β€Ί
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Gold encoder keeps resetting value if turned quickly?

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418
edited December 2022 in Deluge Support Content

Just posting to say I successfully got rid of the problem with a contact cleaner(https://www.retroamplis.com/Contact-cleaner-Kontakt-60-00ml). If using different one be sure is the right type of product.

Used this video for disassembly (), and also removed the pot cap and the nut and ring below the affected encoder.
Sprayed it from the top and the bottom, give it a few turns. Little drops of spray will go around so a good idea is to isolate the part you are working on with a "wall" of paper towels, especially when spraying from the top the top. Absorbed the excessive spray with paper towel.

over and out.

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

Post edited by volsteh on

Comments

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 603

great to get confirmation on this, thanks! wonder how necessary it is to hit it from below as pictured, but glad it worked out !

That's what I thought also when it was already open, but in the end blasted it from both ends.

Bay_MudBay_Mud OntarioBeta Tester Posts: 123

Nice. I'll have to give this a try with mine, as one of my gold knobs is starting to go and I was going to open it up to clean a few of the pads too.

edited January 2023

@Bay_Mud I was also thinking of opening the top for cleaning, but when I saw this disassemble video and what is involved, quickly gave up

Post edited by volsteh on

Bay_MudBay_Mud OntarioBeta Tester Posts: 123
    edited January 2023

I ended up opening my Deluge up today and it wasn't too bad aside from the 32 screws that hold the circuit board to the face plate. I was able to use some cleaner on the shaft of one of my gold knobs (didn't need to spray from the bottom). Not sure how much it helped, but it seems a bit better. I also tried cleaning the contacts of my pads, but that was trickier.

My play button was quite worn (noticeably less black conductive material on the underside of the pad. In the end I used graphite on the offending pad. This helped a bit, but I'm not sure how long it will last (it didn't last long, so I added tiny pieces of adhesive foil tape, which seems more robust for now). I also swapped the row of pads for play, rec, shift with the ones for tap-tempo, sync scaling and triplets, as I never use those anyway. I'll get some new pads if I ever end up doing the OLED retrofit.

I'm going to leave it open for a bit, to be sure. I did notice the screw holes of my wood sides have started to split at the corners, so just keep an eye on that if you do open it op. I've got mine clamped with some wood glue to help strengthen then back up before I reassemble it all.

Post edited by Bay_Mud on