Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Samples From Mars .XML files

2»

Comments

norisoundsnorisounds swedenBeta Tester Posts: 28

Im not the OP so you will have to ask him. Mine have nothing to do with those so cant help.

I should have been clear that I didnt test the OP's xml files. I only used mine on both non-oled and oled deluges.

HannesHannes GermanyPosts: 83

@norisounds said:
    I should have been clear that I didnt test the OP's xml files. I only used mine on both non-oled and oled deluges.

ah ok yeah now the misunderstanding is solved :)

Yours work great on my machine also (at least the ones where the sample names match the names in the xml's).

cheers!

@mrfrostee @Hannes

here is my R script, its in the same folder as the previous xml files i posted.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tg54mo3ixi84xve/AADcQWortqpZpLVvPfI_ONsBa?dl=0

I wrote it on MacOS but assume it should work on other platforms. I added comments to make it easy to follow. you really only need to make a folder on your desktop, copy your sfm samples folder there and copy the default 808 drum kit.xml file from deluge factory kit. update the pathway to your desktop (ie. copy your username and paste it twice). run script.

Installing R is easy. just google it.

If you improve the script, please let me know as I am not the best programmer.

Also, this script can be used for any drum samples that are organized to have 16 samples per folder, just change the input folder name.

@norisounds said:
    @mrfrostee @Hannes

here is my R script, its in the same folder as the previous xml files i posted.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tg54mo3ixi84xve/AADcQWortqpZpLVvPfI_ONsBa?dl=0

I wrote it on MacOS but assume it should work on other platforms. I added comments to make it easy to follow. you really only need to make a folder on your desktop, copy your sfm samples folder there and copy the default 808 drum kit.xml file from deluge factory kit. update the pathway to your desktop (ie. copy your username and paste it twice). run script.

Installing R is easy. just google it.

If you improve the script, please let me know as I am not the best programmer.

Also, this script can be used for any drum samples that are organized to have 16 samples per folder, just change the input folder name.

Thanks a lot for sharing! I will try it and let you hear how it worked out :)

GheedoughGheedough Melbourne Posts: 8
    edited April 2023

Hey all! I'm new to the Deluge and am having trouble with this one. I managed to load a few other multisamples with out issues but not so with this one. Basically, I'm not sure where to place the XML files.

E.g. for KITS, do I need to dump them all flat in the KITS folder? I've tried putting them in folders but they then just don't show up when I scroll through the available kits on the Deluge.

If I place them in the XML files directly in KITS folder, they show up on the Deluge, but they're all named 01. Clean etc). When I tried to play @TheBadPalace's XML files, I got 'CARD' flashing on the (old) screen, which I assume it can't find the samples. I place the samples as described in the XML file path, .e.g. SAMPLES/DRUMS/-Curated Kits/808 From Mars/02. Clean Kit 02/

At first I thought it might be an issue of case-sensitivity ('DRUMS' on my SD card, 'Drums' on the OP's), but when I replaced all Drums with DRUMS in the XML file, that same issue persisted.

When I place @norisounds XML files flat in the KITS folder, they do work, which is great, but they're all called 01. Clean Kit etc, without the name of the drum machine. I've tried placing the whole zip file in the KITS folder, as well as placing them in folders within KITS, but neither show up for me when I browse for them in the Deluge.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Post edited by Gheedough on
    edited April 2023

@Gheedough I dont really understand what you are asking me as you say they work.

If you want the drum machine name in the filename then you will need to change the filenames of each xml file.

Edit - I think i understand. The _SfM kits folder (containing .xml files in subfolders) should be placed inside the KITS folder

If that isnt working, then open up one of the .xml files in a text editor and look for a filepath to the samples. Make sure that matches your samples path. Deluge uses that pathway to find your samples. If its wrong, then they wont load.

I used the default folder structure from the original SFM samples download.

Post edited by norisounds on
    mrfrosteemrfrostee Beta Tester Posts: 2

@Hannes

Thanks for sharing the R script!

I ran it with my Samples from Mars essentials collection from last fall, and everything worked except for an error on "Dr Bohm From Mars" and "Found Sounds From Mars": Error in readWave(file_audio_path) : No data chunk found.

