Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Song view should work like Ableton Live's session view

Comments

woodswalkerwoodswalker USAPosts: 15

@VJFranzK said:
    Why does anyone want a "song mode" anyway? This is our escape from the DAW way of doing things.

"The DAW way of doing things"....No...carrying one small box instead of <Laptop, Interface, Hub, Controllers and cables for same, and praying that everything will load> is my escape from the DAW way of doing things.

The current 'song mode' is equivalent to Ableton's recording mode with horizontal tracks. Would it be possible to keep that in Deluge but also be able to 'toggle" to a clip-launch 'session mode'?
    I have a track with several one-shot clips, and yeah, they take up a whole line of 16 pads, so it is sort of a waste of real estate.

fatpuddingfatpudding United KingdomPosts: 1

+1

Yes, this totally makes sense!!!

I agree with the comment about 'wasted real estate". I have a composition which includes 3 vocoder samples to be triggered randomly during the performance. Each one takes up a whole row in song mode, that's 3 rows of space used up. Which means while performing the song I'll have to scroll up & down to trigger these, while playing thru other sections.
    Having trigger pads at my fingertips is one reason I thought about the Force or maybe something cheaper like the Roland 404SX. If it was possible to switch into an extra mode on the Deluge to get this mode, well that would be Heaven!!

bloombloom earthPosts: 12

one more idea for performance mode. to have a better overview about wich kind of instrument is in a row, it would help a lot if each current playing track (clip in ableton live) is blinking to the same rhythm of its containing notes. just like the korg electribes. there every single pad / instrument is blinking individually as well and so you’re roughly able to tell which is which. a kick track blinks different than a snare track or pad track. i always missed that on all ableton live controllers, especially if they don’t have a screen.

leoch909leoch909 Byron BayPosts: 1

Yes please, an alternative view like this will be so good! I'd say 90% of the live performances do it this way.
    Please bring on this update <3

rushberushbe DeutschlandPosts: 2

Yes this feature is a must have for the Deluge.
    If this will be implemented, the Deluge will get the live performance tool Nr. 1.

Topo_ChrisGTopo_ChrisG San FranciscoPosts: 11

I would love this! The current song view quickly gets out of hand when you have more than 2 sections in a piece of music. Then when I want to make a new section I have to carefully scroll up and down to make a copy of each clip without losing track of what’s what. This causes a lot of creative friction that often prevents me from exploring a new idea.

(I give this feedback with utmost respect. Deluge is already amazing as-is!)

pdo23pdo23 Beta Tester Posts: 4

+1

ROGAVKAROGAVKA BerlinPosts: 9

Oh, I would love it. Each button to launch a clip and shift + button to go inside its contents. Right buttons to launch scenes. Cheers!

MPrinsenMPrinsen NetherlandsPosts: 157

@ROGAVKA said:
    Oh, I would love it. Each button to launch a clip and shift + button to go inside its contents. Right buttons to launch scenes. Cheers!

Shift + button would trigger it instantly instead of arming it, like regular song mode.

Clip+pad should make you go inside :)

I’m still waiting for this as well.. it would make this device so much more usable for live performance!

I was just thinking: would be great to have the option (inside settings) to flip x and y axis, to suit personal preference.

rczrcz NYBeta Tester Posts: 111

Honestly I kind of like the current song view its pretty cool and innovative. I think a few tweaks and improvements could satisfy what people coming from ableton might look for.

Main challenges with the current mode is keeping track of many clips and instruments, whats playing and starting/stopping a variety of different clips easily. This is something the vertical track method suggested earlier addresses. This proposal is equal to the vertical track method for sorting instruments, shows up to as many distinct clips per view and keeps the Deluge's ability to show distinct clip lengths as well as position of the play-head.

Song mode 2.0:

imagine the following was a row of pads on the deluge aka 1 track,

(1) (1) (1) (1) (2) (2) (2) (2) (3) (3) (3) (3) (3) (3) (3) (3) (L) (S)

1-3 correspond to different colored clips on the same instrument, the color is the section it belongs to.

This way you can still see the corresponding length of different clips.

Similar to arranger mode, pressing the leftmost pad on a track will select it. The the launch pad will then stop and start the selected track in a row like now. Pressing shift should allow you to switch between clips using the leftmost pads in the middle of a playing clip just like the launch button.

Everything else is the same or a carry over of current functionality.

Scroll around your clips using <>. Move or copy a clip or make a new one on an empty pad to the right of your existing clips, the scroll range should automatically adjust for 1 or 2 blank pads on the far right. Copy or create a new instrument on an empty row.

