Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Deluge purely as drummachine/sequencer

tomtakestoothtomtakestooth UKBeta Tester Posts: 10

Hi folks

After attempts to create a 8 channel 16 step sequencer for drums in software using 2 novation launchpads I've kinda given up and thought I'd look for a hardware alternative. The deluge seems to be the answer, but I'm struggling to find out if it will do what I need.

Hope it's ok to throw a bunch of questions out there, in hope someone can tell me if it'll do these things. I'm purely wanting to use the Deluge as a sequencer for drum samples.

1. Can I easily switch between patterns on the fly? To put it simply, swap between one pattern for a verse, another for a chorus? Or does this involve a bit of menu diving? Or could it potentially be controlled via an external midi controller? I can see there's song saving - but does it do "presets/snapshots" within songs?

2. Within a sequence of say 8 drums, is it possible to have different step lengths for each drum? Say, Kick drum is an 8 step sequence, but the snare is a 7 step sequence?

3. Would I be able to use an external MIDI controller to control things like pitch, decay, fx send, volume for each drum in a track? If so, can these be hard assigned, so no matter which song, sequence or kit I was using they would remained mapped the same way? Can the parameter sequencing be done from external MIDI?

4. Can I pan individual drums left and right? So kicks go out of the left channel, and all other sounds out of the right?

5. Can I solo individual drums in a track, or is there only a mute function?

-Tom

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

1.- 5. yes you can.
    limitations:
    2: tracks can have different lenghts. but you cant have different lenghts in the same track. so you have to create seperate tracks for snare 7 steps and kick 8 steps.
    3: learns are per song. if you want em hard assigned you have to create a song template and reuse it for all your songs.

tomtakestoothtomtakestooth UKBeta Tester Posts: 10

Great!

With point1, what's the process of changing patterns?

MafooMafoo Posts: 53

@tomtakestooth said:
    Great!

With point1, what's the process of changing patterns?

I'd recommend checking out Youtube videos to see it in action. In a nutshell, each "kit" can have several different patterns that appear as different rows in song mode. You click the corresponding launch button to change to a different pattern.

VJFranzKVJFranzK Los Angeles USABeta Tester Posts: 129

All yes,
    3 yes,use MIDI learn mode as above.
    ( or just use the Pitch knob on Deluge, it's meant to be a Sequencer as much as anything else. )

but 5, maybe?

See my YT video on Drum Synthesis, btw! If you want to use more than samples.

Music, Visuals, Reviews of Synths, Drum Machines, Apps
    YouTube: VJFranzK