Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Update on overlay and panel orders

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

Thanks to everyone who has ordered new panels and overlays for the coming 3.0 update.

The replacement panels have all been shipped. They are arriving with people at the moment, so keep an eye out in the post.

The overlays we are actually having remade as we weren't happy with them. We were totally happy with the quality of the materials, was just the printing and cutting weren't aligned as well as previously, they're well on the way though, not far from sending out to you.

Beta is still on schedule for a July release.

Comments

rogrog Posts: 4

New panel arrived and installed - no issues. Thanks guys.

krunchrkrunchr Mainz, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 70

Today my new panel arrived (Germany). Very well packaged! The panel is surprisingly heavy and seems to be very well manufactured. Now I hope that the replacement will go smoothly. Printed instructions are included.

pfrfpfrf ca, u.s.a.Posts: 165

I’d be grateful if you would post again here to say how the front panel installation went for you. I hope it’s not too difficult. Good luck!

Of course I'll report :) As a former electronics technician I am experienced in such things. I think the biggest risk at the moment is that I don't have the right screwdrivers at home :#

edited July 2019

I'm done, everything is fine. It took almost exactly one hour.

After unpacking the new panel, I noticed that there was a paint flaw (a dot - maybe caused by the spraying process. It could also be a piece of metal dust that's been painted over.).

Post edited by krunchr on
    RhyminGarFunkleRhyminGarFunkle Tucson, AZPosts: 16

I also found the front panel installation to be very simple and straightforward, taking a bit over an hour. The most difficult thing was the PCB screws, which were on very tight - I nearly stripped a couple and if the hardware store had been open when I did the installation, I probably would have replaced them with allen heads. I'm not a professional technician of any sort, just a DIY hobbyist who's comfortable taking stuff apart and putting it back together.

samcsamc Colorado, United StatesPosts: 2
    edited July 2019

Just replaced my panel last night. No problems, as it was very straightforward. Took me a touch over an hour I would say. Only snag was some of the screws were on pretty tight (as mentioned by RhyminGarFunkle above). Just take your time, organize all the bits you remove, and don't forget to breathe. :D

On another note, I noticed that the new overlays have more contrast in the labeling (white text as opposed to the original grey) which is great!

Post edited by samc on

Great news.
    There will still be some 'panels' in the mail but most users should be recieving them at the moment, or next week or two.
    The new redone 'overlays' have been signed off and are being sent to us next week, which we'll then forward on.

feijaifeijai Washington, DCPosts: 43

I do not own a Deluge, but have been loaned one for a while by a friend. It has the new panel. I think it's a fun machine but it has a few showstopper flaws for me which sadden my greatly.

One big one is that the shortcut text is effectively unreadable.

I don't use that word lightly. I have reasonable vision, but I actually had to get out a magnifying glass to work my way through the shortcuts on the panel. In my entire life, that has never happened on any machine ever. That's not good. And these "shortcuts" are pretty critical to developing synth patches.

I would strongly encourage Synthstrom to develop a version of the panel with as large a text as you could possibly put in those margins, even at the cost of shortening words. I was wondering to what degree this could be done reasonably, so as proof of concept I whipped something up in Omnigraffle, making sure I had proper measurements.

The font size in the picture below is very nearly twice the original font size, and could theoretically get a bit larger. The approach uses bold lines for categories (ending in rounded bevels so you can see where they end) and thin lines ending in a T bevel for parameter names. I moved the text of "upper" categories to the top so that you could, if you wished, print the little blue keyboard letters right on top of the category lines. I also tweaked a few of the names, and occasionally made small centering adjustments though I tried hard to stay with the original text when possible.

The only really problematic issue is UNISON, which is the only category starting and ending in the middle of the grid, and thus the word "UNISON" must be in the middle of the grid where it interferes with keyboard letters. But if you moved that category up three buttons -- there's space -- you could stick "UNISON" on the top like I've done with the others and that problem is solved.

(http://cs.gmu.edu/~sean/temp/Larger.png)

Please consider a "large print" version of the shortcuts -- and of the small text above and below the little buttons on the top section too while you're at it.