Let me know what you think....

I’d rather have the existing song view as it is, but with a way to toggle between the current song view and a new session/clip launch view. Then maybe also an x/y axis swap function in the settings.

But the whole point is to have 1 pad for each pattern, sorted per instruments for each column or row (depends on x/y axis swap, but I personally would prefer one instrument per column).

Then in most cases you can keep all patterns of all instruments in 1 screen and launch/stop/arm/disarm them on the fly. When you want to edit the pattern, hold clip/track and press the pad you want to edit.

supertwangsupertwang Austin, TXPosts: 11

I agree with MPrinsen. It is probably eaiser/less-contentious to assume there are people out there who like the existing song mode, and leave it in its current form. Nicely, though, in the UI it creates the opening for the double-tap on Tracks to invoke "Clip Mode," which would perfectly balance the double-tap on Songs to invoke "Song Mode".

The (fairly confusing when you have a lot of tracks) Deluge "Tracks Stack" is a barrier to me to understanding and playing larger arrangements live because differentiating the tracks is difficult -- made worse by the fact that you can't explicitly color your synth tracks, or insert any kind of visual markers to indicate what is what. Putting each instrument on an individual grid button (switchable between columns (ala Ableton-style) and rows (kind of like a condensed timeline)) would leverage that amazing, compact 8x16 real estate giving you a powerful overview of your song's available material - instantly navigable (single tap to mute/unmute, shift-tap (or other key combo) to edit (switch to track edit view with that clip).

Other ideas:
    Assign instrument by location:
    I'd love it if there was a simple copy/paste in the "Clip View" that would allow you to quickly put the clip (notes) onto a different instrument just by copying/pasting into that instruments "Clip Column (or Row, depending on your orientation preference).

Color:
    Color is an absolutely KEY visual cue for an instrument this deep. For me to be able to develop my own performance/organizational scheme for my material, I need to be able to control the color of (ALL of) my tracks. While I really appreciate the potential to visualize the range of notes that the current synth track coloring scheme allows (which should be retained as a coloring option!), that paradigm breaks down for single-button clips. Thus full RGB/HSV control over the color of each clip really becomes a necessity for any kind of Clip Mode. It makes complete sense that the track be able to be the same color in the "Tracks Stack."

User/Display Mode:
    I mention this here instead of in a new thread, because "Clip Mode" would get us MOSTLY there, but not quite. A "Little" more work to it would really crack open the potential of a grid of controllable color-squares (aka Clips) that send MIDI.
    A generic "User Mode" is an idea that the Launchpad Pro implements brilliantly, and thus invites its extended developer community into the design conversation. Not only can you use that grid for whatever you want, there is an open MIDI-based API that allows your software to control the pad colors in real time. An ability to use the grid in a generic way, via MIDI, would allow all of the Deluge fans out there to really get creative with this brilliant control surface. The community could benefit from the wealth of 3rd party tools that the Deluge would enable - making this instrument even MORE useful!. Imagine the shape of your LFO visually drawn and moving on the Deluge Grid like a display! Imagine seeing the (short) title of your song on the 16x8 grid as you scroll through your songs! Imagine a spectral level meters view, reacting live to your music! All of these things and so many more would be possible with an API that enables control of color and midi per grid cell.

Anyhow, I'll stop here. Rohan et al have been absolutely amazing in what they've managed to pack into this amazing instrument. Unlocking the power of the 16x8 grid as an overview and instant controller of Tracks (aka Clip Mode), and more generically as an API-accessible MIDI tool (aka "User Mode") would really send the Deluge into new territory of usability, power and flexibility, and invite the broader, passionate music developer community into the design conversation in a way that'd benefit everyone.

Thanks again Synthstrom for all your hard work! I hope you'll consider these improvements.

@supertwang said:
    I agree with MPrinsen. It is probably eaiser/less-contentious to assume there are people out there who like the existing song mode, and leave it in its current form. Nicely, though, in the UI it creates the opening for the double-tap on Tracks to invoke "Clip Mode," which would perfectly balance the double-tap on Songs to invoke "Song Mode".

The (fairly confusing when you have a lot of tracks) Deluge "Tracks Stack" is a barrier to me to understanding and playing larger arrangements live because differentiating the tracks is difficult -- made worse by the fact that you can't explicitly color your synth tracks, or insert any kind of visual markers to indicate what is what. Putting each instrument on an individual grid button (switchable between columns (ala Ableton-style) and rows (kind of like a condensed timeline)) would leverage that amazing, compact 8x16 real estate giving you a powerful overview of your song's available material - instantly navigable (single tap to mute/unmute, shift-tap (or other key combo) to edit (switch to track edit view with that clip).

