Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Deluge freezing A LOT since FW 4.0

jensgjensg Berlin, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 297
edited October 2022 in Deluge Help

I am sorry, but this is getting really out of hand. 5 times out of 10 the Deluge wont save my projects and keeps crashing. Mostly with a stuck screen while writing to the SD Card. It's spinning the save bar and gets stuck on one.

So all projects are lost completely. This is bad.

What I have done so far: changed SD card multiple times, formatted in all various ways, etc. No difference. Installed the latest 4.0.1 FW. No difference. Checked the SD card slot for debris or dirt. No difference.

Please make 4.0 stable.

Please.

Post edited by jensg on

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

Weird. I haven’t experienced any such crashes on 4.0.1.
    Is there a way to reliably replicate a crash through specific steps? If so, I’m sure Rohan could fix it.

And you said ALL your saves crash? That does sound unusual.

Well it's 50:50. and exactly this is the problem. it's random and i cant find the culprit.

it's mind boggling and tbh I tried everything I can think of. It mostly happens when working longer with the machine, say 2-3 hours of constant beat making. then something gets funky inside the deluge (since fw 4.0) and errors keep happening.

this sometimes is samples cutting out (when previewing new ones), the machine getting very slow, buzzing sound when changing presets, low polyphony (compared to 3.15) and the worst is crashing instead of saving. maybe I overload the machine too much, but then again some kind of cpu meter would drastically help identify this as the reason. which I would be fine with, but right now its a guessing game and I wouldnt trust the deluge with any live work / performance because of this.

there are several threads describing performance problems here on the forum with 4.0 but these seem to get ignored or downplayed. these threads basically got nowhere:

https://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/4699/deluge-randomly-freezes-often-enough-that-i-expect-it-to-at-some-point-now#latest
    https://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/4794/v4-0-1-quick-square-tone-bleep-when-switching-presets#latest
    https://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/4817/save-error-code-will-not-save#latest
    https://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/4802/bug-recording-into-osc#latest
    https://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/4607/update-4-0-caused-audio-drop-outs-in-old-tracks#latest

So I guess I will stick to 3.15 until there is some major change in FW 4. for non-Oled.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

I'm not seeing any of this at all, I have 3 Deluges all over 4.0 and I'm most definitely not seeing "5 times out of 10" failures.

As said, its hard to fix potential bugs if there's no way to replicate them.

But this is definitely something out of the ordinary. Maybe you should send Ian a mail directly, ian@synthstrom.com

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

I am not the only one having these issues as the threads I posted show.

I know, the randomness makes it very hard, especially if the project is lost in the process. anyway, the OSC bug is reproducible, the preset changing buzz is reproducible, the track count issue seems to hit more people also.

But maybe I wrongly of use it as a too extensive sample player / ableton-alternative and the CPU is just not built for this. maybe sequencing stuff (other synths) is fine, but anything more complex seems to choke the machine since 4.0.

@jensg said:
    but these seem to get ignored or downplayed. these threads basically got nowhere

Please don't say things that aren't true at least:
    In the first link I've chimed in plenty of times.
    In the second link Rohan himself has said "thanks, I'll look into it".
    In the third link Too Mere has weighed in and tagged Rohan.
    In the fourth link Too Mere has also tagged Rohan and noted he's able to replicate bug.
    In the fifth link Ian said he has emailed everyone in the thread to "to see if we can find out specifics".
    Did you follow up?

You see what I'm saying. I understand you're frustrated, but don't blow shit out of proportion, please.
    People are trying to help, but again, bugs are much easier to fix when they can be replicated by others, we can't do much until the bugs are found.

Lets not get off on the wrong foot here. As I said, these threads were seen and replied to, but nothing came out of it.

Since 4.0 things got sideways and stability has taken a hit. and at least for me, that is the reason for hardware: stability.

I dont want to argue, I just report findings and odd behaviours that the deluge exposes since 4.0. you can dismiss or ignore it, but I am not alone with this and even if so, it doesnt change whats happening here.

and again: if it's a developer shortage issue, I would be happy to pay for ongoing FW development. but having a firmware that cant be relied upon when using the deluge with heavy patches / samples / kits / songs is rather meh.

If you have any specific heavy patches, samples kits, or songs that performed better on 3.15 than on 4.0.1, please send them to rohan@synthstrom.com
    If a bug can't be replicated by a developer or anyone else, there is no way to fix it, no matter how many developers there are.

Will do.

@jensg said:
    Lets not get off on the wrong foot here. As I said, these threads were seen and replied to, but nothing came out of it.

Well, no, you said they were ignored and downplayed, those things are not equivalent :P But its fine, no stress.
    We obviously didn't ignore them, however as Too Mere said now, it is indeed hard to fix bugs that the dev or users cannot replicate.
    This is not about arguing, we just need to keep a balanced vibe. Again, I totally understand the frustration and I'm dealing with some obscure bugs in the new OLED firmware as well myself. It can be a PITA sometimes.

