ownership to be able to take part in that new program.

If you wish to be a beta tester on our official forums, you will need to verify identity this way:

Send Deanne an email (Deanne.krieg@synthstrom.com) with
1) Your Synthstrom forum username (not FB)
2) email address you signed up to the forums with
3) a photo of your Deluge along with a piece of paper with your forum username written down on it.

3. We'll be placing renewed focus on our support through the forums with a new 'Help' category, where we have advanced Deluge users organised to respond to any questions, basic to advanced within 24 hours - or they will escalate to our attention

4. Rohan, Ian and other members of the Synthstrom crew will be much more active than previous.

This isn't us saying goodbye to Facebook, we know for many that it's the most convenient way for you to keep in touch with us, this is simply a new commitment to our own forum community.

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on

Comments

xapxap USBeta Tester Posts: 17

Really excited about the shift! I'm allergic to Facebook and nostalgic for well-curated forum communities. Looking forward to participating.

Ian_Jorgensen
    DannoHungDannoHung Posts: 11

The Discord link doesn't seem to work correctly.

BTW: Can I just send you guys like, $20 or something? I just want to support all the cool work you keep putting into the Deluge but I don't really want to buy a t-shirt and I don't need a dead-tree version of the manual.

armanarman CaliforniaPosts: 5

@xap said:
    Really excited about the shift! I'm allergic to Facebook and nostalgic for well-curated forum communities. Looking forward to participating.

Could not agree more!

Ian_Jorgensen

@DannoHung said:
    The Discord link doesn't seem to work correctly.

I just checked again and seems to work for me....it does take a few seconds to load though, try again?

BTW: Can I just send you guys like, $20 or something? I just want to support all the cool work you keep putting into the Deluge but I don't really want to buy a t-shirt and I don't need a dead-tree version of the manual.

really appreciate the sentiment <3 , but not needed, I guess best thing would be to buy a ticket to our streaming festival this weekend and we can spread that around the contributing artists or you could purchase the mp3s via bandcamp of our first label release https://synthstrom.com/label/ - that will help us recoup a little on that project :)

DannoHungDannoHung Posts: 11
    edited March 2021

Will do Ian.

WRT discord link: just tried again and it’s still not working. Maybe it works right if you’re already a member of the discord? I login and it says “You’re in a place with no channels” or something to that effect.

Edit: yeah, that was it. I found the invite link elsewhere and that let me get in: https://discord.gg/6DhXwKJ

Now that I click on the link in the original post, it sends me in a-ok.

Post edited by DannoHung on

Ah, sweet, I'll update with that other link, thanks for the heads up

jcfischerjcfischer ZurichBeta Tester Posts: 4

I think this is a great move. Could I ask for a tiny thing on the forum? Could you enable https on it?

edited March 2021

We (Synthstrom) still view the archived feature request threads and we still have and value everyone's amazing input over the years. User input has guided and will continue to guide us through future development.

We just needed a break from it being the primary chatter on this site. We needed people to stop waiting on the next thing, arguing over stuff, talking day in day out about features. We already have so much planned from the previous four years of requests.

We want this community to flourish with people helping each other and sharing their work. Once this community is as vibrant as it should be and we've made more progress, we'll bring back in the suggestions.

We hope you can understand, that for just a short while, we want to take a new tack with these forums.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Cheers to the future - and being grateful for here & Now :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

ButtondownButtondown StockholmBeta Tester Posts: 8

Makes sense, it must get exhausting. But you've kind of spoiled us i suppose 😆

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

I totally support this.

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

Mr_ForkMr_Fork North DakotaPosts: 59

I agree. Don't get me wrong I don't think it's bad to keep a pulse on feature requests but I'd much rather have conversations about how people are creatively using what's there. The fact that the Deluge keeps getting updated is just icing on the cake. Cheers and thanks for everything you do.

KenoubiKenoubi United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 46
    edited March 2021

@Ian_Jorgensen said:
    Something we've been wanting to do for a while as a company is wean off our reliance on Facebook as a way of keeping in touch with our community.

Though we will continue to use Facebook, we will be reducing the time spent on it and making some major changes outside of it.

The reason that we enjoy spending more time on Facebook than our own forums, is that through our moderation we kept people from constantly making requests and derailing conversation. This has led to the Facebook groups being a much healthier and supportive place for general discussion about the Deluge, and we wish the same for our own forums. 

To make this happen, we'll be implementing a few major changes.

