Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Gain staging on the Deluge

Had the deluge for a couple of weeks and curious if someone could shed some light and give some thoughts on the philosophy of gain staging on this unit.

I have noticed a few times I have got the staging wrong and getting some distortion. Also and thoughts how the default velocity of 64 plays into this (this normally in my mind would be a pretty low velocity/ volume in other DAW and hardware).

Any thoughts and ideas on this are more than appreciated.

Thanks!

-J3

Comments

j3threejayj3threejay USAPosts: 34

I have the manual, thanks.
    I have a solid understanding of gain staging in general and signal flow of the Deluge from the manual. Was looking for some pragmatic advise and thoughts from users.

MafooMafoo Posts: 53
    edited April 2019

I find myself lowering the volume of the individual samples or oscillators and that has helped. Then use the LPF/ HPF and track level to mix. Also i typically do not touch the "affect all" level knob* when in track view - kicking that up to full can get you into clip territory if you have some sharp transients in your drum samples.

If you are using drum samples you might find some success turning those down too. I have a lot of samples from the Maschine sample library and those are all WAY loud when at the default OSC volume of 50 and sound kind of limited. I typically bring them down to around 30-35.

I am not sure what you are doing with your deluge, but if you are sampling you may be encountering the auto normalization function too. I have been struggling with this myself - even sampling internally everything gets boosted like crazy.

Post edited by Mafoo on
    j3threejayj3threejay USAPosts: 34

@Mafoo said:
    I find myself lowering the volume of the individual samples or oscillators and that has helped. Then use the LPF/ HPF and track level to mix. Also i typically do not touch the "affect all" level knob* when in track view - kicking that up to full can get you into clip territory if you have some sharp transients in your drum samples.

If you are using drum samples you might find some success turning those down too. I have a lot of samples from the Maschine sample library and those are all WAY loud when at the default OSC volume of 50 and sound kind of limited. I typically bring them down to around 30-35.

I am not sure what you are doing with your deluge, but if you are sampling you may be encountering the auto normalization function too. I have been struggling with this myself - even sampling internally everything gets boosted like crazy.

Mafoo,
    Thanks for these thoughts and tips. This is the kind of practical info I am looking for!
    Much appreciated!