Other ideas:
    Assign instrument by location:
    I'd love it if there was a simple copy/paste in the "Clip View" that would allow you to quickly put the clip (notes) onto a different instrument just by copying/pasting into that instruments "Clip Column (or Row, depending on your orientation preference).

Color:
    Color is an absolutely KEY visual cue for an instrument this deep. For me to be able to develop my own performance/organizational scheme for my material, I need to be able to control the color of (ALL of) my tracks. While I really appreciate the potential to visualize the range of notes that the current synth track coloring scheme allows (which should be retained as a coloring option!), that paradigm breaks down for single-button clips. Thus full RGB/HSV control over the color of each clip really becomes a necessity for any kind of Clip Mode. It makes complete sense that the track be able to be the same color in the "Tracks Stack."

User/Display Mode:
    I mention this here instead of in a new thread, because "Clip Mode" would get us MOSTLY there, but not quite. A "Little" more work to it would really crack open the potential of a grid of controllable color-squares (aka Clips) that send MIDI.
    A generic "User Mode" is an idea that the Launchpad Pro implements brilliantly, and thus invites its extended developer community into the design conversation. Not only can you use that grid for whatever you want, there is an open MIDI-based API that allows your software to control the pad colors in real time. An ability to use the grid in a generic way, via MIDI, would allow all of the Deluge fans out there to really get creative with this brilliant control surface. The community could benefit from the wealth of 3rd party tools that the Deluge would enable - making this instrument even MORE useful!. Imagine the shape of your LFO visually drawn and moving on the Deluge Grid like a display! Imagine seeing the (short) title of your song on the 16x8 grid as you scroll through your songs! Imagine a spectral level meters view, reacting live to your music! All of these things and so many more would be possible with an API that enables control of color and midi per grid cell.

Anyhow, I'll stop here. Rohan et al have been absolutely amazing in what they've managed to pack into this amazing instrument. Unlocking the power of the 16x8 grid as an overview and instant controller of Tracks (aka Clip Mode), and more generically as an API-accessible MIDI tool (aka "User Mode") would really send the Deluge into new territory of usability, power and flexibility, and invite the broader, passionate music developer community into the design conversation in a way that'd benefit everyone.

Thanks again Synthstrom for all your hard work! I hope you'll consider these improvements.

You know there is a copy/paste function right? Once you know it, it is fairly quick to copy all notes from one clip to another clip.

I think the "user mode" is a whole new level, that should not be part of this discussion. Although I really like the idea. Like the Beatstep Pro can also go into "user mode" and you can assign any note, cc value or whatever to each pad. That would be great for the Deluge as well, I agree. But IMHO it is "nice to have" but not really important.

I do hope the session view will ever be implemented, as that makes the Deluge complete for me. Now I still feel it lacks at easily launching clips live to be honest. Besides of that it is so close to perfect!!

supertwangsupertwang Austin, TXPosts: 11

@MPrinsen said:
    You know there is a copy/paste function right? Once you know it, it is fairly quick to copy all notes from one clip to another clip.

Yes. I was hoping to express that something similarly easy to how tracks are copied (or notes), would exist for "Clip Mode".

I think the "user mode" is a whole new level, that should not be part of this discussion.

I agree, and will find a new thread in which it can be discussed on its own. I only introduce it here because of its large overlap with how a "Clips Mode" would need to be -developed-. The intro is here so that it is hopefully read by the Synthstrom team as they consider developing "Clips Mode." In fact, with the exception of RGB control of the grid over MIDI, you could probably mimic the outward-bound MIDI effect of a User Mode just by populating the "Clips Mode" grid with single note clips of your choice for each clip. That small additional developer effort to add an API to feed back the color over MIDI, cracks open a world of potential. So, yes, moving this to its own thread, but also hoping Rohan, et al, read this as they consider some kind of "Clip Mode/Session View".

But IMHO it is "nice to have" but not really important.

Sure, we all have our own priorities. Clips mode, to me, also more important than User Mode, BUT with such a small amount of additional development to have both, why not add both while your head is deep in that code already? An open User Mode, might even be the best first step, as it'd enable a third party developer to effectively provide Clips Mode if they so desired (I would!).

