Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Deluge randomly freezes often enough that I expect it to at some point now.

andrewsaracenoandrewsaraceno portland oregon usaBeta Tester Posts: 4

Ever since i've owned my Deluge its had an issue where after a couple hours of messing around with at times only 2 tracks , just adjusting general settings i.e. filter cutoff, effects , changing sounds on a previously made sequence , it will out of the blue just stop responding at all to any buttons or knobs and sometimes will just get stuck on one ongoing note at the same time . The only thing i can do to get it working is restart it. Im on 4.0 firmware , but even before 4.0 it was doing that . A little over a year ago i sent ot back to Synthstrom for a DC power input repair because the previous owner fried it using a center positive power supply. I honestly don’t use it often , but when I do for an extended amount of time say over 2 hrs , sometimes less , it very frequently experiences the freezing glitch . I try to save often now because when it does freeze all your work is gone because all you can do to un brick it is turn it off. I mentioned on FB forums once but people didn’t seem to believe that no buttons would respond at all so I just gave up on the FB forum for advice . Not sure how to fix the problem . Maybe the previous owner messed up more than just the DC power input , Im not sure , but it does suck when it freezes up on me.

Comments

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

is there a chance you using the same sample when it crashes, like in a drum kit? if you are using stock kit samples maybe download the factory content and replace it on your card, there's a chance a sample got corrupted for some reason....

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

I don't know how to help you but just a quick response to

"people didn't seem to believe that no buttons would respont at all"

I believe you :) It happened to me maybe ten times in total. But nowhere near as often as you describe and also I can't make out a specific cause. My best guess would be that I overloaded it with complicated tasks (like quick switching between cpu heavy presets or songs) but I don't know for sure and as you describe it, it doesn't seem to be the cause on your end.

MagicmixMagicmix United KingdomPosts: 17

Me too. It mostly happens when I want to save but then try to click undo. It becomes completely unresponsive. But at other times, if there is a heavy project and I try to move swiftly (lots of keypresses in a short time), it will freeze even while playing a track, and I can't stop it.
    I think it's to do with keypress whilst it is processing a task, so you interrupt the OS with a key and it then continues with its current task but the 'input' flag has been used before it was in fact set, if that makes sense. The keypress to be used by the input has already passed and been accepted, so the OS can't accept anything as it is waiting for input which was accepted before the input flag was set. I'm not a programmer, but that would be my guess, that the OS is taking input and processing it as done, but that input is lost in the previous OS's actions.

taktak Posts: 31

Yes, I have had quite a few freezing episodes lately so I try to save as much as possible...but then sometimes it freezes or glitches when I try to save...

I've had it freeze where all buttons are non-responsive and I've had it freeze where most buttons are non-responsive (e.g. the volume button works but nothing else does). Generally when it freezes, I hear a constant and uniform sine wave tone until I shut it off.

I've also noticed that when I save and have it collect files, and then make a new derivate beat and save as a collection, it refuses to save - which leads to lost beats which is very upsetting.

And while Synthstrom has been great with many things in general (e.g. OLED screen upgrade, firmware work, building in NZ, design, etc), they don't seem to have any capacity or ability to respond when I have contacted them about my unit freezing, which is quite unfortunate.

16bitsound16bitsound Tampa, FLPosts: 3

Just got my OLED today and on my 10th freeze in 2hrs, atleast I know it is not me?

no_barcodeno_barcode United StatesPosts: 9
    edited September 2022

@16bitsound said:
    Just got my OLED today and on my 10th freeze in 2hrs, atleast I know it is not me?

Are you on 4.1.1?

(don't get me wrong, this thing is still buggy, but 4.1.1 is much better than how it arrived. I couldn't even use it for more than a few minutes.)

Post edited by no_barcode on
    jensgjensg Berlin, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 297

This falls in line with more and more bugs being reported.

The deluge is buggy.

There, I said it.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@jensg said:
    This falls in line with more and more bugs being reported.

The deluge is buggy.

There, I said it.

No, new firmware introduces new bugs. And then they are fixed, which also happens faster if people can provide some useful info about how to find the bugs.

The new OLED screen has introduced new bugs, which are being worked on. One bugfix update has already been released since the OLED was released, and another is right around the corner.

The Deluge is constantly being updated, hence new bugs will also consistently arise and need to be sorted, for the process to continue.

There, I explained it :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

@16bitsound said:

Bugfix updates are coming very soon, there are a few issues with the new screen. Rohan is working hard on it

This is not to trash the crew, I really appreciate them working hard. But: the focus on new features and so on seems misguided (at least for my taste). A strong effort on bugfixing (all of them) and not introducing features or bells and whistles would be much needed IMHO.

But then again: who am I to judge?

taktak Posts: 31
    edited September 2022

I've had a lot of freezing issues pre-OLED and my reports have been (seemingly?) ignored and the problems have persisted into the following updates, so I guess I understand when people say it's buggy.

The system used to be very stable. But now I am in constant fear of a freeze each time I use it. And when you report it and hear nothing back, it doesn't inspire confidence that anyone is taking things seriously

That said I'm also very aware that the Company is a small, hard working team pushing boundaries for everyone's benefits. But stability is a super important aspect. I've lost some of the best beats I've created on this machine due to freezing. I'd rather have software that is rock solid than new features like OLED

Post edited by tak on
    edited September 2022

I have the same issue as @tak : since 4.0 (and after) the once stable Deluge has acted flaky, overwhelmed and error prone.

This is why I chose hardware: to not battle with bugs / updates and so on. A machine needs to be stable otherwise I can just use a computer.

Stability is the defining feature of hardware. If not the only one.

Edit: I don’t expect anyone to work for free, so please put up a patreon or smth else. I would be more then happy to contribute to making this platform stronger by chipping in.

