Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

make software open source

zakdariuszzakdariusz PolandBeta Tester Posts: 8

Hey,

if software were open source(eg on github) or kind of(license can allow to use it only on deluge), it could boost fixing bugs and adding new features(the community for sure will help).

Comments

pfrfpfrf ca, u.s.a.Posts: 165

I would imagine the software side of the Deluge to be a huge part of its value to Synthstrom. I’m not sure why a company would give that away. Personally I think Rohan is doing a fantastic job. Bugs are fixed immediately and there are regular big updates. Do you think otherwise?

I’ve owned two bits of gear that were promising on release but later the features and overall direction were heavily influenced by the most vocal segment of the user community. In my opinion, in both cases the UI became fractured and overly complex.

Who would decide which features would be implemented? And do you think Rohan’s time would be better spent sorting through, fixing, and possibly integrating user code rather than just coding his own ideas? Or would the user download Rohan’s code, modify it, then load it into his/her own machine? How do you envision Synthstrom providing support in a situation like that? How would Synthstrom prevent someone from just flat out stealing their code?

I’m not being argumentative, these are real questions I have.

He can still have ownership of a software - right licence should be used. I imagine sth like elm programming language has, it is hosted on github but still one guy has total power of merging stuff and he decides, what is good/bad for the language.

I'm not saying that Rohan is doing a bad job. I know that this can also be source of problem eg because some people could issuing bugs that will be not from the official build. This is just an idea, not sure if good or bad. I'm a programmer and I can say that developers community is truly outstanding in case of collaborations.

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

Not gonna happen :wink: At least not while the software is actively supported and updated. If one day (far) down the path we decide to stop development, this is something we will of course seriously consider - we are both fans/believers of open source - but it's not a practical idea in this instance/at this time. Rohan is already deep into the next update, and it's amazing.

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326

Nice to hear, even though I don't want this journey to end ;) And you can't throw some breadcrumps here in without giving a hint about the next big amazing thing. That's not fair ;)) #Topic

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin

Thx for anwser. Fully understood

MPrinsenMPrinsen NetherlandsPosts: 157

@Ian_Jorgensen said:
    Rohan is already deep into the next update, and it's amazing.

@Ian_Jorgensen Can you give us a sneak preview on what's in the next update? :)

xapxap USBeta Tester Posts: 17

I completely agree that it's unrealistic to expect Rohan to switch from being a rockstar developer to being manager of an open source community project. And we don't want support time to be taken up trying to distinguish between custom software builds.

However looking down the road, it's clear that someday the updates will slow and eventually stop. When we near that point, it would be brilliant for the code to become open source, to allow the community to keep a beloved device alive and evolving into the future. If I was sure that this would happen, it would make me feel even better about committing to the device, since I would know the project will never be mothballed.

So I think it could be valuable for Synthstrom to commit that they will for sure open source the software "eventually", because that commitment would be a selling point for people who are looking for a tool that will weather the ages. And it would certainly excite my programmer friends :smile:

So I think it could be valuable for Synthstrom to commit that they will for sure open source the software "eventually", because that commitment would be a selling point for people who are looking for a tool that will weather the ages. And it would certainly excite my programmer friends :smile:

Cheers Xap, I appreciate this, though, one massive mistake manufacturers make time and time again, is making promises for things which haven't actually been implemented yet. While an open source route eventually is a serious consideration, we obviously cannot predict the future - if an option that is better for the user base reveals itself that is better than the potential mess that open source could be, we might go a different route. Its far too early to be thinking about this.
    We're not douchebags, we can promise you that.

@MPrinsen said:

@Ian_Jorgensen said:
    Rohan is already deep into the next update, and it's amazing.

@Ian_Jorgensen Can you give us a sneak preview on what's in the next update? :)

It's not that long away, obviously people know w're going to have something special for Superbooth (May), otherwise why go right? We'll tease some things when the timing is right. Some big stuff coming.

MPrinsenMPrinsen NetherlandsPosts: 157

Ok I’ll be patient!! :)