Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Show line number when scrolling up or down

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326
edited February 2019 in Deluge Software Suggestions

If you have many tracks in song view that you arrange in the arranger view it is sometimes very confusing and you maybe don't know where you are.

It would be great if there would be a line number indication for a second when you turn the up and down knob.

1. When you turn it down, it displays the bottom number line of your tracks or arrangement.
  2. When you turn it up, it displays the top number line of your tracks or arrangement.

For example you have 15 tracks in the songview

• you scroll 4 lines down and the display shows 9 then 10 then 11 then 12
  • then you scroll 2 lines up and it shows 3 then 2

So you know that you are on the second track/row and that there is only 1 track above.

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin

Post edited by OdoSendaidokai on

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078
    edited February 2019

good call.
    Upvoted this one, keeping an overview in Song mode is a major issue for me.

Session view is kinda debated (still would love to see but hardware layout doesnt really fit), first two ones, including yours, would be a no-brainer for me.

Hairy details, sorry:

Just to try to view it from a different angle: Deluge gives all the freedom that is needed. I can organize tracks as I want in Song View (or instruments in Arranger view) by ordering (group sections, group track clones, ..), adjusting base color or leaving "empty" tracks in between. Usually I group by section color first, then Drum tracks first, Bass tracks second. But is it is a lot of repetitive work, it is a fun killer. Also tried structuring by grouping track clones together. This way I always know which track is clone of which track but this way muting/unmuting tracks in a section can require a lot of vertical scrolling.

Just thinking about something else, would be cool to get some feedback to know if i should try to elaborate more.
    In Arranger view every row is an instrument. An instrument is one track and 0-n track clones. In Song view every row is a track. A track is an instance of an instrument.
    What if Song view would treat every row as an instrument too?
    To access different track clones an instrument row in Song view can be expanded vertically. To save space it can be collapsed vertically.
    This way Deluge would enforce sorting by track clones. But still be able to show an entire section on one screen by collapsing track clones.
    Also, ordering instruments in Arranger and Song view would affect both view modes, makes it easier to translate from Song to Arranger view and vice-versa.

Post edited by amiga909 on