Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Midi Time Code (MTC) support

Not the sexiest feature request, but it would make syncing the song or arrangement modes to tape a possibility.

A surprising number of electronic musicians use tape as part of their workflow. Myself, for one :)

Comments

nosepeoplenosepeople United StatesPosts: 49
    edited August 2018

Just wanted to add, that if MTC is not practical for some technical reason, SPP (song position pointer) support would be equally helpful for devices that support it, although not many do any more. SMPTE (and MTC- MTC is the midi version of SMPTE) is pretty universal.

Post edited by nosepeople on
    MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

I’d be keen on SMPTE. Weirdly you need to use it on some digital recorders that don’t support midi i.e. the Zoom R8/16 & 24

nosepeoplenosepeople United StatesPosts: 49
    edited August 2018

SMPTE requires an audio out, and there's only the stereo pair. But if you're willing to work in glorious mono, you could start a long SMPTE sample playing on one channel and sync other stuff to it (in theory at least, I haven't tried it on a Deluge). Other way around - syncing the Deluge to an external SMPTE source - wouldn't work of course. (Unless the sampling input was used somehow, but that's really too much to ask for I think).

With MTC support, an external SMPTE to MTC convertor could be used to make the Deluge a master or a slave to SMPTE. They are inexpensive on the used market. I picked up a JL Cooper PPS-2 for i think $40, and use that for tape sync. Using something like a Zoom R16 or the newer Tascam units that don't have MTC sync, you'd have to be able to slave the Deluge anyway. And slaving a tape deck can be a nightmare, even if it's technically possible on a particular deck. Safer to make the tape the master.

Post edited by nosepeople on
    MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

Good to know. I shall do some more research then.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

Just stumbled upon this, Deluge does support this, dont know for how long. using push <> + Play command in Arranger other sequencers follow along. havent looked up the exact protocol, can do.

ClydePaquinClydePaquin Montreal, QuebecPosts: 27

@amiga909 said:
    Just stumbled upon this, Deluge does support this, dont know for how long. using push <> + Play command in Arranger other sequencers follow along. havent looked up the exact protocol, can do.

I tried to sync Logic as a slave... and Deluge as the master, but it doesn't work because Deluge doesn't send MTC... check it with MIDI monitor also... Deluge only sends MIDI Clock signal... unless you're a spy and knows something I don't?!

alexanderraealexanderrae DenmarkPosts: 2

+1 for letting the Deluge slave to incoming MTC! Don't know it is feasible to do outside of arranger mode, but it would be rad to be able to properly sync to my multitracke recorder either way