I do hope the session view will ever be implemented

Oh man. I totally agree with you here! This is the single biggest issue preventing the Deluge from being my central show controller. I can't be puzzling over what is what in the Track Stack while I'm live on stage facing an audience... that's a complete no go to me.

Other than that, I'd add micro-nudging of notes and tracks, and then I'd call it just plain PERFECT. Even as is, it is easily my favorite piece of gear already - a brilliant little work of pure mustic-technology art. Total props to the Synthstrom guys.

I'd love to hear some official feedback for this issue. This is driving me nuts for a long time and I was close to sell this thing quite often. The only thing that holds me back is the fact that there's no other note-matrix sequencer (I don't need the Deluge sound) out there which is comparable with the Deluge.

@MPrinsen said:

@rohan I made a sketchup :)

Yes it would be very nice if @Rohan or @Ian could share their opinion about this and whether or not there is a possiblity of this being implemented in the future..

This is the only real issue I have with the Deluge. I was even thinking about adding a launchpad, but that will make things only extra complicated (having to learn each clip to a pad) and it won't have bi-directional feedback with the backlights of the pads. Also colors will not work etc. So this really is not a good workaround. Also it feels very weird to add another grid controller, when the Deluge has a perfect grid already.

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326
    edited March 2020

+1
    Even if i don't get what is meant by "launch section" ?

Post edited by OdoSendaidokai on

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

nice sketches @MPrinsen makes it much easier to discuss. i like the scrolling behavior.
    one thing, it is overcomplicated or i dont get it: you have launch complete row and launch section.
    why have "launch complete row" at all? why not just leave it at "launch section"?

As you can rearrange the order of the clips, it makes sense to launch a complete row as you can choose which clip is in which row.

@MPrinsen said:
    As you can rearrange the order of the clips, it makes sense to launch a complete row as you can choose which clip is in which row.

i think u maybe did not get what my idea. launch section and launch row is the same thing. i dont need 2 ways to group clips (sections and rows) , so that 2nd hold shift screen is not needed.

@amiga909 said:

@MPrinsen said:

i think u maybe did not get what my idea. launch section and launch row is the same thing. i dont need 2 ways to group clips (sections and rows) , so that 2nd hold shift screen is not needed.

I understand what you say, but when launch section and launch row is the same thing, that would mean you have to duplicate the same clip multiple times (like in Ableton), while it is actually the exact same clip. This wastes a lot of grid space imo. It would be great IMO if users can choose between/combine both launching rows and launching sections.

PaulHPaulH NetherlandsPosts: 6

I would also love some kind of vertical pattern arrangement. That could give 16 tracks with 8 different patterns each, just in one view. Although I like the grouped pattern selection in song mode, I find it hard to keep track of what is what and it's also hard to easily mix and match different patterns to each other. I must say though I'm still a newbie, so there is also simply still some time I need to invest in this thing. But still, would very much like an extra 'vertical view'.

@MPrinsen said:

I understand what you say, but when launch section and launch row is the same thing, that would mean you have to duplicate the same clip multiple times (like in Ableton), while it is actually the exact same clip. This wastes a lot of grid space imo. It would be great IMO if users can choose between/combine both launching rows and launching sections.

ok, right, i think i get ur view better now. the section concept yields many duplicate clips, true. i set the focus on the problem you can only launch 8 clips at once (128 please). in gridview (your sketches) i imagine every pad press also launches the clip, if there is a shortcut for launching a row, why not. i just made the point conceptually rows and sections are very similar, and if you image every row is a section it really just looks alike most pattern sequencer song modes alike in Ableton, Gadget, Groovebox, ..
    nevertheless, very interesting idea to extend the possibilities of how clips can be grouped. i am rather on the less is more side here. Deluge offers a lot of freedom how to structure songs and i dont know if its not complex enough already. saying that i am greedy enough to still opt for a basic gridview of course :)

NorisNoris AustriaPosts: 38

@PaulH said:
    I would also love some kind of vertical pattern arrangement. That could give 16 tracks with 8 different patterns each, just in one view. Although I like the grouped pattern selection in song mode, I find it hard to keep track of what is what and it's also hard to easily mix and match different patterns to each other.

+1 it is still my favorite no.1 missing feature. Or in other words: the current song view is really confusing if I have more than 8 lines (clips or tracks).

funktreefunktree NYPosts: 128
    edited March 2020

I love uniqueness of the song view on deluge, I don't understand why people want to mimic Ableton with Deluge ... what is the point ? Uniqueness of this machine is what is so remarkable :)

Post edited by funktree on