Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Hardware solution (midi switcher?) for midi setups with more than 16 tracks needed?

atimchakatimchak Chicago, ILPosts: 28

Hi all - I know it was previously proposed to use the Deluge's USB out to give a second 16 channels of midi. I have more than 16 midi channels of hardware and was wondering what solutions you have used that don't require changing midi channels on my synths for new tracks.

There are midi switchers out there like the Roland A-880 or Edirol UM 880 and also the Iconnectivity boxes but those are on the pricier side.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

a midi track always sends both on usb midi and din midi afaik. you cant adress more than 16 midi channels on deluge.
    the only thing i could think of is using a midi processor like bomebox. then you could for example divide the pitch range and let all upper notes play on a different midi channel than the lower notes, still sharing the same midi channel on deluge.
    bomebox is nice but pricey, got a raspberry pi with midi for such stuff, cheaper but time consuming.

fenixsongfenixsong United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 45

thanks amiga909, that gives me some great ideas! With multitimbral synths I could set up keyboard splits and easily get the 32 parts that way.
    Also, I checked this out: http://midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm ...haven't confirmed thru use but it looks like this could map the split points to twice the channels. You'd need 2, but with midi thru prior or a splitter atimchak could do what is needed. I'm going to get one for some other needs.

that midisolution thing looks capable, midi powered is very nice.
    u might dig up older hardware midi processors too if you want to go cheap, have an yamaha mep4 i just got because it was 20$.

AXNAXN Gouda , NetherlandsPosts: 5

Is this still not possible? Hoping to get 16+ Midi channels.

VondragonnogginVondragonnoggin California, USAPosts: 199

@AXN said:

16 midi channels only still

I don’t believe there is any plans to separate the USB midi into its own set of 16 channels. I think Ian posted that at least awhile ago.

I think the idea was that the ability to use tracks with built in synths and kit tracks that don’t use any midi channels would be enough along with 16 midi channels for full mixes in such a small machine.

Double Deluges synced, another synced external sequencer, or midi routers to split midi channel to two external synths for layering on the same channel is about the only solution now.

Options for MPE controller support on a separate set of 16 channels routable internally or just use an A/B style 16 channels where Midi A has a full 16 channels and Midi B has another full 16 channels would be nice though.

@Vondragonnoggin said:

@AXN said:

I don’t believe there is any plans to separate the USB midi into its own set of 16 channels. I think Ian posted that at least awhile ago.

I think the idea was that the ability to use tracks with built in synths and kit tracks that don’t use any midi channels would be enough along with 16 midi channels for full mixes in such a small machine.

Double Deluges synced, another synced external sequencer, or midi routers to split midi channel to two external synths for layering on the same channel is about the only solution now.

Options for MPE controller support on a separate set of 16 channels routable internally or just use an A/B style 16 channels where Midi A has a full 16 channels and Midi B has another full 16 channels would be nice though.

Could you explain this please? Do I need one such router to get 32 channels of midi instead of 16?
    And have set a note range or something?

@AXN said:

@Vondragonnoggin said:

@AXN said:

Could you explain this please? Do I need one such router to get 32 channels of midi instead of 16?

It’s still not possible to get more than 16 midi channels out of the Deluge. A midi router or event filter with midi mapper might be able to send a certain range of notes to one external synth set to midi channel 1 while sending another range of notes to another synth also set to midi channel 1. The mapper, or filter would use separate ports to connect they two devices and only allow a certain range to each. Actual programming on the Deluge for midi channel 1 would all still be done on the same track.

It would be a tedious task. You would have an easier time with a second Deluge and sync the two Deluge’s

@Vondragonnoggin said:

@AXN said:

@Vondragonnoggin said:

@AXN said:

It’s still not possible to get more than 16 midi channels out of the Deluge. A midi router or event filter with midi mapper might be able to send a certain range of notes to one external synth set to midi channel 1 while sending another range of notes to another synth also set to midi channel 1. The mapper, or filter would use separate ports to connect they two devices and only allow a certain range to each. Actual programming on the Deluge for midi channel 1 would all still be done on the same track.

It would be a tedious task. You would have an easier time with a second Deluge and sync the two Deluge’s

@Vondragonnoggin said:

@AXN said:

@Vondragonnoggin said:

@AXN said:

Thats exactly what I want, but maybe indeed just save up for a second deluge.

duelinmarkersduelinmarkers Austin TX USPosts: 137

Actual programming on the Deluge for midi channel 1 would all still be done on the same track.

Programming could be done in one track but wouldn't have to be. If you already have a MIDI track set to channel 1, then you can set another to 1a, which will allow it to play simultaneously with the first. (Once you have a 1a track, 1b becomes available, etc.) They'll all send on the same channel, but you get the advantages of editing and performing the tracks separately.

@duelinmarkers said:

Actual programming on the Deluge for midi channel 1 would all still be done on the same track.

Programming could be done in one track but wouldn't have to be. If you already have a MIDI track set to channel 1, then you can set another to 1a, which will allow it to play simultaneously with the first. (Once you have a 1a track, 1b becomes available, etc.) They'll all send on the same channel, but you get the advantages of editing and performing the tracks separately.

Nice. Still would be tedious to map out on a device that could filter ranges per midi output on the same channel.

edited May 2019

I was looking at the iConnectivity Mio10 manual and I think it could do the filtering and remapping part after you use the software on your PC or Mac to set the thing up.

Post edited by Vondragonnoggin on

possibly the cheapest hardware only solution
    http://www.midisolutions.com/prodrte.htm