Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Electric Shocks

SlivizSliviz LondonPosts: 31

Hey guys, hope you are all well!

I was having a jam on my deluge the other night and got an electric shock from one of the pads. It hurt a lot and my arm went numb!
So I checked all my connections, everything seemed totally fine all cables are in good condition and the plug and fuse look fine. I turned everything off and reconnected everything and continued my song and got another shock. So I called a day it before I killed myself lol!!!

I am really confused about this one as I have used this setup before and it worked fine without issues so hopefully someone here might be able to help.

My setup is as follows:

Deluge was running off the internal battery - This I then connected directly to the rear inputs powered monitor speakers via 2x balanced TRS cables.
Arturia keylab keyboard - connected to deluge via midi in - keyboard powerd by ac wall socket
Presonus eris E4.5 powered speakers running off the ac wall socket

I contacted my electrician who told me the wall sockets are all earthed and I did check the back of the wall socket and it appears the earth cable is connected. I also tried plugging my multi plug adaptor into another wall socket and still got a shock when using the deluge.

I tried using a different multi socket extension cable incase something was up with the first one I was using and still got a shock so I suspect its not that.

When I got the shock I heard a pop in the speaker before it happened on both occasions. So I suspect something is up with the speakers?? I did take them out of the equation and tried using my portable LG speaker and didn't get a shock again.

So has anyone got any ideas as to why this might happen other than faulty powered speakers?

Thanks guys



  • 0
    manysoundsmanysounds The GunksBeta Tester Posts: 30

    I suspect static electricity:
    It only happened one time.
    You say you got it from a pad, which doesn't conduct electricity.
    The unit was on battery power.
    If the unit generated that much "free" electricity it would probably fry something.
    The pop noise was your static electronic potential grounding down the speaker line? Probably?
    If it's unrepeatable that's the most likely answer. Occam's Razor.
    If it's still happening then you might have a power supply that's leaking to the ground plane or something really strange. Try different audio cables for a bad ground. Try different power supplies. Does it still occur if the D is powered off of 9v wallwart? The odds of the Deluge being able to generate that much amperage on battery power is tiny and if it was significant to maintain current, not just a momentary shock, that would drain off the battery pretty fast AND fry (at least) the power regulation circuitry maybe/probably.
    Disclaimer: I'm no a master electrician, just a hack engineer who fixes things. YMMV

  • 0
    pbolgerpbolger ChristchurchPosts: 61
    edited June 2019

    It sounds more like static than 240v AC, as I don't think there'd be much left of the Deluge if you were somehow connecting 240v through it. This is reinforced by you saying that you got the shock off the pads. If it was a mains problem it'd be more likely to be off the metal chassis. You'd hold the Deluge and wouldn't be able to let go ....
    If you are sure that it's not static the best thing way to start troubleshooting is to buy a multimeter, which you should be able to get for a few quid. Then you will be able to measure the voltage - and you won't be having to shock yourself to test it. If it's static you won't be able to measure anything, as it will discharge before the meter works, but you may see a spark. If it's mains (you see "240v AC" on the meter) you need to unplug everything and get your electrician mate to work out what's happening.

    Post edited by pbolger on
  • 0
    pbolgerpbolger ChristchurchPosts: 61

    The odds of the Deluge being able to generate that much amperage on battery power is tiny

    I think those (18650 lithium) batteries actually catch fire if you discharge them that fast, although the Deluge is supposed to have protection against this.

    Ian Jorgensen says it's a 'standard' 18650, ie. not one with protection built in.

  • 0
    SlivizSliviz LondonPosts: 31

    Hmmm interesting thanks for the input. The thing is I was able to re-create the shock i got hit like 2-3 times. So if it is static is it anything to worry about and would plugging the deluge into the a wall socket with usb charging get rid of it as it would earth it?

    I spoke to the electrician and he suspects that because the deluge was running off the battery and the speakers were plugged in to the wall socket the deluge was breaking the earth loop potentially. He recommended getting an ac powered mixer and connecting the deluge to that if im using it off battery power to ensure the deluge is earthed.

    What do you guys think?

    Ill also try the multimeter so would I just connect everything up as I had it and then touch the metal chasis of the deluge with everything and get a reading that way?

  • 0
    pbolgerpbolger ChristchurchPosts: 61

    Ill also try the multimeter so would I just connect everything up as I had it and then touch the metal chasis of the deluge with everything and get a reading that way?

    Yes. Just put the two probes of the meter across the points your hands were.

    I wouldn't be trying any more experiments without a meter, but when you get one the first thing to try would be recreate the setup with a different mains (wall) plug. Maybe in a different house. To be clear, the two AC devices are both plugged into the same mains circuit? I have in the past got a shock from two appliances plugged into different circuits which were wired wrong. But that was in a house with cloth insulation which hasn't been used since about 1930.

  • 0
    SlivizSliviz LondonPosts: 31

    Yes I had everything plugged into my socket upstairs. I also tried in a different socket in the same room and still got shocked. I'll try the multimeter then 👍

  • 0
    pbolgerpbolger ChristchurchPosts: 61

    Different sockets in the same room are quite likely to be on the same circuit.

    Maybe you should consider getting a UK Mains Earth Present Tester

    I really wouldn't recommend continuing to test with your body as the testing instrument, but does it still happen if you are wearing gumboots? An electric shock is electricity taking a shortcut through your body. Gumboots would insulate you from the floor.

  • 0
    SlivizSliviz LondonPosts: 31

    I definately think its the speakers because I tried with a different speaker setup and everything was fine. I have contacted presonus and they sent a new pair out. Hopefully thats all resolved then!

Sign In or Register to comment.