Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

What's your favourite MIDI controller for a simple and portable Deluge set-up?

Ry_n_IRy_n_I Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 14

I love my Deluge and most of the time I play it without anything else connected. I've recently started using keyboard mode quite a lot since as a guitar player, I find it significantly easier to play than a real keyboard. I do however own an Axiom MIDI keyboard and an AKAI MPD 16 which I use every now and then for recording velocity sensitive performances on the keys and pads.

The MIDI controller I use most frequently is a Korg NanoKontrol 2. I love the small and basic design, and having a row of faders and knobs is the most useful form of MIDI controlling with the Deluge in my opinion. For instance, I often manipulate filter cut off frequencies and delay amounts and it is really nice to be able to have fingers controlling both of these at the same time, rather than having to change fx slots when using the gold Deluge knobs.

So I am quite satisfied with using the Deluge with just some extra control over parameters. My only criticism with the NanoKontrol is that it does not have 5-pin MIDI cable compatibility and only works with USB. Therefore I currently have to be connected to a computer also as the USB MIDI host. This is no trouble at home but for an easily portable live set-up I would love to have something very similar to a NanoKontrol in design but with a midi cable plugged into the Deluge and no computer required.

So my questions to the community are:
-What kind of controllers do you use for a minimal Deluge set-up?
-Are there any other simple, small and affordable ones out there I should look out for?
-Do you have a way of using a USB only MIDI controller with the Deluge without a computer?

Peace.

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

i use an old ipad with iRig2 and some Korg Nanos. looking to upgrade with a Roli Rise keyboard.
    just found this, dont know if crap, but cheap and battery powered.
    https://www.amazon.com/midiplus-AK490-MIDI-Keyboard-Controller/dp/B00VHKM72Q?tag=audiowebazon-20

TenebrousTenebrous EnglandPosts: 49
    edited March 2019

I've actually been building my own little controllers as an experiment.

I firstly made a Raspberry Pi USB MIDI host & router by following these instructions:
    http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/1271/usb-host-midi-interface-with-raspberry-zero
    https://neuma.studio/rpi-as-midi-host.html

You can also buy pre-built things for that, although they are not cheap. For example the RK-005 is €146 / £125 / $165 - https://www.retrokits.com/rk-005/

Then I've made a little joystick using a Teensy, for pitch bend and mod:

The parts:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/CuvHHbuggS8hehaf8

Boring video:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/5gXAyRsjuEGjFr7G8

Now I'm experimenting with something synced to the midi clock:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/CUNgT1ec3XSFj7MK7

Post edited by Tenebrous on
    rensrens United KingdomPosts: 14

I know this is an old thread but have a try with this:

https://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

Plus this: (or any other midi-usb thing really)

https://store.djtechtools.com/products/midi-fighter-twister

Or wait for midi host mode in 3.0...

SaschaSascha Posts: 9

I’ve used an iPhone with camera connection kit and a simple usb hub, along with an app called Midiflow to achieve what you’re trying to do.

darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware placeBeta Tester Posts: 222

Here is a cheaper USB host, works well
    http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-midi-converter

VondragonnogginVondragonnoggin California, USAPosts: 199

I have two old CBX-K1 Yamaha 37 mini key controllers. They run with 6 AA batteries, have assignable mod wheel, full access to sending rpn/nrpn messages, output midi clock if necessary, lists of common CC’s printed on the top. Very easy to send quite a few different midi messages with them. They were discontinued quite awhile ago, but one of them I’ve been using since 1997 when I bought it new, the other (a translucent blue one) I picked up off eBay for $50 a couple years ago. 5 pin connection - no usb obviously. Too old for that.

highstandardshighstandards CHPosts: 56

Roland boutique A-01 + k25m keyboard
    4 banks of 4 knobs, DIN midi, cv/gate, battery powered, mono synth, sysex support. $180 new.

krunchrkrunchr Mainz, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 70

I used the Arturia Keystep. But I'm very unhappy with its extremely sensitive velocity/aftertouch curves. Now I prefer my Minilogue XD as main controller for the Deluge.

neilbaldwinneilbaldwin UKBeta Tester Posts: 143

I use APC Key 25. I can't wait until Deluge V3 gets MIDI host functionality as I'll then be able to plug it straight into the Deluge (currently goes via my iConnectivity interface).

The APC velocity sensitivity is a bit crappy but pretty much every button and knob is learnable by the Deluge so it's pretty handy for performance and the size is just perfect (with no connectors on the rear so you can sit it right in front of the Deluge).

DannoHungDannoHung Posts: 11

Has anyone tried an XKey keyboard? I mostly wonder whether the key action is horrible or not with them.

BitFarmBitFarm Posts: 4

I like my XKey quite a bit. The keys don't have much travel, and I'm not a fan of the mod buttons, but velocity is good and keys are a good size.

The build is very solid, so if you don't mind the clicky laptop/Korg NanoStudio-style plastic keys, it's VERY playable.

Until the Deluge gets host capability, you would need the XKey 5-pin to USB adapter.

Just_Peter118Just_Peter118 The NetherlandsPosts: 42

You can wireless control the Deluge with a Nanokontrol studio. You need the Yamaha MD-BT01 bluetooth adapter and a iphone/ipad.

hurphendalehurphendale PragueBeta Tester Posts: 39
    edited September 2019

I've been using the Akai MIDIMix and it works quite well. I can easily fade/mix/mute tracks and map the 3 most effects of each track.

