Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

64+GB SD cards can now be used :)

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017
edited September 2018 in General Discussion

From Rohan:
'New fact for the day: although the SD card standard says that you're meant to format 64GB+ cards with Microsoft's proprietary exFAT filesystem, and Windows won't let you format a FAT32 drive bigger than 32GB, the FAT32 standard totally does support going bigger than 32GB - all you need is a special program (link below) to do what Windows won't let you, and format it. After that, Windows is totally happy to read / write to the larger drive. And so is a Deluge.'

In other words, format the card to FAT32 using a dedicated program :)

Program for windows: ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

Program for mac (not tested yet, give feedback): https://admfactory.com/how-to-format-usb-flash-drive-to-fat32-in-mac-os/

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

Post edited by Icoustik on

Comments

Mac users, please confirm if the linked program works :)

beakerbeaker AdelaideBeta Tester Posts: 44

Don't have a 64gig SD card, but just tested the linked instructions on a 64gig USB key and it works fine.

So it should work with a SD card too :) :)

Great man :) Thanks

mike505mike505 GermanyPosts: 8

I've tested it yesterday. Works great with SanDisk Ultra.

six_waxsix_wax Posts: 38

@mike505 said:

Do we know if there's a meaningful difference between Ultra and Extreme SD cards for use in the Deluge?

six_waxsix_wax Posts: 38

@six_wax said:

@mike505 said:

Do we know if there's a meaningful difference between Ultra and Extreme SD cards for use in the Deluge?

Fyi for those that come later, mine came this week with an 80Mb/s read time SD card.
    (This is roughly equivalent to streaming ~4-5 minutes of stereo 44.1kHz/24bit audio from disk... per second)

This corresponds to SanDisk "Ultra" speeds, so you can safely save a few bucks vs the Extreme, I'd guess.

I've posted elsewhere (on Facebook), that I am using a 256 GB SD Card from Kingston, formatted as FAT 32. I did not have to use the MAC program above, I just used disk Utility to format it.

ZenEagleZenEagle United StatesPosts: 4

@drmattproducer said:
    I've posted elsewhere (on Facebook), that I am using a 256 GB SD Card from Kingston, formatted as FAT 32. I did not have to use the MAC program above, I just used disk Utility to format it.

Is anyone else using 256gb or even 512? DrMatt, can you please post the particular model of the Kingston SD you use?
    Canvas Go or React by chance?

I just ordered my Deluge a few days ago, trying to get all my ducks in a row before it gets here.

Pondering going all out for 512gb if it's capable, perhaps a PNY 512 for $150., though that's a helluva lot of folders and samples to navigate at once ..maybe it'd be better for me to get a few 64gb to swap as needed.

Are there any SD brands or types that we know don't work?
    Thanks ..

PancitoKill85PancitoKill85 Buenos Aires ArgentinaPosts: 8

Hello, say I buy a 64gb Sandisk Ultra... will it work?

cypher79cypher79 UKPosts: 157

@PancitoKill85 said:
    Hello, say I buy a 64gb Sandisk Ultra... will it work?

It should do if you format it with the program linked in the first post in this thread.

As far as I know, the limit for FAT32 is 2 terabytes :)

3lektronika3lektronika germanyBeta Tester Posts: 7

lexar 2000x 64 GB dont work for me:(!

fryyyyfryyyy germanyPosts: 161

@Icoustik said:
    As far as I know, the limit for FAT32 is 2 terabytes :)

The day will end before you navigated the folder structure in a deluge :lol:

VondragonnogginVondragonnoggin California, USAPosts: 199

I was able to format a 128gb Sandisk ultra A.S. fat32 using GUIformat, but after transferring many samples to it, Windows stopped being able to read the file structure. The sd card showed 57gb free, but would not show my directories or files that I had transferred to it. I had to fix the GUIformat program to run in Windows 8 compatibility mode to even get it to format the 128gb drive as fat32 first. I’m going to try a Linux bootable cd and see if I can get it to read and write better to the fat32 sd card. I have all my samples on a usb drive and could transfer them to the sd card using the Linux OS running on cd and RAM. I’ll let you know how it works out, but too many issues trying to get it done in Native win 10. Kind of disappointed because both my mv8800’s are running 128gb ssd pata drives and hold all my samples plus a bunch of Roland multisamples for S750 that the mv8800 reads with plenty of room still for writing songs and projects, so 128gb is about perfect for me for the Deluge if I can get it to work. If the Deluge were able to save songs as complete works with samples used in them in separate song directories, then I could just delete samples that were in general samples folder and put new ones in on the 32gb card, but as it is now, there is no way of knowing the path and exact files used without tedious manual reading or rewriting the xml file to have samples saved off and point to a new path.

