Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

DELUGE goes OPEN SOURCE

2»

Comments

rczrcz NYBeta Tester Posts: 111
    edited May 2023

they did it... the crazy b$&#(@ds actually did it!

This is exciting news so I can't help but ignorantly speculate on a few things...

Will we get a release of the official toolchain as well for this? I thought one of the issues was that Deluge firmware was compiled on an expensive gcc that enabled some critical features and performance... Also will there be any kind of official framework for compatibility of new features? Especially for FX like a new filter type or something, it would be nice to have a modular setup that wont result in incompatibility, even if you don't have that feature on your firmware...

Seriously CAN NOT WAIT to check out this madness!

Post edited by rcz on
    BolganiBolgani SuomiPosts: 61

@Bolgani said:
    Oh, what programming language and tech stack is the OG source code using?

Still curious about this....

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

@psylens said:
    This is like a dream come true! I hope to contribute! What language(s) are used?

C++/C

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614
    edited May 2023

@norisounds said:
    I'm not sure how the Patreon will be setup but what about also having feature requests that have a "bounty" reward system.

For ex. I as a user want xyz feature and am willing to donate 5$ for said feature and those funds can go to the team/person that contributes to the feature. But I can still support all devs by donating to a general pot of money.

Is that too capitalist 😃

These are interesting ideas. There is lots of workshopping to do how this Patreon will all work, and I imagine it will be messy at the start. I think primarily the Patreon is just a way for the community at large to signal how much they appreciate the coders taking part. The amounts we will be divvying up will in no way come close to what a normal hourly rate is for a dev and I definitely don't want too much focus to be put on 'gittin' paid' which may happen if there are funds created for certain features, and certain devs fighting over which to do etc. The Patreon is just a way for everyone to show their love.
    I think the devs who manage to pull off the big features on everyones wishlists will know how much they will be lauded for the rest of time (haha, statues will probably be made if some things are pulled off), and yeah, if a feature is killer and stable, we could potentially look to license for a fee for the official branch anyway.

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on
    hardwarecorehardwarecore wisconsinBeta Tester Posts: 22

@Ian_Jorgensen said:

These are interesting ideas. There is lots of workshopping to do how this Patreon will all work, and I imagine it will be messy at the start. I think primarily the Patreon is just a way for the community at large to signal how much they appreciate the coders taking part. The amounts we will be divvying up will in no way come close to what a normal hourly rate is for a dev and I definitely don't want too much focus to be put on 'gittin' paid' which may happen if there are funds created for certain features, and certain devs fighting over which to do etc. The Patreon is just a way for everyone to show their love.
    I think the devs who manage to pull off the big features on everyones wishlists will know how much they will be lauded for the rest of time (haha, statues will probably be made if some things are pulled off), and yeah, if a feature is killer and stable, we could potentially look to license for a fee for the official branch anyway.

No doubt, tempering expectations would be wise. But I would also say, don't underestimate how much support may come from those of us with very specific wants and no coding skills of our own. :smiley:
    But that could easily turn into a logistical nightmare for you guys on the Synthstrom team. Perhaps for any really specific, big wantlist projects, let us the userbase work out a gofundme or something and divvy up Patreon bucks for smaller tweaks that people work on.

Maybe a dare system could be put in place. Example: "If anyone is able to code x into the firmware, I will shave my head and livestream myself streaking through my hometown with Deluge in hand."

bnhrschbnhrsch GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 7

This is just so awesome! Thank you! Really curious what will come from it.

RedpandaRedpanda BerlinPosts: 21

Bonkers!

nilscreatesnilscreates nelson, nzBeta Tester Posts: 29

@norisounds said:
    I'm not sure how the Patreon will be setup but what about also having feature requests that have a "bounty" reward system.

For ex. I as a user want xyz feature and am willing to donate 5$ for said feature and those funds can go to the team/person that contributes to the feature. But I can still support all devs by donating to a general pot of money.

Is that too capitalist 😃

YES! totally down for that. Great way to incentivise (and pay) devs

elausoelauso GermanyPosts: 5

I mean, that whole bounty system doesn't have to be done by Synthstrom directly. I think it's totally viable to create a forum thread "I'd love to have feature XYZ. I'm offering 50 USD!" and other users can chime in with their pledges.
    It doesn't have to be a formal process.

nabendnabend Posts: 13

since so many are betting on monetary incentives to push particular features, i wanna point out that this doesn't necessarily mean that the resulting code is of a quality that can be maintained by a broader community. as a result these features won't be merged or may well lead to frustrations among the unrewarded devs if merged.

an alternative approach would be to sponsor specific editions where paid devs ensure a long-term mainenance.

AlterAlter TokyoPosts: 100
    edited June 2023

@hardwarecore said:
    Now, if someone would please whip up a drum kit keyboard mode where the 16 pads can be assigned to play that row's sound by 16 levels of velocity, volume or pitch, I will be first in line with a fistful of Patreon money. :smiley: ;)

16 LEVELS!

Post edited by Alter on
    AlterAlter TokyoPosts: 100
    edited June 2023

_

Post edited by Alter on
    bnhrschbnhrsch GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 7

This is just so awesome!

Delay_DudeDelay_Dude GermanyPosts: 16

Maybe a stupid question but: If a community firmware would cause issues, is there always a save way back to the official firmware? If it crashes or so?

SquidgyBSquidgyB United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 7

Holy moly, this is massive - you guys are truly amazing!