Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

A MAGIC TRICK!! - rediscovering the mighty Deluge

WillWill Middle of NowHere, CanadaPosts: 236

Ok, perhaps it's not 'magic', and perhaps many of you have already experienced this, but....

I've had my little box for about a year and really enjoy my time with it.
The other day, for the first time, I hooked up a 61 note midi keyboard to control my Deluge.

Wow! What a great experience.

I'd been using the Deluge as a standalone piece of gear for so long, I'd overlooked it's full potential as a sound source.

Once I was able to play the synth patches, as well as dozens my own sample instruments WITH VELOCITY, from a large, traditional keyboard controller, it immediately came alive and took on a new identity - one of great nuance and playability.

If you've only used it as an isomorphic controller, without velocity, I'd highly recommend taking a few moments to plug it in and play it as you would any other synth/sampler/piece of hardware.

It truly resurrected my appreciation of the synth engine sounds because of this expressive playability.

SynthSTORM! Deluge

Comments

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

I hear you. I've been playing around with the MIDI functions recently, and a competent MIDI controller adds a lot!

I've been having a lot of fun "learning" different MIDI channels to different instruments/tracks in a composition and then switching among them on the fly, or assigning splits to different keyboard zones to play on different channels, etc. Very traditional MIDI stuff, but good to remember if all you've been doing is programming on your couch in standalone mode. :smile:

@hexagon5un said:
    I hear you. I've been playing around with the MIDI functions recently, and a competent MIDI controller adds a lot!

I've been having a lot of fun "learning" different MIDI channels to different instruments/tracks in a composition and then switching among them on the fly, or assigning splits to different keyboard zones to play on different channels, etc. Very traditional MIDI stuff, but good to remember if all you've been doing is programming on your couch in standalone mode. :smile:

Yeah, I was really blown away. Just to go back to the old school way of playing keys - including the potential to use a sustain pedal - really changes the whole experience. I guess I've always used other gear when I just want to 'play keyboards' instead of implementing the Deluge into that setting.

Glad to know we're on the same page.

All the best,

w

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

reminds me about this one http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/1177/keyboard-view-map-velocity-to-the-16-side-pads
    so cool if there was more expressiveness for the Deluge keyboard

Yes, I agree.
    Before I bought my Deluge, I had a Linnstrument. It was pretty tough to switch from a really responsive MPE controller to the Deluge. In my mind, I keep thinking - I'd gladly pay a shipload more $ to have it all in one package - the Deluge with a Linnstrument's action and sensitivity.

I just discovered that each note in an arpeggio can have its own velocity value by hitting keys at different speeds. This makes for some very cool syncopation-esque effects when some notes are loud and others quiet. Inserting very soft notes essentially puts gaps in the arp.

Playing around with mapping filter cutoff to velocity right now, which is making a kind of "automation" like effect, but playable on the fly.

(This is only tangentially on-topic, though, because you can tweak the velocity values just fine in standalone Deluge mode too... Just really fun to play it live.)

@hexagon5un said:
    I just discovered that each note in an arpeggio can have its own velocity value by hitting keys at different speeds. This makes for some very cool syncopation-esque effects when some notes are loud and others quiet. Inserting very soft notes essentially puts gaps in the arp.

Playing around with mapping filter cutoff to velocity right now, which is making a kind of "automation" like effect, but playable on the fly.

(This is only tangentially on-topic, though, because you can tweak the velocity values just fine in standalone Deluge mode too... Just really fun to play it live.)

Interesting - can't wait to delve into those things. Thanks!

funktreefunktree NYPosts: 128

@Will said:
    Yes, I agree.
    Before I bought my Deluge, I had a Linnstrument. It was pretty tough to switch from a really responsive MPE controller to the Deluge. In my mind, I keep thinking - I'd gladly pay a shipload more $ to have it all in one package - the Deluge with a Linnstrument's action and sensitivity.

A question how did you map "Y" from linnstrument ? I have no success with that

@funktree said:

@Will said:
    Yes, I agree.

By the time I had my Deluge - I'd already sold my Linnstrument.