Post edited by jensg on

@Icoustik said:

@16bitsound said:

Bugfix updates are coming very soon, there are a few issues with the new screen. Rohan is working hard on it

All good, the following 6 hours I had 1 crash. Getting better, and love this instrument already. Looking forward to what is to come with the developers.

@no_barcode said:

@16bitsound said:

Are you on 4.1.1?

(don't get me wrong, this thing is still buggy, but 4.1.1 is much better than how it arrived. I couldn't even use it for more than a few minutes.)

That definitely helped, following 6hrs had 1 crash. Excellent device, looking forward to more time spent.

pogodancepogodance United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 57

I've had a fair few crashes since fw 4, that said I got new Euclidean which I never expected. If the crashes got annoying I'd roll back to the brilliant fw3 that I bought it for. Sorry if that sounds sanctimonious and crashes are frustrating but I don't feel it's a value issue if I can roll back to stable version with the awesome features I paid for. Note: I will be inconsistently grouchy about crashes or some similar issue one day, without doubt!

edited October 2022
    Post edited by Icoustik on

hermansmasherhermansmasher AustriaPosts: 26

So my OLED Deluge finally arrived a few days ago with firmware 4.1.2 and just yesterday evening it freezed about 5 times within 4 hours. It happened twice when trying to load a wavetables and the other times while skipping through / loading kits and synth presets.
    So I hope for some more updates! ^^

wiggumpiwiggumpi CanadaPosts: 1

New Deluger here, I'm on the latest update but it's locking up/crashing every 10-15 minutes. Seems like any quick scanning through presets or loading multisamples will consistently crash my unit. Almost every crash has also been during multiple button presses. Would love to know if I'm doing something wrong loading/using samples to the SD card, maybe the unit likes a certain consistent naming convention? I'm only using multisamples and presets from this forum. Also hoping for updates...

Is there any thread/info on recommended SD card management?

SouthSideChi46SouthSideChi46 ChicagoPosts: 2

Mine started freezing up today. It’s happening every couple min. No clue what’s triggering it. Sometimes it’s as simple as pressing play on a drum loop. It’s happening on multiple voices, saved projects, etc. It’s not even a year old and hasn’t had any issues at all until today. So what has anyone done that fixed the issue?

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 603

@SouthSideChi46 said:
    Mine started freezing up today. It’s happening every couple min. No clue what’s triggering it. Sometimes it’s as simple as pressing play on a drum loop. It’s happening on multiple voices, saved projects, etc. It’s not even a year old and hasn’t had any issues at all until today. So what has anyone done that fixed the issue?

would be useful to know your deluge type (OLED or old display), firmware version you are using. are freezes happening while plugged in or on battery power? how charged is the battery?

BorisBoris FrancePosts: 7

Same here : I have a Deluge with Oled retrofit, 4.1.3, plugged in or battery powered, it freezes very often, like every few minutes.
    I have the feeling that it mostly happen when I select / browse a synth, but I am not sure.
    It was stable before the Oled retrofit, with older OS.

nabendnabend Posts: 13

The Deluge is constantly being updated, hence new bugs will also consistently arise and need to be sorted, for the process to continue.

but the firmware could be published following the semantic versioning scheme so that minor version line receive bugfix-only updates.

JekyllJekyll Posts: 3

@hermansmasher said:
    the other times while skipping through / loading kits and synth presets.

@wiggumpi said:
    Seems like any quick scanning through presets or loading multisamples will consistently crash my unit.

@Boris said:
    I have the feeling that it mostly happen when I select / browse a synth, but I am not sure.

Same here :/

Selecting patches or kits freezes the unit with a high-pitched sine(?) tone. I bought an OLED, happened with the stock FW (4.1.0?) literally in the first minutes of use. Happens less on 4.1.3, but still happens. I had a few times with extreme problems (like 5 freezes in 5 minutes), but most of the times I got it down to maybe once a day. So I save a lot.

I suspected the sd-card, but I think then the problem would be a little more consistent? The SD is a "SanDisk Extreme Pro, A2, Class 10, V30, U3, 200MB/s", so neither cheap nor slow.

Really looking forward to a fix. I want to play it live, but can't have it freeze on stage.

PaulFreundPaulFreund GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 11
    edited October 2023

Can everyone with freezes please try the current community beta? There is a bug in the interrupt controller that can lead to interrupts no longer being processed and freezing, and if not there is now a new display of error source that you can make a photo of and post together with the firmware file name so we can take a look :)

Post edited by PaulFreund on
    BorisBoris FrancePosts: 7

@PaulFreund said:
    Can everyone with freezes please try the current community beta?

Will do. Thanks.

PaulFreundPaulFreund GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 11

Quick update on that, the beta from today has improved and extended error display. If you install it and have a crash with an interresting LED pattern you can send a photo :) Not even firmware name is required for that

smbennsmbenn Brighton, UKBeta Tester Posts: 23

@PaulFreund said:
    Quick update on that, the beta from today has improved and extended error display. If you install it and have a crash with an interresting LED pattern you can send a photo :) Not even firmware name is required for that

Hey Paul, can you remind me how to get access to the Beta please?

smbennsmbenn Brighton, UKBeta Tester Posts: 23

Ignore that!

kleinstarkleinstar germanyBeta Tester Posts: 51

@PaulFreund said:

Hey Paul,
    I also had some freezes with error code patterns and I took pictures. Where should we send it? Is this some exception string with location in form of a data matix code? ..very clever stuff ! :)

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 603

@kleinstar if you join the deluge discord, post the screenshot in the #nightly-testing channel. discord link here:
    https://discord.gg/t9fcjuuDkx