1. We'll be archiving the "feature requests" forum and removing all discussion related to feature requests for the next 12 months.

We already have a firm plan in place for development for the next couple of software updates, we'll re-instigate this forum and invite user input once more after then.

Can I request that you publish an outline of that plan, then?

The Deluge is the only environment I've ever found where I can successfully make music. So I would consider myself very invested in the Deluge ecosystem. The Deluge is an AMAZING product.

However, certain aspects of the Deluge -- mostly having to do with synth parameters -- are extremely frustrating to me. [EDITED to remove mention of specific features.] I think I've taken the workarounds I can think of about as far as they can go. The result is that I'm just not motivated to make music very much. I know that I can work through these problems, but they tend to bite more in later than earlier stages of track production. I've even very seriously considered using an external synth with the Deluge, and still may try it, but one of the killer features of the Deluge for me is being able to run it on batteries, plug in some headphones, and very easily use it anywhere, so I'm not sure how much that will help.

There are many other features that I care about. [EDITED to remove mention of specific features.]

I care so much about these features that if the Deluge firmware were open source, I almost certainly would have tried to implement some of them myself. Obviously you're aware that some people would like to be able to do things like that and have decided not to make it possible -- fine, I can't complain too much, the Deluge is still an amazing product. But I would really, really like to know if any of this stuff is going to happen, and maybe some vague idea what order it might happen in (I've developed software too, I know you'd be foolish to give a detailed timeline for delivery of specific features).

Thanks for reading.

Kenn

Post edited by Kenoubi on
    mrtofmrtof CanadaBeta Tester Posts: 4

«We already have a firm plan in place for development for the next couple of software updates, we'll re-instigate this forum and invite user input once more after then.»

Yes. Could the Road Map please be published? I would like to know what to expect and better decide on what gear I should get to complement future updates.

Thank you!

nikpalmernikpalmer VancouverBeta Tester Posts: 11

Yeah another super happy Deluge owner , now I don’t feel behind because I don’t have a FB account (no really!).
    As for a roadmap, nope I don’t need that either it’s just going to cause frustration when things don’t get done or don’t mesh with someone else’s idea of what Deluge should be. I’m super buzzed about 3.2 already so I’m sure that future feature development is in safe hands. Personally I’d never want “design through committee” that’s never a great way to design anything.
    Great job guys! I’m in it for the long term!

edited March 2021

Sorry Kenn :( we won't be sharing our dev plans, for many reasons.

• Many people just don't understand the time dev takes, even with "simple" things and workflow enhancements, some items have been on the agenda for close to 5 years. Our plan is a living and breathing beast and is absolutely liable to change at any given moment or head off in different directions.

• We just want people to stop waiting, to stop waiting around for a feature that might be years away or never come, we don't want people breathing down our necks or harassing us or getting frustrated because their idea of what we should be doing is not what we're doing. Haha, we just want people to enjoy the now, to play on their Deluge and to treat updates as gifts, treats and places to take them in new directions or streamline their workflow - not the be all and end all of their ability to create music.
      If we had a list of stuff we are planning to work on but not guaranteeing, all it will do is simply create an even greater conflict within the community where people debate the merits of dev over other dev and complain about the popularity of certain things or try to bolster their particular workflow as being more important.

• We want to enjoy being on our own forums and we can't do that if people are constantly pestering us. Haha, people are always sliding in requests - subtlety or not so subtlety (lol, did you really just shoehorn in some requests into a discussion about why we're removing requests? :D haha, I love the cheek so will leave those up for the short term, but yeah, will prob edit/delete at some point to keep in with new policy ), and publishing a list of just a bunch of things will only make the debate much more intense.
      We just want to chat and enjoy the Deluge with people but frustratingly keep having people wedge their requests in-front of us and all it does is makes us feel bummed, bummed that people aren't having the best experience.
      We did it to ourselves :) We built an awesome machine and awesome community filled with people who care intensely about it, we love the passion that people have, but we also just want to feel like we can hang out with our community and not feel constant pressure.

