Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

New OLED display

Comments

Makes total sense, I agree.

I'd suggest updating the deposit page so that people not reading the forum know :)

Looking forward to what you come up with!

donsmithdonsmith Auckland, NZBeta Tester Posts: 1

Thanks for the update Ian. Sorry this approach didn't work out. Confident the next attempt will go smoother. Cheers!

EdREdR Dallas TX USAPosts: 51

Good idea, Ian. Meantime I will likely get the custom case I just ordered from you in time to ship my Deluge back for retrofit;)

BaddaddyBaddaddy South ElginBeta Tester Posts: 19

Hehe. I saw the plans have changed for getting in the que. We will stand by! I think it is amazing to have everybody so committed to the furtherance of this instrument. I absolutely love the idea of the retrofit offering. thank you SO SO much for thinking outside the box like this. I can’t wait to send my beloved machine in to get a fun facelift! Hehe.

thank you so much for your commitment to furthering this instrument. It really is awesome! I will await the new instructions to get in the que!

unfilterunfilter WisconsinPosts: 12

@Ian_Jorgensen said:
    Ok. Back to the drawing board. This plan didn't work.

Even if I manage to get back in, I'm not going to take sales from today for it as unfair to those who tried already.

We're not even doing these till November, so we'll take a few days to work out how to get this queue working better.

I'm sorry to everyone who set alarms and has done irreparable damage to their refresh finger.

We'll make an announcement of a new roll out, and try to cause less panic next time, cos there is no need to panic.

We'll be offering this service for the foreseeable, just obviously we know many are going to want as soon as possible. I will structure a better system with more explanation of the various processes.

Thanks for posting, Ian - Appreciate the confirmation that this isn't a limited time thing :)

unfilterunfilter WisconsinPosts: 12

@Ian_Jorgensen said:

Even if I manage to get back in, I'm not going to take sales from today for it as unfair to those who tried already.

We're not even doing these till November, so we'll take a few days to work out how to get this queue working better.

I'm sorry to everyone who set alarms and has done irreparable damage to their refresh finger.

We'll make an announcement of a new roll out, and try to cause less panic next time, cos there is no need to panic.

We'll be offering this service for the foreseeable, just obviously we know many are going to want as soon as possible. I will structure a better system with more explanation of the various processes.

Thanks for posting, Ian - Appreciate the confirmation that this isn't a limited time thing :)

1heUndertaker1heUndertaker UKBeta Tester Posts: 24

@Ian_Jorgensen said:

All good as far as I am concerned ! B)
    These challenges are a brilliant opportunity to shine in resolution !
    I know that you, Rohan, and all the team are excellent at resolving and overcoming difficulties :)
    The Deluge is fantastic as it is, independent of any oled or other change.
    Thank you again for doing what you do <3

what did i miss? ;)

wasn't sure if i was hallucinating when i saw OLED and deluge. i have been under the weather ...

so this is pretty awesome. I haven't been able to train my brain to translate the calc display quickly. hopefully the retrofits go well.

WhiteDonkeyWhiteDonkey United StatesPosts: 2

Man, you guys are so awesome! I am super excited :D

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

we've been working on how to upscale to meet the demand and will be announcing new details for the retrofit on Sept 15th :)

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

OLED is stellar
    OLED retrofit is galactic
    :o

staubistaubi Erlangen/GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 62

It's supercool that you take existing Deluge owners into the new world of OLED display!
    Big Love for Synthstrom audible for that! <3 <3 <3 :)

Brass side of life: JTK

kleinstarkleinstar germanyBeta Tester Posts: 51

OMG!! Whaaat.. news of the day..
    I mean, I am nerd enough to use the device like it was - but thats amazing for browsing. I even wrote a program to create list of patches and kits and now that.. But it looks so good and its small enough to keep the charm :)
    I`m speechless..just wow..

blassnerblassner USAPosts: 5

I thought there was going to be a new announcement on the 15th regarding the OLED update. There doesn't seem to be anything listed on the website. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I'm super excited about the new screen. I have a lot of samples and browsing through them is really difficult. An OLED screen and maybe velocity sensitive pads have been the 2 biggest things on my wish list for upgrades.

rensrens United KingdomPosts: 14

Very keen to learn how to get on the upgrade list. Hope that this will be announced here....I dont use facebook. Friends dont let friends use facebook.

pogodancepogodance United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 57

I think it's the 16th in NZ now?