Post edited by hurphendale on
    pitchblenderpitchblender Glasgow, ScotlandPosts: 24

@krunchr said:
    I used the Arturia Keystep. But I'm very unhappy with its extremely sensitive velocity/aftertouch curves. Now I prefer my Minilogue XD as main controller for the Deluge.

You can select the Keystep's aftertouch curve in the software. The v1.1 firmware has some great new features too. I still haven't found a 'perfect' setup yet as I'm too busy learning how to use it on its own :-/

DiamondEyesDiamondEyes Maidenhead, UKPosts: 39
    edited October 2019

Akai Midimix
    Livid Instruments DS1 looks nice but its sold out everywhere I’ve looked

Post edited by DiamondEyes on
    krunchrkrunchr Mainz, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 70

@pitchblender said:

@krunchr said:

You can select the Keystep's aftertouch curve in the software. The v1.1 firmware has some great new features too. I still haven't found a 'perfect' setup yet as I'm too busy learning how to use it on its own :-/

I know :) But I would like to switch aftertouch completely off, which is not possible also in 1.1.

hurphendalehurphendale PragueBeta Tester Posts: 39

Anyone have any luck with the AKAI MPK Mini MKII, was planning to buy one but now I see just the 1st gen has been tested. Does anyone know if it doesn't work?

manateemilitiamanateemilitia Austin, TXPosts: 69

After getting the velocities dialed in, I'm loving the Linnstrument + Deluge combo. Can't wait for MPE support to really open this up but even as is, recording the velocity/pitch bend/mod amounts/aftertouch into a track really liven it up.

In fact, the biggest reason I got the Linnstrument is because I love the Deluge's isomorphic keyboard layout. If it was velocity-sensitive with aftertouch I probably wouldn't have even gone for an external controller.

funktreefunktree NYPosts: 128

@manateemilitia said:
    After getting the velocities dialed in, I'm loving the Linnstrument + Deluge combo. Can't wait for MPE support to really open this up but even as is, recording the velocity/pitch bend/mod amounts/aftertouch into a track really liven it up.

In fact, the biggest reason I got the Linnstrument is because I love the Deluge's isomorphic keyboard layout. If it was velocity-sensitive with aftertouch I probably wouldn't have even gone for an external controller.

I keep asking the same question the linnstrument have "Y" as modwheel also you can set it to any CC but I cannot get it working. How did you do your "Y" mapping ?

VJFranzKVJFranzK Los Angeles USABeta Tester Posts: 129

I'm hoping to use my NanoKontrol Studio via USB directly for fading, as it does have it's own battery power. Haven't got it working yet

Music, Visuals, Reviews of Synths, Drum Machines, Apps
    YouTube: VJFranzK

manateemilitiamanateemilitia Austin, TXPosts: 69

@funktree said:
    I keep asking the same question the linnstrument have "Y" as modwheel also you can set it to any CC but I cannot get it working. How did you do your "Y" mapping ?

I can double-check a bit later but the way I'm remembering it right now is that I just have Y set to CC1

funktreefunktree NYPosts: 128

@manateemilitia said:

@funktree said:

I can double-check a bit later but the way I'm remembering it right now is that I just have Y set to CC1

Ok, thanks so what do you do on the deluge side. The only thing you can do map CC1 to one of the parameters via learn function. Right ? Can you map CC1 directly to one of the golden knobs ?

FabiFabi ItalyPosts: 14

@neilbaldwin said:
    I use APC Key 25. I can't wait until Deluge V3 gets MIDI host functionality as I'll then be able to plug it straight into the Deluge (currently goes via my iConnectivity interface).

The APC velocity sensitivity is a bit crappy but pretty much every button and knob is learnable by the Deluge so it's pretty handy for performance and the size is just perfect (with no connectors on the rear so you can sit it right in front of the Deluge).

HEY NEIL . What you can all do with this raw of buttons there? How many functions you can give throu Deluge ?

@Fabi said:

@neilbaldwin said:

HEY NEIL . What you can all do with this raw of buttons there? How many functions you can give throu Deluge ?

I think you can assign every button as far as I can remember.

FabiFabi ItalyPosts: 14

@neilbaldwin said:

@Fabi said:

@neilbaldwin said:

OK, but as they are not exactly corresponding the grid of Deluge I had some doubt. I bytheway think that APC40 MKII seams to be a more complete controller.. also due to the double functioion of its on/off 8 buttons and sliders down there.
    Cheers

@Fabi said:

@neilbaldwin said:

@Fabi said:

@neilbaldwin said:

OK, but as they are not exactly corresponding the grid of Deluge I had some doubt. I bytheway think that APC40 MKII seams to be a more complete controller.. also due to the double functioion of its on/off 8 buttons and sliders down there.
    Cheers

No, that is true :)

Oh no doubt the APC40 is the better controller. The APC K25 is just really compact and cheap.

Good luck!

DonchowDonchow FrancePosts: 1

For me, the Novation Launchcontrol is the best midi controler, more quality than the midimix, price cheaper, all the control can be set in 16 layers (all canal midi). I use personnaly two layers of 24 knob/8faders, and its perfect. Very good quality, 3 years of using in liveset and already in the same state

FABºUdaFABºUda ItalyPosts: 13

@Fabi said:

@neilbaldwin said:

HELLO NEIL... SOrry Again...
    Finally got Deluge and really looking forward to controllers-...
    Have read recemtly on the Deluge users group that mostly those akais are not responsive to program change or pattern/track launching....
    Can you confirm that ?
    is it true you can't launch clips from your apc key 25 ?
    And if you can how you map the colored tracks to launch them ?