Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Recording into arranger

koolykooly AustraliaPosts: 5

Hi all. I have asked this question once or twice on the FB page but haven't had much luck.... basically i play live from song and clip mode..but when i wish to record the session into arranger as i go i cannot access clip mode. As i have three of four hats kicks and snares in each kit /clip/ song i mute and unmute a lot...i understand i cannot record mute and unmutes this way but does anybody have a workaround which they feel may work and get all of my live performance recorded into arranger...thanks

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

guess u knew that already: cant think of anything better than planning ahead variations and create a new clip clone for every combination of muted kit rows you need. if you dont want to clutter up Song mode with tons of clip duplicates, the only way is to edit your variations after recording using white instances in Arranger. thats what i do. e.g. if a clip with 10 drum rows should get a "small" variation with one row muted, i usually dont create a new clip in Song mode, rather creating a white instance for that in Arranger. In Arranger i separate chorus and bridge parts, chorus parts usually have a clip in Song mode too, so I can loop and modify a chorus part in Song mode.

koolykooly AustraliaPosts: 5

Thanks amiga909 yep...i forgot about White instances ..however am i correct in saying that white instances cannot be copied and pasted or dragged further up the timeline??? i was under the impression that it can only be used once...and you need to make more white instances as you go along in the arrangement.....this could work but still doesn't quite make the work flow very easily... i will continue to experiment thankyou

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078
    edited December 2019

@kooly said:
    Thanks amiga909 yep...i forgot about White instances ..however am i correct in saying that white instances cannot be copied and pasted or dragged further up the timeline??? i was under the impression that it can only be used once...and you need to make more white instances as you go along in the arrangement.....this could work but still doesn't quite make the work flow very easily... i will continue to experiment thankyou

yes. the workflow is not optimal, or let's say it's different.

i do convert some white instances back to normal clips. there is a command for that (pad press + Song, i think). i usually convert them back if a white instance is part of a chorus part. workflow: its not optimal.
    for example if i look at common DAWs like Ableton (<= i am NOT a Ableton power user, might be wrong) or Korg Gadget, you get clip duplicates too.

Translated to Deluge, rows 1,2,3,4,5 would be sections. Here we also have duplicate clips but they dont hurt so much. Duplicate clips are a problem for me on the Deluge mainly because cloned clips easily drift apart (=> explanation: http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/2526/all-parameter-changes-affect-all-clones), Also the Deluge is not a computer screen and the more compact i get my data the better. That's why i try to avoid duplicating clips that should not differ.

Post edited by amiga909 on
    tamlyntamlyn LondonBeta Tester Posts: 32
    edited June 2021

Note for visitors from the Google: to record into arranger, go to song view and press [RECORD] + [SONG] to start recording. See page 157 of the manual "Capturing an entire Song session into Arranger View".

Post edited by tamlyn on