MPrinsenMPrinsen NetherlandsPosts: 157

@feijai said:
    I do not own a Deluge, but have been loaned one for a while by a friend. It has the new panel. I think it's a fun machine but it has a few showstopper flaws for me which sadden my greatly.

One big one is that the shortcut text is effectively unreadable.

I don't use that word lightly. I have reasonable vision, but I actually had to get out a magnifying glass to work my way through the shortcuts on the panel. In my entire life, that has never happened on any machine ever. That's not good. And these "shortcuts" are pretty critical to developing synth patches.

I would strongly encourage Synthstrom to develop a version of the panel with as large a text as you could possibly put in those margins, even at the cost of shortening words. I was wondering to what degree this could be done reasonably, so as proof of concept I whipped something up in Omnigraffle, making sure I had proper measurements.

The font size in the picture below is very nearly twice the original font size, and could theoretically get a bit larger. The approach uses bold lines for categories (ending in rounded bevels so you can see where they end) and thin lines ending in a T bevel for parameter names. I moved the text of "upper" categories to the top so that you could, if you wished, print the little blue keyboard letters right on top of the category lines. I also tweaked a few of the names, and occasionally made small centering adjustments though I tried hard to stay with the original text when possible.

The only really problematic issue is UNISON, which is the only category starting and ending in the middle of the grid, and thus the word "UNISON" must be in the middle of the grid where it interferes with keyboard letters. But if you moved that category up three buttons -- there's space -- you could stick "UNISON" on the top like I've done with the others and that problem is solved.

(http://cs.gmu.edu/~sean/temp/Larger.png)

Please consider a "large print" version of the shortcuts -- and of the small text above and below the little buttons on the top section too while you're at it.

I have no problem reading the shortcuts myself (with enough light), but you may consider buying the overlay, which has white instead of grey text on black background. This might make it easier to read, especially when there is not much light.

Another improvement would be if in a firmware update all shortcuts were color coded (when you hold shift for a while). For example: all parameters for osc1 blue, all parameters for osc2 red, etc. This will significantly help you memorize the locations of the shortcuts without actually reading the text.

@feijai said:

We sell overlays for this purpose for people who can't see them as well. The black overlay has white text printed on opposed to the grey of the Deluge, and for even clearer text there is the black on white overlay.

feijaifeijai Washington, DCPosts: 43

@Ian_Jorgensen said:

@feijai said:

We sell overlays for this purpose for people who can't see them as well. The black overlay has white text printed on opposed to the grey of the Deluge, and for even clearer text there is the black on white overlay.

Higher contrast text is good, but it's not remotely as good as larger text. I know this because assessment of the diagram I did above was based on comparison with the white overlay version in your available PDF!

I appreciate that you've gone to some lengths to alleviate the issue. But the text needs to be much larger, and the margins between the buttons can accommodate over twice the current font size.

edited July 2019

I appreciate that you've gone to some lengths to alleviate the issue. But the text needs to be much larger, and the margins between the buttons can accommodate over twice the current font size.

You should take a look at the new black on white overlay when people start receiving them, I mean, it's pretty in-your-face, the glossy surface of the print adds to the contrast and boldness. We'd be reluctant to change the print on the panel itself as people don't particularly want the shortcuts blasting at them all the time (even the non-shortcut printed version was pretty popular when we offered it), people very very quickly get to muscle memory of the shortcuts that work for their workflow and the printing then just serves as a little reminder.

But seriously. Check out the black on white overlay, shipping real soon. like...it's really, really clear, it is thoroughly readable. If you still struggle with that, lemme know. I'll honestly be surprised.

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on
    JonesyJonesy VirginiaPosts: 14

Weird. I haven't received my overlay yet. I'm in the US. Did I miss something, which is very likely?

mbangmbang Gothenburg, SwedenPosts: 61

@Jonesy said:
    Weird. I haven't received my overlay yet. I'm in the US. Did I miss something, which is very likely?

I asked the same question in one of the facebook groups and was told that they will send the overlays when 3.0 is released.

JonesyJonesy VirginiaPosts: 14

That works for me. Thanks!

lchatanakalchatanaka United StatesPosts: 13

For those of you that ordered a panel, how long did it take from getting the "order complete" email to receiving the panel? And where are you from? I ordered mine on July 25th (changed my order from an overlay to a panel same day) and got an "order complete email on the 8th, but haven't received anything yet.