We hear everything, we know everything, we know all the gripes, haha, I hear them in my sleep, one persons "all it needs is this" is another persons "what a waste of time". We've proved our commitment to development and refinement - now is the time for peeps just to sit back, chill, make some music and let us do our thing for a while. We've heard everyone, now give us the space to make it happen :)

Lets instead talk about stuff like playing shows in this new world, how to make great presets, how best to release songs, how to talk with labels, great free software synths, how to master for release, how to perform live on a deluge, how to speed up writing in the arranger, best hardware partners for the Delly, how to make videos that aren't just "hands on gear"... lets share songs and videos, share presets and samples, share tutorials and hacks, lets get creative, lets have fun and have some interesting discussion :)

Personally I feel that so many people are so hung up on a feature or two that they're letting the world go by and that these forums should have been a place where all users made each other better by sharing awesome tips and workflow rather than getting anxious over why something isn't happening as fast as they'd like.

kilroykilroy CanadaBeta Tester Posts: 25

Well put. Literally every creative piece of hardware or software is missing just that one feature for some subset of users in order to fit their "perfect" workflow. But there is no single set of features that will be perfect for everyone. As it stands right now, the Deluge is a masterpiece of art and engineering that is more capable than any groovebox on the market.

@Ian_Jorgensen said:

• We want to enjoy being on our own forums and we can't do that if people are constantly pestering us. Haha, people are always sliding in requests - subtlety or not so subtlety (lol, did you really just shoehorn in some requests into a discussion about why we're removing requests? :D haha, I love the cheek so will leave those up for the short term, but yeah, will prob edit/delete at some point to keep in with new policy ), and publishing a list of just a bunch of things will only make the debate much more intense.
      We just want to chat and enjoy the Deluge with people but frustratingly keep having people wedge their requests in-front of us and all it does is makes us feel bummed, bummed that people aren't having the best experience.
      We did it to ourselves :) We built an awesome machine and awesome community filled with people who care intensely about it, we love the passion that people have, but we also just want to feel like we can hang out with our community and not feel constant pressure.

People would almost always rather find a way to do what they want, even if it isn't quite what they expected, than complain. Complaining is what they do when they're frustrated. Most of my requests aren't really feature requests, they're bug reports, subtype "usability". Compare with wavetable synthesis. My Deluges (both of them) have had labels printed on them saying "Wavetable" since the day I got them. Yet I've seen very few people asking "hey, when is wavetable synthesis actually going to be implemented"?

Here's a spreadsheet of parameter values I recently measured because I was sick of not knowing what the parameters do. It's far from complete, and probably laughably inaccurate (surely the formulas I tried to reverse engineer about how each parameter's effect is calculated are completely wrong), and it took many hours for me to make. But I wanted to be able to program patches from Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook, and to have some hope of being able to replicate similar sounds on another synth, if and when I use one.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-55lTQVAij6_va_uEUVczFltpOwkUT05AtIm6nzPJ8s/edit?usp=sharing

Obviously this is still a very small effort compared to Downrush. People don't need you to solve every problem with the Deluge workflow or capabilities for them. If they have any way to do so (sometimes even if that way is pretty crazy) they'll solve it for themselves.

People are still going to have these problems whether or not we're allowed to talk about them. In some cases there are workarounds, e.g. this thread where I suggested a way to help with FM aliasing. In others there aren't. Providing more ways for people to help themselves, primarily by providing more visibility into what the Deluge is doing (open source firmware would be a HUGE win here, but even just more "engineering documentation" of the various features of the Deluge could help a lot) and perhaps more hooks to get it to do something different if you want, could actually solve most of these problems. That would be the clear "first best" solution from my point of view. If you do that I don't care at all anymore whether you publish a roadmap.

I assume you'd prefer people who aren't having the best experience be able to change things until they are, not that you want them to just disappear!

We hear everything, we know everything, we know all the gripes, haha, I hear them in my sleep, one persons "all it needs is this" is another persons "what a waste of time". We've proved our commitment to development and refinement - now is the time for peeps just to sit back, chill, make some music and let us do our thing for a while. We've heard everyone, now give us the space to make it happen :)

Lets instead talk about stuff like playing shows in this new world, how to make great presets, how best to release songs, how to talk with labels, great free software synths, how to master for release, how to perform live on a deluge, how to speed up writing in the arranger, best hardware partners for the Delly, how to make videos that aren't just "hands on gear"... lets share songs and videos, share presets and samples, share tutorials and hacks, lets get creative, lets have fun and have some interesting discussion :)

I'm not a pro or performing musician and don't ever expect to be one, so a bunch of those aren't relevant to me.
    But my current suggestion for best hardware partner for the Deluge is an Organelle M.

The Organelle is an instrument that's also a computer and doesn't hide it. It has HDMI and USB ports so you can hook up a monitor and keyboard/mouse, and its patches are Pure Data code (or externals) running on a reasonably normal Linux distribution. Out of the box it doesn't do that much -- I would describe the built-in patches more as demonstrations of the possibilities than usable instruments as-is. But since the software is 100% open source and user modifiable, with enough effort you can make it do almost anything.