CADCAD Auckland, NZPosts: 15
    edited September 2022

@pogodance said:
    I think it's the 16th in NZ now?

It is, I thought they were going off US time so we'll see. Got up early again an everything lol.

Post edited by CAD on
    xapxap USBeta Tester Posts: 17

This update is ground-breaking. For one thing, it's a fantastic new feature which I have no doubt will be taken even further with future updates.

More importantly, this vision of committing to a particular hardware platform for the long haul, to the point that even new hardware features are retrofitted on to existing devices...it's downright radical. It reminds me of degrowth, low-tech type approaches to technology, which prioritize values other than insatiable expansion and profit.

Lastly it blows open my imagination of what the future could hold for my Deluge. Previously I had resigned myself to the fact that no matter how much of a game changer it'd be, a Deluge will never have more than one stereo out. But now? Anything seems possible!

tkamtkam GermanyPosts: 4

This is awesome news - I just made the deposit for the OLED.
    Not only giving existing users the chance to retrofit their devices, you also found a fair way for the processing with technical partners all over the world and a random queue. What an outstanding example for the whole tech industry!!

Thanks guys and much love to NZ!!

rensrens United KingdomPosts: 14

Likewise; deposit in. Thanks Ian and team...you folks are really a class act.

moosiqpiplmoosiqpipl Frankfurt am Main, GermanyPosts: 24

Great news!

As much as I appreciate Synthstrom's effort to take care of its customers by offering the OLED retrofit, I personally somehow enjoy the Predator-like LED characters a bit :smiley:

I am, however, slightly concerned that the OLED retrofit might become relevant for future firmware development at some point and the old LED Deluges somewhen might not be supported any more.
    Any statement on this?

((qp))

Great stuff, good system. Do we know if UK partner will also be able to do minor repairs (keypad replace) and indeed the standard refurbs?

1heUndertaker1heUndertaker UKBeta Tester Posts: 24

@pogodance said:
    Great stuff, good system. Do we know if UK partner will also be able to do minor repairs (keypad replace) and indeed the standard refurbs?

There is some info explaining that this will be possible, for the UK the page link is found at the bottom of the OLED page https://synthstrom.com/product/oled-retrofit-deposit/

under the clickable link - UK: Original, or second-hand owner -

https://synthstrom.com/uk-original-or-second-hand-owner/

Looks like yes to "additional services" and replacing encoders etc. Great, thanks.

VJFranzKVJFranzK Los Angeles USABeta Tester Posts: 129

This news LOOKS GREAT! Ordered. Synthstrom again is the company with the best upgrade policies!
    (If there was another electronic part I would wish to add, it would be a dedicated faderbank and / or a multichannel XLR audio input module)

Music, Visuals, Reviews of Synths, Drum Machines, Apps
    YouTube: VJFranzK

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

@moosiqpipl said:
    Great news!

As much as I appreciate Synthstrom's effort to take care of its customers by offering the OLED retrofit, I personally somehow enjoy the Predator-like LED characters a bit :smiley:

I am, however, slightly concerned that the OLED retrofit might become relevant for future firmware development at some point and the old LED Deluges somewhen might not be supported any more.
    Any statement on this?

we have no intention of leaving anyone behind. By its very nature the OLED will always display more stuff than the numeric display, ie, when doing modulation routing you can now see the source and moulator and amount all at once. However, I cant imagine us ever introducing anything or amend anything that wasn't available to all users in some form.

OddScottOddScott Perry County, PennsylvaniaPosts: 3

Would be interesting to have a configurable "Classic" mode to simulate the 7-segment LED displays on the OLED.

AbortRetryFailAbortRetryFail FloridaBeta Tester Posts: 61

Does the OLED retrofit put a stake in the the ground where there's a minimum software version to run the machine? I got some SD cards with 2.0.3 on them...

@OddScott said:
    Would be interesting to have a configurable "Classic" mode to simulate the 7-segment LED displays on the OLED.

Seems like this wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility if the display and pads are controlled by a separate microcontroller.

The dream is coming true! Thank you so so so much for retrofitting the screens. I cannot believe my eyes.
    And also big big thank you for having partners in Europe.

This was the only gripe I had with the deluge. With an OLED screen it is simply unbeatable.
    Much love!

ObliqueOblique UKPosts: 1

I’ve deposited my deposit! Hopefully in time for the first run of UK retrofits. Will I be able to order a faceplate update at the same time?