Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

deluge fm engine?

hi all, thanks for your help so far.

how many of you use the deluge's fm engine regularly? how does it compare to dedicated fm hardware? also what are the pros and cons of the deluge's fm engine?
if anyone has any demos of the fm engine in action Ide love to listen to them :)

your help with these questions would be most welcome kind regards trey.

I'm trey from the uk I'm totally blind with cerebral palsy, I make music with hardware and reaper on Mac os10.

Comments

Andy77Andy77 SingaporeBeta Tester Posts: 12

I have several FM synths. The one on deluge ( can't view) is most basic with 2 ops and carriers, i don't see how you can stack or configure them in different setups OR if any predefined sets ups (algorithms) even exist. The information in the manual is sparse. Unless there are future plans to develop this to the next level i wouldn't even include this as a salient feature. Yes it exists and the way its implemented, one can put it to use with much trial ,error and pain. The Elektron digitone has one of the best FM implementations that you can actually program/sound design with ease.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

Agreed, it is a very basic implementation. Sound wise I prefer FM to Subtractive mode. I get punchier basses from FM mode. The "cool" sounding patches are often FM (opinion!). Not fun to program but the FM sound itself is rather comparable to what you get from hardware synths than the analog emulation sound.
    Haven't tried Digitone, looks nice. Maybe the first FM synth I enjoy to program. Done some patches with Yamaha FSR-1, very rewarding sounds but never really got to enjoy programming FM.

For me every non-sample based synthesis feature is not a salient feature. Deluge should not get lost in trying to be a synthesis workhorse. Having said that, it is a huge fun factor do have VA and FM on the go. In my case, some Deluge sounds stay in the final mix. Rather FX sounds. Others, like a punchy bass, have to get replaced by samples or hardware synths.

Better focus on synthesis that relies on samples and focus on audio effects. Because there are way less hardware samplers on the market than hardware synths.
    VA, FM, RM is very nice to have. But it should not aim to be more than a basic implementation for doing stuff on the go.

darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware placeBeta Tester Posts: 222

Yes it is quite basic, it would be great if samples and line in could be incorporated into the FM (AFAIK the only other synth that could do it was the V-synth XT) However I quite like the FM in Deluge for simple 2-Op sounds which it copes with pretty well. Like @amiga909 I’d prefer the emphasis of Deluge to focus more on sample synthesis going forward, as I think there is a lot of potential there.

@darenager yeah the v-synth was a beast, sample synthesis at its best.
    it would be simply amazing if Deluge could mangle samples like that.

sorry, went off topic :)

dont know what FM with samples really means technically, V-synth was known for that, just know that.
    dont know if possible. it surely would the fit the Deluge GUI well.

ringmod mode with samples and input shouldnt be a problem. deserves a feature request.

darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware placeBeta Tester Posts: 222

Basically instead of a sine modulating a sine as in typical FM the Vsynth would allow the line in or a sample to either be the carrier or modulator (IIRC) It worked very nice on drum loops and vocals, giving a result ranging from almost vocoder/ring mod/frequency shifting sounding. Sadly I sold my XT about 8 years ago, so I can’t make a demo but for anyone into unusual sounds FM with samples won’t disappoint ;)

soundwarrior20soundwarrior20 Wales Uk Posts: 27

thanks gang :) I like the fm sounds I've heard from the deluge so far :)

I'm trey from the uk I'm totally blind with cerebral palsy, I make music with hardware and reaper on Mac os10.

@soundwarrior20 just read your profile text, just wondering, hope u dont mind :) You are blind? How can a blind person use the Deluge? I work for a website that is obligated to support impaired people, had some big surprises what some blind people are able to do. Stuff like have the screenreader-reader speed at x5.

AbortRetryFailAbortRetryFail FloridaBeta Tester Posts: 61

Love it.
    I've got a DX7 on loan, a TX81Z, a Reface DX, and the Deluge and all 3 of them have their own character.

The Deluge's FM engine reminds me a lot of the old Adlib/OPL3 sound of 90s PC sound cards and arcade machines with modern digital clarity.

Don't write off it's capability as limited just because of its lack of operators and complex algorithms. Feedback on all 4 operators and the ability to route mod sources to it gives the Deluge a lot of power that the classics just don't have.

DVBDVB USAPosts: 48

@amiga909 said:
    dont know what FM with samples really means technically, V-synth was known for that, just know that.
    dont know if possible. it surely would the fit the Deluge GUI well.

ringmod mode with samples and input shouldnt be a problem. deserves a feature request.

Yamaha's flagship FM synths since the late 90s or so have incorporated samples into their FX engine ... I think from the SY77 up to & including their current flagship Montage. Apparently, you can use waveforms from the rompler (AWM) side in the FM stuff.

I only know this because after I've become quite interested in FM synthesis after messing with the Deluge's FM engine. Managed at least 1 really awesome patch that I love without having a clue what I was doing!

I don't know if "mastering" sample synthesis is what suits the Deluge best. There's a reason why companies have strayed from hardware samplers & can the Deluge really knock the Octatrak off its perch? I've owned both at the same time & the Deluge won the gear cage match but not because of the sampler. At best, it may only ever be playing catch-up & can't see how things like the cool Octa x-fader get implement on the Deluge's interface without things getting any more clunky than they already are or my head exploding from having to remember all these key combos with more being added every few months!