I hope we uncover some more clues soon, and ultimately have stability for all in any scenario!

Yes thats the spirit.

hey @jensg
    I just got my Deluge (OLED) a few days ago. was working fine until i built a custom kit. I had no issues adding samples to the kit, but when i started playing the kit back the deluge would freeze.

I think i have figured out that the filenames of the samples is causing the Deluge to freeze. So i have taken all the samples i was using in my kit, I have renamed them all to have short and simple names, e.g. Kick1, Snare1 and then added those samples to a new Kit. The new kit seems to work absolutely fine, no freezing at all so far.

When the freezing problem first started I noticed that as I played samples in my new kit the text that normally appears on the OLED showing the name of the sample was getting distorted or not displaying properly. Sometimes the little box that would normally contain the name of the sample would be stretched vertically with some odd characters in it. Thats what gave me the hint that the problem could be caused by something to do with the sample filenames.

I hope someone at Synthstrom notices this. I'm happy to send my broken kit and samples as well as my working kit and samples to the devs to see whats going on.

@cpbarnes if it reliably crashes with that kit then yes, please send the kits samples and instructions to recreate crash to rohan@synthstrom.com

Oh but first make sure you are in the latest OLED firmware, 4.1.2. Thanks!

@cpbarnes : Hmm, I have an Non-Oled Deluge, so I am not sure that the errors you found are related to the crashes I am seeing. But if they are reproducible, you might send the offending files to Rohan.

ElectricRElectricR GermanyPosts: 4
    edited November 2022

Hello all, I have bought and received an Oled Deluge in addition to my existing (rock solid) pre-oled Deluge. It seems, however that none of my Splice samples (one shots) seem to work. I get instant crashes and freeze (including high pitched noise) whenever i try to put a kit together. Any ideas? I love the thing. My old Deluge handles all Splice samples well.
    And yes, i am using the latest firmware on both devices.

Post edited by ElectricR on

A bug was just recently found for the new OLED screens that is caused by underscores used in the file name of samples. It has already been fixed and will be included in the next firmware update 👍🏼

Will there be any more bug fixes for the non oled version?

If there’s repeatable bugs on the old screen firmware it will get fixed.

Also, future firmwares that add features will apply to both old and new screen versions.

I’m sure @rohan will fix that and make an update available as soon as he’s able :smile:

@Too_Mere - that is great News! Thank you!

AlterAlter TokyoPosts: 100

@Too_Mere said:
    A bug was just recently found for the new OLED screens that is caused by underscores used in the file name of samples. It has already been fixed and will be included in the next firmware update 👍🏼

Good news. When using samples with long filenames, My OLED deluge often crashed.

@Alter said:

@Too_Mere said:

Good news. When using samples with long filenames, My OLED deluge often crashed.

Try removing underscores, long filenames are not a problem on my Deluge.

LjkLjk Austin Tx USAPosts: 98

I got the refreshed model with OLED screen. this happens when trying to audition a sample and access certain kits without those samples.

@Ljk said:
    I got the refreshed model with OLED screen. this happens when trying to audition a sample and access certain kits without those samples.

Which kits cause an issue? If it’s not one of the factory kits, send a copy of the kit with samples to rohan@synthstrom.com

LjkLjk Austin Tx USAPosts: 98

@Too_Mere said:

@Ljk said:

Which kits cause an issue? If it’s not one of the factory kits, send a copy of the kit with samples to rohan@synthstrom.com

Thank you I will do this. these kits are not factory.

@Ljk said:

@Too_Mere said:

@Ljk said:

Thank you I will do this. these kits are not factory.

No problem. Def check for underscores in the file names tho. They don’t show up on the Deluge display

are underscores a problem? I have lots of kits that have those too. Maybe they were the culprit of the crashes I have been having?

edited November 2022

@jensg said:
    are underscores a problem? I have lots of kits that have those too. Maybe they were the culprit of the crashes I have been having?

I can’t speak specifically to the crashes you’ve been having, but the files with underscores don’t seem to be a problem on the old display models. Only seems to freeze up and crash on the newer screen/firmware.

Post edited by Too_Mere on

@Too_Mere said:

@jensg said:

I can’t speak specifically to the crashes you’ve been having, but the files with underscores don’t seem to be a problem on the old display models. Only seems to freeze up and crash on the newer screen/firmware.

Yup, my old Deluge handles underscores well.

jscheeljscheel Nashville, TNBeta Tester Posts: 6

I've renamed all of my samples to remove underscores, and I've deleted the temp files the deluge creates. But it still crashes repeatedly on my samples. I have one pack that it inevitably will crash on almost immediately every single time. I can provide a copy the Synthstrom for testing if they would like.