β€Ί
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Trance Gate Technique

Hi guys,

Hope you are all good? I just watched a video about the trance gate technique that you often hear in bicep and old hardcore/jungle tracks. Its basically a choppy vocal.

So up until now I have been manually taking an audio sample and either putting it into an arpeggiator with a short gate to achieve a choppy effect but nothing like this video I watched today by underdog academy. I have also tried manually placing short steps of a sample that has been clipped down but it just doesnt sound as good as what he is doing in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxyQNgNKUf8

Now my question is has anyone been able to achieve this effect on the deluge other than the way I have been doing it?

Comments

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418
    edited May 2021

sidechain on the vocal/chords, volume duck to -50?

edit: scratch that, not the same effect and it doesn't go in negative values on audio clips. The closest I get is by closing the filter then patching sidechain in filt. freq. -50, then edit sidechain attack-release. This also doesnt work in audio clips so if its a sample need to go with kits or synth....

Here is a quick demo, basically the kick is sent to sidechain and the sidechain opens the filter on the sample...
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C4WZ1ByOkwnlwzuvcVWSnGLeu2Z7rIZ8/view?usp=sharing

Post edited by volsteh on

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

Another way to achieve this is by modulating the volume with a square shaped LFO. ;)

SlivizSliviz LondonPosts: 45

Thanks for the tips

jsilencejsilence GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 27

Not liking to see the sidechain occupied like this, since there is only one. Really like to use it for separating drums from bass and pads.

Would like to use more interesting patterns for the trans gate effect. Wondering whether the Blokas midi hub could be used to translate the notes to Midi CC which in turn operates the filter. Have to try this.

Yes, that works quite nicely.

Using a midi clip on the Deluge sending notes out on Chan 4. Filtering chan 4 on the Midihub, transforming Note on event velocity to CC and having Note off events set the CC to zero.
    On the audio track with the vocal sample, midi learn the LP filter while the Deluge is playing (and sending notes via the Midihub to return as CC values).

Then it is fun to play with note patterns on the midi track.

phillipadsmithphillipadsmith United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 89

@jsilence said:
    Yes, that works quite nicely.

Using a midi clip on the Deluge sending notes out on Chan 4. Filtering chan 4 on the Midihub, transforming Note on event velocity to CC and having Note off events set the CC to zero.
    On the audio track with the vocal sample, midi learn the LP filter while the Deluge is playing (and sending notes via the Midihub to return as CC values).

Then it is fun to play with note patterns on the midi track.

Video please! :)

I am dog tired atm and low on energy, so this video contains terrible singing.
    Please forgive me. My brain feels like a raisin.

There is some aliasing on the end result. Not sure how to tackle that. Maybe a short attack ramp on the midi notes? Not sure whether that works.

@jsilence said:
    I am dog tired atm and low on energy, so this video contains terrible singing.
    Please forgive me. My brain feels like a raisin.

There is some aliasing on the end result. Not sure how to tackle that. Maybe a short attack ramp on the midi notes? Not sure whether that works.

Wow. Thank you! That MIDIHub is very powerful. Great demo video -- appreciated!

annaluiseannaluise Berlin, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 19

Actually that gives you the ability to draw automation like on the Hapax!

Thinking this through... If the audio in question was loaded into a Kit clip row, would it not be possible to use per-step (parameter lock) automation on the volume to achieve a similar result? I wasn't able to figure out how (or if) I could per-step automate like that, but I was able to record automation that did something similar. Perhaps someone wiser than I can figure this out...?

@phillipadsmith said:
    Thinking this through... If the audio in question was loaded into a Kit clip row, would it not be possible to use per-step (parameter lock) automation on the volume to achieve a similar result? I wasn't able to figure out how (or if) I could per-step automate like that, but I was able to record automation that did something similar. Perhaps someone wiser than I can figure this out...?

You proposed method should work, but when you have a longer vocal sample you'd have to go thru the whole sample and automate it, which can be quite tedious.

BTW: I just saw in the video that I am not filtering for channel 4 in the Midihub patch. Would have to add one midi channel filter node so that not all incoming midi notes trigger the note to CC chain. Adding that node is trivial.

@jsilence said:

@phillipadsmith said:

You proposed method should work, but when you have a longer vocal sample you'd have to go thru the whole sample and automate it, which can be quite tedious.

Yes, and I just read something in the Facebook group that leads me to believe this kind of per-step automation is only possible for Kit or Synth rows, not audio rows (because they are essentially just one step).

@phillipadsmith said:
    ... essentially just one step).

Ah yes, of course.

alphaminusalphaminus United StatesPosts: 44

For me I either manually automate volume or filter per step, or use the sidechain. If you want to use the sidechain for something else, you can always resample your trance-gated instrument.

fabulousfabulous ZΓΌrichPosts: 2

I like gated vocals too (ever since I learned about it from underdog).

My go to is by playing the vocals/sample from another device. I also like to drone choir synth presets with some movement.

Then create a new synth on the deluge and chose the line in as osc.

The sequencer acts as "gater" now.

Dial envelope to taste.

Record mix/output.

Add delay and reverb.

Enjoy.

If you dont have another sample-player it might work by choosing the sample as osc in a synth and set it to mono. Mute another row which you can use to "choke" the played sample...

SlivizSliviz LondonPosts: 45

@fabulous said:
    I like gated vocals too (ever since I learned about it from underdog).

My go to is by playing the vocals/sample from another device. I also like to drone choir synth presets with some movement.

Then create a new synth on the deluge and chose the line in as osc.

The sequencer acts as "gater" now.

Dial envelope to taste.

Record mix/output.

Add delay and reverb.

Enjoy.

If you dont have another sample-player it might work by choosing the sample as osc in a synth and set it to mono. Mute another row which you can use to "choke" the played sample...

Thank you this works great. I was really looking for a way to do it within the deluge without needing external gear and this is the way. Props mate. thanks to the other guys for your comments as well I learnt alot.

DoorDoor GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 6

If you want to go 100% Deluge and if the sample you want to gate is long enough (say one bar), you can also load it into a Kit track using the SLICE functionality, set the MODE to CUT (hold the AFFECT ENTIRE button while setting the mode to do it for all slices at once) and make a sequence where the slices are played one after the other. I see two ways in which you can achieve the gating effect/pause in between the notes.
    1. Place a step on every 16th note and make the steps last a 32th note each.
    2. Place a step on every second 16th note, zoom out far enough that the whole sequence fits on one screen, copy the sequence, zoom in one level and paste the sequence. This has the same result as 1. but should be a lot quicker.

This is not too tedious and gives you a lot of control over which slice goes where and the general articulation of the phrase.
    I hope my explanation is clear. :)