I only got mine a couple of weeks ago, so I haven't done that much with it. I did verify it can receive MIDI sent by the Deluge. The idea is to use it as an external synth. Not sure if it'll work out though... having to carry two devices around is really a lot harder than doing it all on one, even if they can both run off of batteries.

jeppjepp parisPosts: 11

I think Rohan, Ian, Deanne, and all the team your decision is very professional on a manufacturer point of view and very clever on a customer care point of view.
    I completely agree on the “NOW “ ( play , use, appreciate).
    When I get my deluge I didn’t correctly evaluate the time I need to study it. ( took me nearly three week with few hours daily), i hated the screen and was constantly on community info and vidéo to improved my abilities.
    This social media mind to get everything quick...
    Then I realized that Deluge is an instruments, it is even few different instruments in one and so it need time to understand it completely and master it.
    slow down and learn your stuff.
    Today I am a very happy customer, and I love this complex machine. I have no doubt you can improve it, but the core thing is what I get today.
    Deluge now.
    pacing.

Thanks a lot for the deluge we get .

edited March 2021

@Kenoubi said:

Most of my requests aren't really feature requests, they're bug reports.

You should def make sure you're part of our beta testers group then. Would be much appreciated having you there.
    We're moving it away from Facebook onto these forums for future development.

I'm not a pro or performing musician and don't ever expect to be one, so a bunch of those aren't relevant to me.
    But my current suggestion for best hardware partner for the Deluge is an Organelle M.

I didn't mean right here, sorry, that was just me talking about the kinda thing that could be talked about on these forums :)

@Ian_Jorgensen said:

@Kenoubi said:

Most of my requests aren't really feature requests, they're bug reports.

You should def make sure you're part of our beta testers group then. Would be much appreciated having you there.
    We're moving it away from Facebook onto these forums for future development.

Will do.

To be clear though, they're not things like "the Deluge crashes in situation X", but rather aspects of the Deluge software that impede usability. Here's a clearer one than the ones I already named, albeit much less often relevant: when you turn on the Deluge without an SD card inserted, it flashes "CARD" but then lets you start working on a song (without any samples obviously). But if you then insert an SD card, it instantly erases whatever you were working on!

Now, I can see a case that having a Deluge powered-on at all without an SD card inserted is undefined behavior. Certainly in most cases, if someone in the middle of working on a song removes the SD card and then puts in a different one, there's nothing useful the Deluge can do -- the samples aren't there. But proactively erasing the song in the case that the Deluge was turned on with no card inserted in the first place doesn't seem like it could possibly be what any user would ever want.

My point was that any behavior that can be described as "no user would ever want this", or to a lesser extent "no user could reasonably prefer this to this other behavior", is a bug. Whether or not it's working as designed.

I didn't mean right here, sorry, that was just me talking about the kinda thing that could be talked about on these forums :)

Sure, I knew that was what you meant. Just trying to show good faith (with that, and the reply about FM aliasing, and the spreadsheet) because I do realize I'm being kind of demanding. In my opinion it's justified, but there's no need or reason for me to be antagonistic.

edited March 2021

We basically just draw a firm line between what is a bug - something which causes a crash/instability, and everything else. There are many justified annoyances people have, but we'd get caught in a situation where we are defining how important particular anomalies/frustrations are...and there are many of them.
    The arc of the Deluge universe is long, but it bends towards justice :)

HAINEZeeHAINEZee United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 21

Looking forward to dropping into the Forum more often too, it'll help wean me off bloody Facebook, deluge is one of my prime reasons for using FB.
    Hope this Forum becomes more active and informative!:)
    Thanks for everything and to everyone at Synthstrom - you lot really are amazing!

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199
    edited March 2021

@Ian_Jorgensen said:

• Many people just don't understand the time dev takes, even with "simple" things and workflow enhancements, some items have been on the agenda for close to 5 years. Our plan is a living and breathing beast and is absolutely liable to change at any given moment or head off in different directions.

• We just want people to stop waiting, to stop waiting around for a feature that might be years away or never come, we don't want people breathing down our necks or harassing us or getting frustrated because their idea of what we should be doing is not what we're doing. Haha, we just want people to enjoy the now, to play on their Deluge and to treat updates as gifts, treats and places to take them in new directions or streamline their workflow - not the be all and end all of their ability to create music.
      If we had a list of stuff we are planning to work on but not guaranteeing, all it will do is simply create an even greater conflict within the community where people debate the merits of dev over other dev and complain about the popularity of certain things or try to bolster their particular workflow as being more important.

