Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Can Deluge handle long samples for live performances?

Hi! I'm a potential Deluge buyer.

I'd like to use Deluge during live performances to play back stems (3-6 minute WAVs) using the arranger mode to launch them similar to how you would in Ableton.

I'd also be using the synth and sequencer of Deluge while the stems are playing.

Would this type of workflow be a problem with Deluge? Is Deluge solid enough to trust for live shows?

I am very excited about the concept of Deluge and would like to purchase it, but I've read a few threads on the forum about people having issues playing back long samples. The threads were from a few years ago, so I'm hoping that maybe these types of issues have been resolved.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

I don't have any live experience with the deluge, but Jeremy Blake has. In this video he explains the setup he used to play a set for the lofi festival. I think it answers a couple of questions you have. :)

delxdelx Posts: 2

@Heptagen said:
    I don't have any live experience with the deluge, but Jeremy Blake has. In this video he explains the setup he used to play a set for the lofi festival. I think it answers a couple of questions you have. :)

Thank you! This video helped a lot. I watched the tutorial and the performance. It looked like he was using a different project for each song. That surprised me. He took a long time to switch between songs. I was hoping everything could be contained into one project, but I suppose that would be unrealistic.

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

Using the Deluge this way -- to just play back stems -- meh. It's not what it's designed for, and you'll just be fighting with the box, instead of using it for what it is: one of the most amazing sequencers around.

In particular, you don't want to be muting and un-muting these long samples, b/c they eventually restart at the beginning of the sample if they're muted for a long while. I think Jeremy even found that out in the video once or twice. (You can work around this by turning their volumes down/up instead...but that's not as direct as muting, IMO.)

Compare and contrast with his more recent performance: There he's really playing the D to its strong suits -- playable, performance-oriented sequencer and brain for the whole darn setup.

Also check out any of the videos in the Tips section. Ian Jorgenson has been posting some really cool ones. Or the videos that came out of the Deluge Dozen. Or just watch Synthstrom TV for a while. :)

You really want to think of the D like a live-playable groovebox/sampler/sequencer more than a DAW or sample launcher, IMO. But to really figure that out, you'll have to buy one and put some time in practicing it. Then you'll get it.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@delx

@hexagon5un said:
    Using the Deluge this way -- to just play back stems -- meh. It's not what it's designed for, and you'll just be fighting with the box, instead of using it for what it is: one of the most amazing sequencers around.

I'll disagree here - its features are indeed well suited to play back long/ large samples.
    Streams directly from SD, no hard limits for length, can use 500GB+ SD cards, etc.

It depends on the workflow. There are multiple ways to do the same thing. If using 3-6 minute WAVs, I'd recommend just slicing them up, since the slicing isn't destructive, and sequencing/ triggering those. Also, set the playback priority to High.

There have been issues with playing long samples in the past, yes, but the bugs have been fixed. Bugs are always fixed as quickly as possible and there are plenty of fix updates frequently dropped :)

It is recommended to especially keep long samples in the native format of 44kHz 16/24bit so that the Delly doesn't need to unnecessarily spend resources on playing em.

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199

I would use something like an sp 404 for long stems and a deluge for the shorter pieces.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@djAzid said:
    I would use something like an sp 404 for long stems and a deluge for the shorter pieces.

Why though?

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

@Icoustik Totally.
    I've used mine to do playback for vocal and dance performance based shows.