β€Ί
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Tip: Better envelopes through modulation.

LegsMechanicalLegsMechanical United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 49

I keep reading that the Ds envelopes leave people wanting. Short max attacks, difficulty finding the sweet spot for decay, etc.. Not so.

Need a longer attack? Modulate the envelope positively with its own attack.

Snappier decay? Modulate the envelope negatively with its own decay.

This has really opened up the synth engine for me. Since I learned this tip, I’ve had zero complaints about the envelopes.

Comments

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

100+

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@LegsMechanical said:
    I keep reading that the Ds envelopes leave people wanting. Short max attacks, difficulty finding the sweet spot for decay, etc.. Not so.

This has really opened up the synth engine for me. Since I learned this tip, I’ve had zero complaints about the envelopes.

Whoa, never thought of this before, I've only tried using negative decay as attack for longer attack time.
    Very nice! Thanks :)

~ Distinguished Delugate α••( β—Ž_β—Ž)α•—

KenoubiKenoubi United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 46

This is extremely useful. (I discovered it too, but it's probably super non-obvious to Deluge newbies. The manual should maybe point it out, or there should be a "stuff the manual doesn't tell you that you need to actually use the Deluge effectively" somewhere.) Note that it does change the envelope's shape, not just its length. That might or might not be what you want, and if the mod depth is low enough it may not make enough difference to matter, but worth being aware of. How much effect different amounts of modulation have is one of the dozens of things I'd like to test and be able to quantify about the Deluge synth engine...

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

@LegsMechanical said:

Awesome tip :) You can get some funky curves for sure. I think it may make more sense to say:

Modulate the attack positively with its own envelope.

Modulate the decay negatively with its own envelope.

@Affectionate_Bee_781 said:
    Awesome tip :) You can get some funky curves for sure. I think it may make more sense to say:

Modulate the attack positively with its own envelope.

Modulate the decay negatively with its own envelope.

Right!

iofiof SpainBeta Tester Posts: 18
    edited March 2021

Very good tips! May be there are any tip to increase the release of a synth? I've tested this idea but i could not increase the time defined by the 50 release value.
    Thanks!

Post edited by iof on

@iof said:
    Very good tips! May be there are any tip to increase the release of a synth? I've tested this idea but i could not increase the time defined by the 50 release value.
    Thanks!

Sorry, doesn't seem to be a way to do that currently

neilbaldwinneilbaldwin UKBeta Tester Posts: 143

@Icoustik said:

@iof said:
    Thanks!

You could post in the Suggesti.... oh, never mind.

KenoubiKenoubi United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 46

@Icoustik said:

@iof said:
    Thanks!

Interesting... modulating the release generally seems to work, but it acts as though there's a hard cap at the value represented by 50. I wonder if that's done on purpose to keep notes from piling up and eventually causing processor overload (and/or just sounding really bad and never going away on their own, since the Deluge lets notes ring out even after you stop playing).

It is possible to affect the Release time to exend it. Try this:

Env 1: 0,20,50,25 (example)
    Env 2: 0,0,0,25

Then set the Release of Env 1 to be modulated by Env 2 at a depth of -50

Hmmmm, ignore me. You can modulate the Release time in the way I described but nothing seems to make it last longer than 50 (about 27 seconds).

@Kenoubi said:
    Interesting... modulating the release generally seems to work, but it acts as though there's a hard cap at the value represented by 50. I wonder if that's done on purpose to keep notes from piling up and eventually causing processor overload (and/or just sounding really bad and never going away on their own, since the Deluge lets notes ring out even after you stop playing).

Indeed, stacking voices will eventually cause CPU overload :)

@iof said:
    Thanks!

Test this: Attack 0, Decay 50, Sustain 0, Release 50. I get around 50 seconds of release this way. In this case the Decay amount controls release length. As soon as you change Sustain to 1 or release to 49 this stops working.

@volsteh said:

Test this: Attack 0, Decay 50, Sustain 0, Release 50. I get around 50 seconds of release this way. In this case the Decay amount controls release length. As soon as you change Sustain to 1 or release to 49 this stops working.

Nice 1! In Cut mode, right?

@Icoustik said:

@volsteh said:

Nice 1! In Cut mode, right?

Tested this on synth, probably same on sample on cut yes, think I don't have a 50 sec sample patch.

Just found out this, maybe is known but is news for me, that if I patch env1 to osc level the volume gets amplified, i used to add voices to achieve this wasting cpu lol.

@LegsMechanical said:

Another viable modulation source is lfo2, then rate and shape are additional controls

thomasgoepferthomasgoepfer FranceBeta Tester Posts: 4

I am unable to achieve this tip...

What I am doing :

• creating a new synthesizer preset
    • setting the attack of Envelope 1 to 50
    • making a connection from Envelope 1 modulation to Envelope 1 attack
    • setting the connection to 50
      => The attack is shorter than it was without the modulation!

The only solution I have found to achieve a longer attack is to make a connection from Envelope 1 modulation to Envelop 1 attack, set to -30. But the end of the attack is too abrupt.

What am I doing wrong ?!