Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Ambient usage/free sample playback

Hey friends! One of the uses I'm trying to get out of the Deluge is for ambient/experimental work. Specifically, I'm wondering if there's a way to approach the openness of long sample playback like on the SP404.

Here's the situation: I have multiple long samples on different tracks (each on their own kit) loaded into a song. (I'm talking minutes-long samples.) They're each different lengths and set to loop when they finish. I want to be able to freely trigger these samples and have them start at their beginnings whenever I trigger them, not at the current playback location of the sequence, which is what happens if I'm just muting/unmuting the tracks.

Am I going about playback incorrectly? Is there a way to do this on the Deluge, or am I trying to make a sequencer into something it's not?

Comments

mcpepemcpepe Marbella, SpainBeta Tester Posts: 98

This is also possible to do it with the Octatrack, and it is a great feature for making ambient music. It doesn't make use of the sequencer. You simply start any track from the beginning (without any sync) holding the track and pressing start.
    It would be great to have something similar in the Deluge.

This is exactly what I want to do!! Has there been any development with this?

I don’t actually have a Deluge but from watching tutorials I have the beginnings of an understanding of how they work. Correct me if I’m wrong - wouldn’t this work the way you wanted if you just put all the samples in a single kit and set them to “Loop” mode?

This is a workflow I’m interested in as well so I hope someone can confirm or deny this...

Indeed at this point due to the lack of information on this type of workflow I’ve lost interest in the Deluge. Still looking for a sample playback tool that doesn’t require me to have a laptop running Ableton on stage.

Just_Peter118Just_Peter118 The NetherlandsPosts: 42

@SynthEnergy Maybe you can ask this on the Facebook DeLuge Users group. I think you will/can help you with this.

SavageGordonSavageGordon Boston, USAPosts: 12

Are you talking about having multiple playheads? This is a feature request I made ages ago that a lot of people are eager for: http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/152/sequence-track-playback-direction-options-like-fugue-machine

Multiple playheads, the ability to launch very long samples and crossfade between them, etc. Everything above. I should have kept my Octatrack I suppose, but it's a pain to use and you end up relearning the gear every time you have to use it. I'll be selling my Deluge shortly due to this use case as I don't always use short samples and want a bit more flexibility. I thought about the Akai Force, but it can't stream audio from the hard drive/SD Card which means the samples would need to be fairly short. They say that feature is coming, but I neither like Akai nor trust the product to work properly.

I probably sound frustrated, but I've been looking for a tool that does what I'm trying to do for years to no avail. Any of the artists I've seen that do what I'm attempting to do always end up with Ableton on stage, but the last thing I want is a computer up there. I did it with my first concert and it didn't seem to be too much of a nuisance but it just seems disconnecting to the audience somehow.

duelinmarkersduelinmarkers Austin TX USPosts: 137

@rickeverything said:
    I don’t actually have a Deluge but from watching tutorials I have the beginnings of an understanding of how they work. Correct me if I’m wrong - wouldn’t this work the way you wanted if you just put all the samples in a single kit and set them to “Loop” mode?

I think so.

Maybe I misunderstand the request, but it sounds like you'd get what you want with one or more kits set up as @rickeverything suggested, a MIDI controller keyboard or pads, and a sustain pedal.

EddyEddy Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 292

SHIFT + Launch Pad starts immidieatly..