Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Synthstrom Audible Records 01 - Deadline for submission, Aug 1, 2019

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614
edited July 2019 in News

As you may have seen in our latest newsletter, we’ve announced some details on our new record label.

Our first release, a vinyl and streaming collection of tracks from our users will be released in March 2020.

This first release will be celebrated with a proper campaign including publicity and some international launch parties.

We’ve currently got an open submission for any users to submit tracks for consideration, thanks to those who have already contributed! The only specification is that the song is composed on a Deluge, using internal sounds, or it can be using external synths/hardware, etc - we’ll just need to see some evidence of Deluge use, if selected for the collection.

You can find out more details about the release and submission details here

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on

Comments

darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware placeBeta Tester Posts: 222

Great initiative!

pfrfpfrf ca, u.s.a.Posts: 165
    edited July 2019

@Ian_Jorgensen
    I just read through the submission form- “All samples included in this recording are mine or able to be distributed.”
    Is using Goldbaby 808 drum samples or similar not allowed?
    Or are you saying all samples must be legally obtained?

Post edited by pfrf on
    edited July 2019

@pfrf said:
    @Ian_Jorgensen
    I just read through the submission form- “All samples included in this recording are mine or able to be distributed.”
    Is using Goldbaby 808 drum samples or similar not allowed?
    Or are you saying all samples must be legally obtained?

This is only a disclaimer to make people think about it. It's only if people are blatantly sampling existing songs and using percussion sections/vocal samples from existing songs etc. If just files downloaded as part of sample packs (goldbaby etc), there is no issue.

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on

Okay, thank you Ian.

ShadowPilotShadowPilot SeattlePosts: 2

This sounds awesome. I have questions galore.

I created a song entirely on the deluge and have since used it to output some parts to external gear, brought it into Cubase, recorded vox, additional production.

Would the deluge only version be more ideal in this case? (I have video demonstrating the original composition)

Also, does the final mixed version need to be submitted by Aug 1st or is this just for consideration?

Good questions. We have done the same- sent the MIDI to hardware synths and the audio into Logic Pro. We tried to record the vocals straight into the Deluge but found it too difficult. So we recorded vocals into the computer, chopped them into two-bar pieces, then imported them into the Deluge for further mangling.

We’ve done as much as we can in the Deluge itself. The 3.0 update, with looping, file naming, and the ability to record in arranger view, should make these processes much easier.

I listen to Deluge tracks on YouTube, though, and I hear the quality there. I have no illusions that we will be chosen for inclusion in this project, but it has been a great inspiration and now we have a new song because of it. :)

@ShadowPilot said:
    This sounds awesome. I have questions galore.

Would the deluge only version be more ideal in this case? (I have video demonstrating the original composition)

Whatever sounds best is the best version. As long as the core construction was composed on a Deluge - final flourishes, additional instrumentation added is cool as..we just need to see a Deluge was core in its construction.

Also, does the final mixed version need to be submitted by Aug 1st or is this just for consideration?

Best foot forward. Doesn't have to be final version no, but yeah, we won't be listening to things as "demos".

@pfrf said:
    Good questions. We have done the same- sent the MIDI to hardware synths and the audio into Logic Pro. We tried to record the vocals straight into the Deluge but found it too difficult. So we recorded vocals into the computer, chopped them into two-bar pieces, then imported them into the Deluge for further mangling.

This is absolutely fine. If some live instrumentation or vocals are added that is all good. We just need to see that the backbone/composition of the song is made in a Deluge.

Just bumping this, a little reminder, only a week left to submit a track for consideration for our first users vinyl collection. Lots of submissions already, but keep 'em coming!
    Find out more here: https://synthstrom.com/music-label/

@Ian_Jorgensen
    I see on the submission page it mentions tracks will be mastered for vinyl. Do we need to send tracks already mastered for streaming, etc., or will Synthstrom take care of that as well? I have finished mixing our submission, but I haven’t thought what to do about the final mastering process.
    Thanks!

We'll be getting mastered for both streaming/vinyl (if not already mastered for digital)

That’s a relief. Thanks!

Six hours left for submissions. Thanks everybody!

mbangmbang Gothenburg, SwedenPosts: 61

Realised too late that i should submit a track, but since the form was still active i sent it anyway, hope it´s ok., :) Great idea guys!

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

Thanks for the initiative, motivating to get out something.
    Didnt make it on the compilation but excited to see what people have done.
    Would love to hear the entire playlist (180 tracks!) but i guess Ian is not able to publish that.
    Maybe people like to share it here, i'll add mine

(i'll move to a current sc account some day..)
    if anyone fancies Peter Jackson speech samples, for a short time online: https://www.dropbox.com/s/varp2za1l0oomcm/PeterJackson-Interviews-Samples.zip?dl=0

2 details i disliked, hope it is not too obvious my ego chimes in a bit :)

• since it was a Deluge competition i am bit worried the conditions were too vague. in theory any track can be a Deluge track (arranging a few stems..). for me Deluge-only would have been the best, did set this goal for me and using the Arranger i got more "complex" songs than before in a hardware-only setup. Deluge might have the best linear sequencer (= Arranger) in hardware, surely it is unique in the combination with the pattern sequencer (= Song mode).
    • upload anywhere (yt, soundcloud, bandcamp, ..): apart from the fact people can change their uploads during the review, i realized (did not intend this when sending the link) i get more detalis about the review process i actually wanted to know. no big deal, just FYI.
    p_watsp_wats TorontoPosts: 111
    edited August 2019

@amiga909 said:
    Thanks for the initiative, motivating to get out something.
    Didnt make it on the compilation but excited to see what people have done.
    Would love to hear the entire playlist (180 tracks!) but i guess Ian is not able to publish that.
    Maybe people like to share it here, i'll add mine

(i'll move to a current sc account some day..)
    if anyone fancies Peter Jackson speech samples, for a short time online: https://www.dropbox.com/s/varp2za1l0oomcm/PeterJackson-Interviews-Samples.zip?dl=0

2 details i disliked, hope it is not too obvious my ego chimes in a bit :)

• since it was a Deluge competition i am bit worried the conditions were too vague. in theory any track can be a Deluge track (arranging a few stems..). for me Deluge-only would have been the best, did set this goal for me and using the Arranger i got more "complex" songs than before in a hardware-only setup. Deluge might have the best linear sequencer (= Arranger) in hardware, surely it is unique in the combination with the pattern sequencer (= Song mode).
    • upload anywhere (yt, soundcloud, bandcamp, ..): apart from the fact people can change their uploads during the review, i realized (did not intend this when sending the link) i get more detalis about the review process i actually wanted to know. no big deal, just FYI.

Nice! Sounds good. I just followed you on SC (Bay Mud). My un-selected submission is there too.

Would definitely be cool to hear the full 180 song playlist.

Post edited by p_wats on