Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules & guidelines

Battery is dead

0

Hi

On my Deluge the battery is not working anymore. I loaded it for about 4 hours throu the USB port. LED was blinking green and yellow. Switching it on doesn't work. When i connect it back on USB power it starts.
Also i observed the last time i used the battery it wasn't holding for long time. It was not more than 1,5 hours.

Is simply the battery dead or is it perhaps another issue?

Comments

  • 0
    MetunarMetunar Switzerland

    Strange, i switched it on again without external power and it starts normaly?!?

    Let's see how long this will work.

  • 0
    SamSam WellingtonModerator, Staff

    Hey @Metunar! Sorry I didn't see this post sooner!

    How is your battery holding up now? Are you still experiencing this problem? The kind of battery is a Li-Ion 18650 that's fairly common, relatively cheap and available through a number of outlets. Let me know if you're having any trouble finding a place and I try can point you in the right direction.

    Alternatively, if you are already using a new battery, has the problem gone away?

  • 1
    mbangmbang Gothenburg, Sweden

    I´ve had some weird battery issues aswell, but suddenly it´s ok again.
    The device went black / dead for a while after being left on overnight and connected to USB power, and to the rest of my studio equipment. In the morning i found it lit up, but unresponsive and some weird noise sounding from it. Unplugged it and restarted which worked once but with buggy behaviour. Switched it off and let if charge normally (usb adapter straight from the wall power) and after a few hours it started normally.
    Since then i have only charged it from power socket via USB adapter, and don´t leave it on for lengths of time.
    No problems after that.

  • 0
    SamSam WellingtonModerator, Staff

    Hey @mbang! Thanks for that, I'll let Rohan know about it and get back to you if he has any recommendations :)

  • 0

    Hi, I had exactly the same problem. The deluge didn't switch without external power and when it was plugged all i got was a red/green blinking led. I fixed it by cleaning the battery contact with 90 degree alcohol. It's a common problem with battery related gear.
    Also I "killed" a battery because I try to reload it but it was already 90% charge. as a result the battery lasted one hour.

  • 0
    mbangmbang Gothenburg, Sweden

    @Sam said:
    Hey @mbang! Thanks for that, I'll let Rohan know about it and get back to you if he has any recommendations :)

    Hey Sam, sounds great. I´m happy to help if you need more info or testing. Keep up the good work you guys! :)

  • 0
    Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandStaff

    The battery is a standard 18650, should be easy to pick up locally for anyone. Like this: https://www.batteryjunction.com/lg-d1-18650.html
    Installation takes a few minutes, instructions here:

  • 0
    Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandStaff

    Depends on how its used, environmental factors, not all batteries are equal, etc. Three and a half months in your case is certainly on the lower side from what we'd expect with normal usage.

  • 0
    fluteheadflutehead Frankfurt, Germany

    I had similar issues. My theory is that the battery is only charged when the device is powered off. When working with it on external power, the LED switches to yellow after a couple of hours. I keep it now connected after shutting down, and did not experience any breakdowns.

  • 0
    YogiYogi Germany

    Some more technical data would be helpful. o:)

  • 0
    dest4bdest4b Frankfurt, Germany
    edited March 25

    i charge only with USB via USB powersupply. never had problems.

    do you think there is a general batery problem ? how much deluges are sold? And how much complains about their battery. Of course nobody is normally writing if the battery is in propper condition?

    how you write it it sounds like there are 12 or 33 happy deluge users with working battery and 500 had problems

    Post edited by dest4b on

    www.soundcloud.com/dest4b

  • 0
    Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandStaff
    edited March 25
    There is no battery problem that we are aware of. There is plenty of info online about battery life and how to maximise it. Stuff like this: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Prolong-the-Life-of-an-18650-Battery/
    Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on
  • 0
    dest4bdest4b Frankfurt, Germany
    You should use a USB power adapter .. maybe best with 1A ? i think 500ma of your Apple Notebook USB port is not enough to play with the deluge and charging ?

    I have always used USB to charge and also i am using it, but never had problems.

    What kind of power adapter do you use ?

    Pagenumbers.. blah.

    www.soundcloud.com/dest4b

  • 0
    dest4bdest4b Frankfurt, Germany
    edited March 27

    Of course USB will charge your deluge.
    But if you use a 500mah USB power adapter or your Computer USB port i think 500ma could be to low for charging and Using the deluge with full LED brightness.

    yes and there are no Page Numbers .. do you have your deluge to make music ? Do you need Page numbers ?
    A Manual for charging ? There is a USB Plug.. use USB to charge it . .that works !
    Of course you can use the DC plug because there is a DC 9-12 V Plug .. what do you mean this plug is purposed for ? OMG ! for Charging !

    So com on .. charge your deluge and make music.

    But i think i wont answer your postings in the future.. i only get high pulse.

    Post edited by dest4b on

    www.soundcloud.com/dest4b

  • 0
    patchpatch Ireland

    I’ve just had the same issue last night. Came back to deluge after a cigarette break to find a weird buzzing noise.
    Power switch off and on brought it back for about a minute.
    Tried again an hour later and same result.
    Left charging via usb overnight. Powered up fine for couple minutes then dead again.
    I’m glad it’s just a battery issue probably.
    Will replace batteries tomorrow and stock up for next time.
    What can be done about the risk of it failing again though?
    Is there and option to remove/bypass battery and simply run off usb power to avoid deluge dying unplanned?

  • 0
    patchpatch Ireland

    And if we were to bypass that by connecting the plus and minus contacts (not planning on it, just curious)?

  • 1
    patchpatch Ireland

    Aaaaaaaand this was a false alarm.
    I swapped out the battery and got it going without issue.
    Then realised the other end of the usb wasn’t connected to a charger.
    -The child minder had taken the charger to charge her iPhone!
    Sorry....
    At least I have a spare battery now.

  • 0
    LunaNova7LunaNova7 Los Angeles

    Just got my deluge three days ago, already experiencing some severe battery issues.

  • 0
    rohanrohan Staff

    Hi LunaNova7, I saw your comment in the other thread - have you tried a couple of different power supplies / USB ports?

  • 0
    o0_o0_ SANTA MONICA

    Actually I also got a mild electric current with the Deluge on my lap and powered from USB. power was from a good quality ANKER USB charger, so I doubt its the culprit. ( and it was a heat wave, so I was wearing shorts, ok? )

  • 0
    darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware place
    edited July 18

    Unfortunately this tingle/shock is a well known side effect of switched mode power supplies, I have a bunch of gear that does it. Google "smps tingle" or "smps shock" for more info about the subject, in these days of things like CE regulations for electronic devices it staggers me that it is considered ok for power supplies to exhibit this flaw.

    Example: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/minor-electric-shocks-from-equipment-with-smps/

    Post edited by darenager on
  • 0
    DanyaOrayDanyaOray Texas, USA

    I leave my batteries in the boat in an unheated garage all winter, no problem. I also have a two bank on board smart charger that keeps them topped off and ready to go. It’s a good investment. These newer chargers check the battery level and shut themselves down so you don’t over charge or boil the water out of the battery.

Sign In or Register to comment.