MoonWolfMoonWolf United KingdomPosts: 50

Mine arrived two days ago. Thanks Synthstrom guys :)

edited September 2019

My overlay order was complete on March 17 but it hasn’t arrived yet (September 4). I’m in California, US.
    Edit: But I’m not worried about it, it will be here soon enough.

Post edited by pfrf on

For anyone interested, I received my overlay today. I live in California and never received an “Order Complete” message.

Surf_HunterSurf_Hunter Posts: 43
    edited September 2019

@Sascha said:
    For anyone interested, I received my overlay today. I live in California and never received an “Order Complete” message.

Good to know, I'm in CA and have not received anything or notice of shipment yet.

***** Edited *******
    Got mine an hour after posting this. LOL

Thanks Synthstrom, you are awesome!

Post edited by Surf_Hunter on
    moonroommoonroom DenmarkPosts: 18

I got my "Order Complete" message august 8th. Still no overlay. Anyone else waiting? I don't need it before the update of course :)

Still no overlay here. Order completed in March. I wasn’t worried last week, but now I’m starting to think something’s wrong. I’ll give it until next week, I’m guessing the Synthstrom folks are pretty busy right now.

MaxOSMaxOS Los AngelesPosts: 50

I ordered a replacement panel back in July. I'm in California, and I'm also wondering if I should be worried that it got lost in the mail...

lchatanakalchatanaka United StatesPosts: 13

As background, I ordered an overlay and switched to a panel. I received an overlay early this week, then after I talked to them, it sounds like they accidentally sent out the overlay, realized it, then sent me a panel (killer customer support, love you Synthstrom). So panel is still in the mail.

For reference, I got my order complete email on August 8th (placed my order on July 25th), and I live in California. You guys who haven't received your overlay should soon.

edited September 2019

Hey team.

So, ignore the "order complete" messages. Unfortunately our warehouse team didn't realise that generated a message to be sent to customers and they were using that as an internal process meaning that they'd simply printed out the details on an envelope and had it ready to be filled with whatever contents were to go in it. Almost all orders were shipped around 2 weeks ago regardless of when the order was marked as "completed".

Unless you have received an email from me recently (only a few, say 20 people did), then your overlay is well on the way and should be with you any day - merely dependent on your local postage systems.

Now, you don't actually need an overlay to use 3.0 at all. Primarily all it does is simply makes it easier to use the QWERTY with the alphabet printed on the overlay, but you can still use simply touch typing or have a printed out keyboard beside you in the meantime.

The only shortcut printed on the new overlay that is a new feature is:
    Renaming sounds ("drums") within a kit
    There's a new shortcut pad - the pad above arp mode. Shift+pressing that allows you to rename the currently selected sound within a kit.

If you wish to use this functionality without the overlay, you'll need to memorise the placement of that pad.

Anyway, all this stuff will make sense when 3.0 is released, and a printable version of the overlay will be with the online manual, so worst case and you have to rough it for a few days with a printed version, you can do that. You don't need the overlay for any looping functionality, etc - and the wavetable & X/Y modulation sources printed on there aren't in 3.0 anyway, but placeholders.

Apologies for the mess that the overlays have been :/

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on
    moonroommoonroom DenmarkPosts: 18

Thanks for the reply Ian. And I was just a bit impatient, hehe. No mess at all :) Just psyched about 3.0!

da3vda3v TAVARESBeta Tester Posts: 6

I stopped by the booth at Knobcon, and was told that things shipping without lithium batteries (like overlays) tend to travel a lot slower from NZ than things that ship with lithium batteries (like deluges). Maybe the shop can add replacement batteries to the accessories page, for those of us who lack patience? :-)

syncrsyncr Posts: 13

Got my overlay in a few days ago. Just wanted to say how happy I am with the quality and how well it embeds itself. Can't really tell it is there except for the fantastic new label contrast. Really easy to see where everything is now in relation to the bright lights of the pads. Nice work Synthstrom!

hacksnakehacksnake chinaPosts: 12

I‘ve bought a new top panel,but its different with original one, I Need buy new Screws, pls tell me witch screw suit the deluge?