This week I get my Hydrasynth - so I guess I'll begin to wrap my head around how well they 'play together'

funktreefunktree NYPosts: 128

@Will said:

@funktree said:

@Will said:
    Yes, I agree.

This week I get my Hydrasynth - so I guess I'll begin to wrap my head around how well they 'play together'

"G" I wanted to get that one. ... if you get desktop please report on pad expressiveness and sensitivity thanks!

@funktree said:

@Will said:

@funktree said:

@Will said:
    Yes, I agree.

"G" I wanted to get that one. ... if you get desktop please report on pad expressiveness and sensitivity thanks!

Yes, I got the Desktop.
    I'll let you know, (but I hear the pads are great - you can totally customize their response)

EddyEddy Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 292

@hexagon5un said:

In Standalone Mode if I tweak velocity values in ARP mode over the grid by holding note and turning <>, then all ARP notes have the same velocity as the "root" note?
    The ARP just adds Octaves internally and all have the same velocity...
    or where did I get you wrong?

edited April 2020

The extra octave copies seem to be at the same velocities as the original note, so you won't notice it if you're doing a one-note disco bassline thing, for instance.

But play two notes at once, one with a lower velocity, and you'll notice that all of that one's octave-clones are quieter. Or if you're in standalone, just dial one back. It pulses.

It's cool, b/c if you're doing an "up" arpeggio, and you have the lowest note loud and the higher note soft, you get an on-rhythm pulse, but if you reverse it, you get this backbeat-like, emphasis on the off beats, thing. Swap between "up" mode and "down" mode an you'll see what I mean. That could be a cool live effect, actually.

After I noticed this with Deluge, I noticed that the Novation Peak doesn't do it, and it bums me out a little, because it's otherwise a really nice arpeggiator. Of course, you can just route midi through the Deluge...

Post edited by hexagon5un on
    broughtonfilmbroughtonfilm New YorkBeta Tester Posts: 69

@Will said:

Yeah, I was really blown away. Just to go back to the old school way of playing keys - including the potential to use a sustain pedal - really changes the whole experience.

Is it possible to use sustain pedal? I can't figure out how.

The sustain pedal is an interesting one. I have one controller type keyboard which works with the Deluge, including the sustain, yet right now, I'm controlling the Deluge with a Novation Launchpad X, which sends velocity, aftertouch, and is MPE compatible (which the Deluge will be in the next software update) but when I use a Midi CC command for Sustain, the Deluge doesn't respond...............Very confusing.

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

In another thread someone discovered that the sustain pedal works with the midi track like when controlling an external synth, but the internal synth engine doesn't respond to the sustain.

Interesting, (but disappointing), thanks

Yeah, strangely enough, MIDI sustain doesn't seem to work on the internal arpeggiator, so you actually have to hold all the keys down. Bummer.

If you could convince your MIDI sender to somehow just not send note offs until you lift up the pedal, that would work, but none of the devices I have work that way.

I still like the multi-velocity arp, though, and it's great to use with the internal sequencer, where you can easily edit the different notes' velocities. Playing multiple sustained arps of the same notes, but with different velocities makes for an interesting/subtle evolving rhythmic pattern.

jeppjepp parisPosts: 11

I am using a large 61 key yamaha YC61 to control the deluge wich is the midi séquencer for a moog matriarch, a vermona perfourmer, the YC61 and of course few internal synth and kit .
    ( internal synth which are so with a keyboard with velocity).
    deluge input is also use to record the Revox B77 out.
    This incredible machine could be use at the hearth of a complete studio.

@jepp said:
    I am using a large 61 key yamaha YC61 to control the deluge wich is the midi séquencer for a moog matriarch, a vermona perfourmer, the YC61 and of course few internal synth and kit .
    ( internal synth which are so with a keyboard with velocity).
    deluge input is also use to record the Revox B77 out.
    This incredible machine could be use at the hearth of a complete studio.

Yeah, although there is a Shipload of cool new gear out there, the Deluge still has a place in my heart (and my set up).....