Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Icoustik @ Deluge Dozen #1 - Live-looping workflow

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017
edited May 2021 in Deluge Help

My contribution to the Deluge Dozen #1 first special online event by Synthstrom Audible on Synthstrom TV. 'Make a track in 12 mins and then jam for another 3 mins', using Deluge only to produce sounds.
This is a simplified approach to my workflow of live-looping and creating+performing interchangably, using a template with acoustic drum samples, some multisample instruments, and audio clips for looping ready to go.

1) Using the Launchpad Pro to play sounds from the Deluge, and a MIDI footswitch, I live-loop the drums with an OUTPut-source (i.e. internal resampling) audio clip that records the internal sound, and this clip then sets the tempo of the song.

2) I play some "chucks/ skanks" or whatever you'd like to call them, using a multisample piano, and start looping it with an empty auto-extending instrument clip, via the panel controls. I then close the loop with the footswitch.

3) After simmering into the vibe a bit with some acoustic percussion, I start shaping my idea for a bassline, using a bass guitar multisample (from this pack: https://forums.synthstrom.com/discuss... ), and then record another auto-extending instrument loop with it, 16 bars long for some variation and less repetitiveness. Once again closing the loop with footswitch right at the end of the measure.

4) A few reverb splashes, then I record some chords with a handpan multisample instrument. I make some quick adjustments to its volume level and crank up the reverb.

5) A bit more dub action with reverbs and delays before I start shaping and then recording a percussion track using some synth drums. I'm not satisified with the first take, so I undo the recording after one cycle, and ease into a new recording on the next measure.
I notice that the percussion is a bit loud, so I turn down the clip volume level, and apply a slight bit of filtering to it.

6) Some more dubness, and muting some clips for variation, then I drop in a rainforest ambience sample, and pitch it down for some weirdness and spacey bird sounds.
Applying a little filtering to this clip as well. Then a little more jammin & slammin.

7) Next I set up a drum kit clip to change up to double-time, to seamlessly mute the old drumloop audio clip while unmuting the kit clip. But first, I filter the percussion some more, and pitch down the ambience sample further before changing up the drums.

8) Playing around a little, then I switch the cross-stick in the drumkit up again to make a classic steppas rhythm.

9) Just vibin, dubbin, chillin.

10) Time for a bassline variation. I unmute the old bassline and seamlessly drop into playing. Get into it for a bit, then record another 16 bar loop.

11) More jammin! Dubwise, and some voice samples from one of the first videos showcasing Deluge, back when it was just a baby! Featuring my dawg Ian Jorgensen reppin Synthstrom since the humble beginning.
And that's a wrap!

Post processing with Strymon Deco and some EQ.

Big shout outs to Synthstrom, Ian & Rohan!! <3

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

Post edited by Icoustik on

Comments

staubistaubi Erlangen/GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 62
    edited May 2021

Thanks for the insights. That's super helpful!
    Somewhere I have an older launchpad. Yours seems more capable. Wich version of launchpad are you using?

Post edited by staubi on

Brass side of life: JTK

@staubi said:
    Thanks for the insights. That's super helpful!
    Wich version of launchpad are you using?

Perfect, glad to hear it! :)

I have the Launchpad pro! This is the old version, but I use both the old and the new mk3 version, they have their individual strengths

YwenYwen Paris, FrancePosts: 21
    edited June 2021

Niiiice :) I've been considering getting a Launchpad Pro or Lauchpad X (I prefer the form factor and price of the X) to use in conjunction with the Deluge, how hard it is to set it up? Was everything you needed covered by the Novation Components software? Or did you need to install a custom firmware like https://www.patreon.com/posts/launchpad-pro-30696021 ?

Post edited by Ywen on

@Ywen said:
    Niiiice :) I've been considering getting a Launchpad Pro or Lauchpad X (I prefer the form factor of the X) to use in conjunction with the Deluge, how hard it is to set it up? Was everything you needed covered by the Novation Components software? Or did you need to install a custom firmware like https://www.patreon.com/posts/launchpad-pro-30696021 ?

Actually I route my Launchpad through an ipad to Deluge, using an app called Midiflow to remap/ filter to my needs.
    On the newer Launchpads you'll need to do this in order to use the buttons on the sides to send CC's, notes or whatever to the Del, since they send via the "DAW" port while messages from the pad grid is sent on the "MIDI" port.

JimantronicJimantronic United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 14

Yeah man! Great track and a lovely explanation, thanks :)

@Jimantronic said:
    Yeah man! Great track and a lovely explanation, thanks :)

Cheers! :smiley:

Very cool to see!

JoshElliottJoshElliott United StatesPosts: 1

Very nice. Love it! Also really like the choice of sounds and samples. Are the drum samples you used available anywhere for purchase?

@JoshElliott said:
    Very nice. Love it! Also really like the choice of sounds and samples. Are the drum samples you used available anywhere for purchase?

Thank you! :)
    The main drum samples are the magnificent Big R Dub kit by Drumdrops:
    https://drum-drops.com/products/1970s-rogers-big-r-dub-kit?variant=32979042041988

For the Deluge, I recommend getting the 'single hits' version. Smaller multi-velocity pack, provides three velocities of each articulation.