Well, if you can't say what plans you have, you could say what's technically not possible. Or what your just not gonna do with the machine.
    Lotsa ppl ask for X or Y, but if they know it's not possible, they don't have to bother you anymore about it ;)

Post edited by djAzid on
    edited March 2021

@djAzid said:

Well, if you can't say what plans you have, you could say what's technically not possible. Or what your just not gonna do with the machine.
    Lotsa ppl ask for X or Y, but if they know it's not possible, they don't have to bother you anymore about it ;)

Tbh, I don't think there is much that is totally off the cards, I'm not really sure of many ideas that we've scoffed at/rubbished. People should def not be waiting around for anything, if the Deluge doesn't do it now, assume it will never do it....that way people can be happy in their lives and we can feel like when we do make changes/updates that they are pleasant surprises, rather than "about time!".

TeslianCowboyTeslianCowboy United StatesPosts: 12

Will we be getting a timeline, or anything of the sort, relating to which features are to be added? I don't want to get my hopes up for categorized presets if that's simply not on your radar.

kilroykilroy CanadaBeta Tester Posts: 25

Great spreadsheet! Is this posted elsewhere (e.g. Support forums). If not, I'm sure others will appreciate it not getting buried in this thread.

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

@TeslianCowboy said:
    Will we be getting a timeline, or anything of the sort, relating to which features are to be added? I don't want to get my hopes up for categorized presets if that's simply not on your radar.

http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/comment/14058/#Comment_14058

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

@Ian_Jorgensen said:
    We basically just draw a firm line between what is a bug - something which causes a crash/instability, and everything else. There are many justified annoyances people have, but we'd get caught in a situation where we are defining how important particular anomalies/frustrations are...and there are many of them.
    The arc of the Deluge universe is long, but it bends towards justice :)

Actually, that makes me realize:

What I would LOVE to see from Synthstrom is a "major" Deluge firmware update that has NO flagship feature launches... no handling of audio tracks / addition of audio looper, no wavetable synthesis, no MPE, and nothing of the kind... lifestyle improvements only, making what is already there easier to see, easier to understand, easier to control.

I get it -- that's not as much fun to program, it's not as much fun (or as easy) to market, it might even feel like the release "didn't really do anything". I don't even know what changes should actually make it into that release. But I bet people would end up WAY happier actually using the Deluge. In a way that "just take a chill pill" isn't going to accomplish.

@Ian_Jorgensen said:

@djAzid said:

Tbh, I don't think there is much that is totally off the cards, I'm not really sure of many ideas that we've scoffed at/rubbished. People should def not be waiting around for anything, if the Deluge doesn't do it now, assume it will never do it....that way people can be happy in their lives and we can feel like when we do make changes/updates that they are pleasant surprises, rather than "about time!".

So, look, I get what you're saying about assuming that if the Deluge doesn't do it now, it never will, but... no. I refuse your request. You can make me stop talking about it here, but there are no words you can say that will make me happy about certain aspects of the Deluge's behavior, or stop me from being bummed when another update comes out and certain things are still so hard to use to accomplish what I want. And describing them as "annoyances" is I think not really accurate. As I stated in my initial post, when I run into one of these or know that I'm going to, it often make me so unhappy that it demotivates me to even make music. (Again, I need to call out that it's because the Deluge is so awesome that it even gets to that point! Other ways of making music that I've tried or investigated are instead so unintuitive / hard to use / unnecessarily complicated that I never bothered seriously trying to make music at all.)

@kilroy said:

Great spreadsheet! Is this posted elsewhere (e.g. Support forums). If not, I'm sure others will appreciate it not getting buried in this thread.

Good point. I wasn't really planning to share it in the first place, but you're right, since it's available anyway there's no reason to leave it buried. I'll post there momentarily.

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199

@Ian_Jorgensen said:

@djAzid said:

That's no really what i meant. For example, some ppl ask for something technical about sampling / resampling. But the deluge has just one 1 dac, so it can't do a certain thing. If you say this (and some other things) upfront, ppl don't / shouldn't ask / complain for some features it can't do because of this limitation. Which saves you guys some headaches when reading.
    This is not about waiting for feature which might not come, just to explain some limitations.