The other 35 packages of kits will keep me busy for a while.

@mrfrostee
    Those files dont have the correct metadata to calculate sample milliseconds.

Batch open the samples in Audacity and then batch save them. Rerun script.

There is another folder with same error but cant remember which one.

edited May 2023

@norisounds said:
    @Gheedough I dont really understand what you are asking me as you say they work.

If you want the drum machine name in the filename then you will need to change the filenames of each xml file.

Edit - I think i understand. The _SfM kits folder (containing .xml files in subfolders) should be placed inside the KITS folder

If that isnt working, then open up one of the .xml files in a text editor and look for a filepath to the samples. Make sure that matches your samples path. Deluge uses that pathway to find your samples. If its wrong, then they wont load.

I used the default folder structure from the original SFM samples download.

Cool, thanks! This was just a case of RTFM in that case. I was expecting the folder to show up in KIT when scrolling through kits in there, but that's not the case. I need to hold down LOAD first and then press KIT to show folders inside it. Seems odd (, but now I know, thanks!

I have some of them working now (505 and a couple others, most show up as expected, and when I audition them the sample name shows up but plays no sound, and some don't show up, but that's probably more user error on my part - just a case of comparing XML file paths with how I've organised everything. My SfM is a few years old at this stage (maybe 4 years old?) so things may have shifted over updates.

You're using the Essentials drums as well I take it?

Edit: I discovered the source of the silent sounds - Windows had copied the folder structure but not the actual samples...adding them all now!

@Hannes said:

@norisounds said:

ah ok yeah now the misunderstanding is solved :)

Yours work great on my machine also (at least the ones where the sample names match the names in the xml's).

cheers!

So yeah, all of @norisounds' work on my Deluge but unfortunately I can't get any of the OPs to work - I always get the card error message as well. When I compare the two files, the main difference I notice is that all values in the OP's files are in double quotes, eg:
    fileName="SAMPLES/Drums/-Curated Kits/808 From Mars/02. Clean Kit 02/BD A 808 Decay F 06.wav">
    and in norisounds' files it's
    <fileName>SAMPLES/DRUMS/_SfM/909 From Mars/01. Clean Kit/BD 909 Clean Long A 01.wav</fileName>

I know next to nothing about that coding or XML, but could that be the source of the issue?

The xml Files from the OP were created under the latest Firmware of the OLED Deluge. If you have a Deluge with old Screen, they wont work. If you have an OLED Deluge, Update to current Firmware and See If the Problem persists.

edited May 2023

@Hannes said:
    The xml Files from the OP were created under the latest Firmware of the OLED Deluge. If you have a Deluge with old Screen, they wont work. If you have an OLED Deluge, Update to current Firmware and See If the Problem persists.

Ah, that explains it. Got the OG version, so they won't work, bummer. At least @norisounds' ones work great - thanks again! Just wish I had the 808 and LinDrum in it ;)

edited June 2023

@Gheedough said:

@Hannes said:

Ah, that explains it. Got the OG version, so they won't work, bummer. At least @norisounds' ones work great - thanks again! Just wish I had the 808 and LinDrum in it ;)

I must have uploaded the wrong folder to dropbox as all the SfM kits are there.
    I just reran my script and put all the files on Dropbox now.

Post edited by norisounds on
    edited May 2023

That's incredible, tak! The Deluge just got superpowers! I may just have to get the update for SfM now - I'm missing quite a few of those

highstandardshighstandards CHPosts: 56

Thank you for that :)

People having trouble with the samples location could use Delleague to semi-automatically fix things:
    https://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/4247/delleague-xml-batch-tool-fix-samples-set-volumes-set-patches-create-synth-kit-folder-lists

I have left team Deluge now and will be removing these from my dropbox. Be great if someone else can share these xml files. So long and thanks for all the fish :)

dimadjembedimadjembe NorwayBeta Tester Posts: 5

:) Thanks appreciate it

dimadjembedimadjembe NorwayBeta Tester Posts: 5

:) Thanks, appreciate it!