Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules & guidelines

64+GB SD cards can now be used :)

IcoustikIcoustik Norway
edited September 5 in General

From Rohan:
'New fact for the day: although the SD card standard says that you're meant to format 64GB+ cards with Microsoft's proprietary exFAT filesystem, and Windows won't let you format a FAT32 drive bigger than 32GB, the FAT32 standard totally does support going bigger than 32GB - all you need is a special program (link below) to do what Windows won't let you, and format it. After that, Windows is totally happy to read / write to the larger drive. And so is a Deluge.'

In other words, format the card to FAT32 using a dedicated program :)

Program for windows: ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

Program for mac (not tested yet, give feedback): https://admfactory.com/how-to-format-usb-flash-drive-to-fat32-in-mac-os/

Post edited by Icoustik on

Comments

Mac users, please confirm if the linked program works :)

beakerbeaker Adelaide

Don't have a 64gig SD card, but just tested the linked instructions on a 64gig USB key and it works fine.

So it should work with a SD card too :) :)

Great man :) Thanks

I've tested it yesterday. Works great with SanDisk Ultra.

@mike505 said:

Do we know if there's a meaningful difference between Ultra and Extreme SD cards for use in the Deluge?

@six_wax said:

@mike505 said:

Do we know if there's a meaningful difference between Ultra and Extreme SD cards for use in the Deluge?

Fyi for those that come later, mine came this week with an 80Mb/s read time SD card.
    (This is roughly equivalent to streaming ~4-5 minutes of stereo 44.1kHz/24bit audio from disk... per second)

This corresponds to SanDisk "Ultra" speeds, so you can safely save a few bucks vs the Extreme, I'd guess.

I've posted elsewhere (on Facebook), that I am using a 256 GB SD Card from Kingston, formatted as FAT 32. I did not have to use the MAC program above, I just used disk Utility to format it.

ZenEagleZenEagle United States

@drmattproducer said:
    I've posted elsewhere (on Facebook), that I am using a 256 GB SD Card from Kingston, formatted as FAT 32. I did not have to use the MAC program above, I just used disk Utility to format it.

Is anyone else using 256gb or even 512? DrMatt, can you please post the particular model of the Kingston SD you use?
    Canvas Go or React by chance?

I just ordered my Deluge a few days ago, trying to get all my ducks in a row before it gets here.

Pondering going all out for 512gb if it's capable, perhaps a PNY 512 for $150., though that's a helluva lot of folders and samples to navigate at once ..maybe it'd be better for me to get a few 64gb to swap as needed.

Are there any SD brands or types that we know don't work?
    Thanks ..