Maybe a suggestion to have the Deluge be able to copy the sample into the song folder and point to it there once the sample has been chosen and then the xml and sample would stay intact and samples could easily be swapped out of the SAMPLES folder without affecting songs already written.

GameDudeGameDude EarthPosts: 51

@3lektronika said:
    lexar 2000x 64 GB dont work for me:(!

Ever get it working?

RblanchRblanch USAPosts: 4

I have been using a Samsung Evo Select 512 GB microSD without issues (so far).

VondragonnogginVondragonnoggin California, USAPosts: 199

Finally got around to putting Linux Mint 19.1 on an old Acer laptop I had. Formatted the 128GB as Fat32 and transferred everything from the 32GB card to the new 128GB and added the samples from my collection I had left out due to space issues with 32GB.

Popped it in the Deluge and all my songs worked that I had before plus another 40+ GB of samples on there and 64GB free approximately.

I just left the folder structure intact and added directories full of my samples to the SAMPLES folder.

Everything good to go.

aquapheraquapher CanadaPosts: 10

Finally got around to this - flash air 64 with downrush installed.
    Perfect!

scorelabscorelab DeutschlandPosts: 1

Hello, is there any special setting in the allcation unit size?

Ctrl_VCtrl_V United StatesPosts: 5
    edited February 2020

Hey Delugers! I just picked up a 128gb Samsung Card and in the properties it shows it's already FAT32.
    I carbon coppied the Factory 16gb memory card that comes with the Deluge and tried loading it.

On power on, the Deluge flashes FOLD and I cannot select any Synths or Kits.

What am I missing here?

Post edited by Ctrl_V on
    p_watsp_wats TorontoPosts: 111

@Ctrl_V said:
    Hey Delugers! I just picked up a 128gb Samsung Card and in the properties it shows it's already FAT32.
    I carbon coppied the Factory 16gb memory card that comes with the Deluge and tried loading it.

What am I missing here?

What's in the root of your SD card now? Should only be certain folders.

Ctrl_VCtrl_V United StatesPosts: 5

@p_wats said:

@Ctrl_V said:

What am I missing here?

Hey, thanks for your outreach p_wats. I ended up using a different FAT32 converter and it worked.
    Maybe had something to do with the card being too large. Here is the converter I used for any other traveler.

https://www.verbatim.com/index/search.php?words=fat32+tool

We're all set now :smile:

udelugeudeluge germanyPosts: 61

From my experience, not only on the deluge, don't trust the file system that is on your SD-Card when you buy it or the one Windows build in format function puts on it. Had lots of problems with different other devices, like the 1010music blackbox, Epsi Loader and more. I prefer the tool rufus and there are several others that put a correct FAT32 or extFAT on your SD-Card.

facebook is evil

NyankoNyanko FrancePosts: 8

I just posted a question on this topic. Now I am glad I can buy 64gb+ Toshiba Flash air cards for the deluge!

BenBen Albuquerque, NM, USABeta Tester Posts: 7

Just wanted to chime in that I installed a 128GB SanDisk Ultra SD card in my Deluge yesterday with no problems. Formatted as FAT32 in Disk Utility on MacOS without any hiccups, copied over a ton of samples and synth presets, and everything seems to be working perfectly so far!

ModulatiaModulatia United StatesPosts: 4

@Ctrl_V said:

@p_wats said:

@Ctrl_V said:

What am I missing here?

Hey, thanks for your outreach p_wats. I ended up using a different FAT32 converter and it worked.
    Maybe had something to do with the card being too large. Here is the converter I used for any other traveler.

https://www.verbatim.com/index/search.php?words=fat32+tool

We're all set now :smile:

I was having the same problem and this verbatim FAT32 formatting program worked. Thank you for sharing the link.

The_moisturizerThe_moisturizer BelgiëPosts: 1

Hi, I am new here so first question. I succeeded in formatting a cheap sd card by means of test. Now i want to format a lexar 32g via exfat format on mac but no dice. Keeps giving me the Fold message. Are there any tools for mac that do a clean format ?

p_watsp_wats TorontoPosts: 111

@The_moisturizer said:
    Hi, I am new here so first question. I succeeded in formatting a cheap sd card by means of test. Now i want to format a lexar 32g via exfat format on mac but no dice. Keeps giving me the Fold message. Are there any tools for mac that do a clean format ?

You mean the Deluge says "FOLD" when you try this new card? That usually means the folder structure on the card is wrong. Do the folders in the root of your card match what they should be (KITS, SAMPLES, SONGS, SYNTHS)?

Just got the SanDisk 64GB Ultra SDXC UHS-I. Running macOS Sonoma 14.0 on M1 Mac mini. Formatted to Fat32 using Disk Utility. Did get an error when trying to format. Once I mounted, formatted again, no errors. Copied files from 32 gb card, plugged in 64 gb and working great.