Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Faster SD Card --> Faster Navigating

Hey y'all. Just wanted to drop this tip in case it's been an issue for anyone else.

I have thousands of samples on my deluge and scrolling through subfolders and the samples themselves was really quite laggy and kinda driving me nuts. I switched from an SDHC I 90MB/s (read speed) card to a SDHC UHS-II 300 MB/s (read speed) card and now it's lightning fast! I can scroll through the folders and (thank god) the samples instantaneously now.

Hopefully this helps if anyone else was having this issue!

Comments

jensgjensg Berlin, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 297

cool. which exact model?

Radius9999Radius9999 Felton, CABeta Tester Posts: 46
    edited November 2021

I found a Kodak version that has the same specs for half the price of the SanDisk on Amazon.
    Kodak 32GB UHS-II U3 V90 Ultra Pro SDHC Memory Card - Up to 300MB/s Read Speed and 270MB/s Write Speed

Post edited by Radius9999 on
    OctavianOctavian CanadaPosts: 67
    edited November 2021

do you think it's more about the Read/Write or about it being UHS-II instead of UHS-I? I have the same as pictured above but mine's 170MB/s @lakevillain

Post edited by Octavian on
    TeslianCowboyTeslianCowboy United StatesPosts: 12

Coming from a photography perspective, UHS, or Ultra High Speed is a classification of transfer speed. So, you're half right both ways; because it's UHS-II, it has a faster transfer speed. Part of the reason that UHS-II is faster than UHS-I is because it has twice as many contact pins, so it's literally at least twice as fast.

mgabormgabor HungaryBeta Tester Posts: 7

But does the Deluge even support these speeds? It's up to the reader as well, not just the card.

Do we have any info on what the supported read/write speed of the Deluge is?

KevvyKevvy ScotlandBeta Tester Posts: 13

@lakevillain said:
    Hey y'all. Just wanted to drop this tip in case it's been an issue for anyone else.

I have thousands of samples on my deluge and scrolling through subfolders and the samples themselves was really quite laggy and kinda driving me nuts. I switched from an SDHC I 90MB/s (read speed) card to a SDHC UHS-II 300 MB/s (read speed) card and now it's lightning fast! I can scroll through the folders and (thank god) the samples instantaneously now.

Hopefully this helps if anyone else was having this issue!

KevvyKevvy ScotlandBeta Tester Posts: 13

i hold down shift, when i scroll, seems faster

armanarman CaliforniaPosts: 5

@lakevillain thanks for the tip!

Radius9999Radius9999 Felton, CABeta Tester Posts: 46

Some real world tests: I tested the card that came with my Deluge - Verbatim SDHC 1 V10, rated at 90mb, and a Kodak UHS-II U3 V90
    . The Kodak has extra pins which I believe the Deluge will not use, so it only runs the same speed as a regular card. On my Transcend USB3 card reader, the Verbatim came in at 41mb read, 31mb write. The Kodak came in at 41mb read, 41mb write. This was using the test from AJA video systems. So I don't think there's really any gain with an SDHC II card because the deluge will not read it at the rated speed because it doesn't have that kind of SD reader installed.

If I'm in error here, please let me know.

I tried the HDXC 128GB version of the OP's card, and my Deluge wouldn't even read it, with stock card contents. I'm going to try testing it with a SanDisk Ultra and Extreme Pro UHS-I. I doubt the difference will be great.

OrthesianOrthesian United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 14
    edited December 2021

Pretty sure the Deluge can only read FAT32 formatted cards (typically 32Gb and lower branded SDHC), not exFAT cards (anything above 32Gb and above typically branded SDXC). You can download special formatting software to change the format of the SDXC card to FAT32 since most OS's won't allow it as an option for an SDXC card. I don't recall which software I used to do it a year ago, but this link will explain the situation in detail with some solutions for you. I have been successfully running a SanDisk 128Gb ExtremePLUS in the Deluge after formatting it to FAT32 for over a year now.

Post edited by Orthesian on
    edited December 2021

I've been using exFAT on a 64GB Flash Air, but I'll try FAT32 on my experimental cards, too. Might make a difference.

Edit: I take that back. It's actually FAT32, as well. I just don't remember formatting it that way, but I did. So yes, it looks like FAT32 is the only format that works. So the 128GB version probably does work, if formatted properly... but the speed difference probably isn't worth the price difference.

Post edited by TeslianCowboy on
    MichaelMichael CanadaPosts: 10

Perhaps the OP's Deluge has a different reader? I tested this myself and there was no difference in scrolling speed. I tested a Lexar UHS-II card against the stock 32GB UHS-I. There was a significant but not earth shattering difference in write speed but the write speed of the UHS-I card that came with my Deluge has not really been an issue so unfortunately upgrading to a UHS-II card will not improve scrolling much. Having said that there are differences between UHS-I cards themselves some do not reach their claimed read and write speeds so it may be worth checking that out. The Deluge already comes with a quality card though that in testing appears to be reaching close to the maximum UHS-I spec.

lakevillainlakevillain Posts: 13
    edited January 2022

I'm not entirely sure I've followed all the subsequent info posted here but in case it helps anyone still sleuthing this, here are a couple videos I recorded back when I switched cards (scrolling through samples on the old card and the new card). I'm not scrolling very quickly with the old card because I'm waiting for the aforementioned lag.

old card:

new card:

Post edited by lakevillain on

Finally got around to testing. No idea where my original card is, because I replaced it with the FlashAir as soon as I got my Deluge in the first place. Here is the testing video. As stated in the description, "Tossing out the old Flash Air and testing new cards. Both the new cards seem equally fast, both much faster than the old one. However, the UHS-I Class 3 card actually freezes the whole system if it is playing while you switch samples/presets. The Ultra is also less costly. So for me, the answer is clear."

Now, I did not know the OEM card was UHS-I, so frankly, until you eventually need more space, I'd stick with that one. My entire library of sounds and songs fit onto my 64GB FlashAir, for instance. So it seems to be only worth upgrading for the space, and again I doubt UHS-II is worth the price.

Honestly, the FlashAir was so slow, and I never actually used the wifi for anything, as it was faster to load it up on my computer's SD card reader. PLUS, the FlashAir would also cause popping if recording an external audio source.

BebopBebop GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 23

Very cool mate, 256 GB is big enough.