Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Important note concerning SD cards for Deluges purchased between April 12th and July 8th, 2018

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614
edited September 2018 in News

Deluges purchased during the period of April 12th and July 8th, 2018 were supplied with a certain model of SD card - the 16GB ADATA model - which unfortunately a number of our users have experienced issues with.

While it may sound unlikely that there would be a general problem with a card by such a mainstream brand, we are choosing to err on the side of caution. A growing number of our users and even our own staff have suffered data loss when using this exact card model. None have had the same trouble with any other model by a mainstream brand (including the smaller 8GB ADATA card which we had previously supplied).

We hate to see our Deluge users losing music they've created. We are therefore offering users who received the 16GB ADATA SD card a free replacement - a 16GB Verbatim card whose reliability we don't have any concerns about.

As of September 2018, this is the card model which is shipping with all new Deluges too (including for back-orders placed previously).

If you are one of the affected users, with the 16GB ADATA card, to receive your free replacement SD card, please send an email (before the end of September) to cardreplacement@synthstrom.com with your name, postal address, and Deluge serial number. Cards will be sent untracked as standard post. You will need to copy your old card's contents onto the new card. The original, factory-supplied card contents may also be downloaded here (182MB).

In the meantime, and whether or not you choose to take up our offer, we highly recommend that you back up the data from your SD card as soon as possible. This is usually as simple as copying its "SONGS" folder to your computer.

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on

Comments

Note. If you wish to just get your own replacement card, incase you haven't heard, you are able to use practically any size SD card, just with a simple hack (for those bigger than 32GB), details here: http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/1367/64-gb-sd-cards-can-now-be-used

Andy77Andy77 SingaporeBeta Tester Posts: 12

This is awesome , truly appreciate the extent you go to to keep your customer clan happy , satisfied and humming!

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

cool!
    I knew SD cards can be subject to funny problems from experiences with Raspberry Pi. https://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards

My 2 cents:

• Safely remove. Writing on a card with low power can lead to corruption. Maybe just paranoia, i always turn off the Deluge before pulling out or inserting the card.
    • Backup often. SD cards cannot be fully trusted. I also have a backup SD card on me when travelling or doing a gig.
    • Don't go cheap. Not the most expensive, but maybe the second or third expensive :) Warranty is a big factor when it comes to critical hardware. A long warranty proves a product doesnt have loads of issues. Sandisk gives a year which is way more than all others afaik.
    krunchrkrunchr Mainz, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 70

Fair and accommodating. Other manufacturers would probably have been silent about the problem.

Just had an instance of songs disappearing, with this sd card. Deluge no longer sees them. Doesn't effect every song though.....
    Took out card, popped it into laptop, went to drive properties, click on error check drive...It found and fixed a problem. Card then was fully restored and all lost data was back again and readable by Deluge.
    Hope this is useful to anyone!

TMPTMP Denver, CO USAPosts: 4

My SD card just malfunctioned, lost 8 songs and folders are messed up... Read out starting saying FILE and then issues started. 16g ADATA.

Hey TMP, did you read the above note from xochi1234? Perhaps try that, but yeah, we'd advise as soon as possible to replace the card and use another. These 16gb ADATA cards are the ones we have identified as being problematic.

I’ll give it a look. I ordered some new cards. Thanks!

New cards arrived today and I'm moving forward!

alifeinbinaryalifeinbinary Vancouver, CanadaBeta Tester Posts: 19

@amiga909 said:
    cool!
    I knew SD cards can be subject to funny problems from experiences with Raspberry Pi. https://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards

My 2 cents:

• Safely remove. Writing on a card with low power can lead to corruption. Maybe just paranoia, i always turn off the Deluge before pulling out or inserting the card.
    • Backup often. SD cards cannot be fully trusted. I also have a backup SD card on me when travelling or doing a gig.
    • Don't go cheap. Not the most expensive, but maybe the second or third expensive :) Warranty is a big factor when it comes to critical hardware. A long warranty proves a product doesnt have loads of issues. Sandisk gives a year which is way more than all others afaik.

I use freeFileSync for backups like this. They have a ghetto website but it's a great FOSS utility https://freefilesync.org/.