Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

This is an amazing machine guys - well done!

Wow. All I can say after getting mine today and going through a grueling 6 more hours of work before I could unbox it is that this thing is amazing after just an hour playing with it. The immediate feedback of the lighted pads and ability to easily scroll is unbelievably cool. I use a lot of different sequencers too. I think this will rapidly become a favorite.

The size of this thing is perfect and everything feels really well built. Haven’t even had to crack the manual yet, but definitely will study all I can to get the most out of it.

I actually like sequencing on my Spectralis 2 and for some people that is a confusing sequencer (oh but the potential of the thing is astounding) and this is very easy comparatively. Crazy ordering it Sunday and getting it in California, USA on a Wednesday morning. That’s quick. This gear is intuitive.

I’ve no doubt that I will be getting a lot out of it. I found both my Spectralis 2 and my mv8800 to be fairly easy to get into and there are some descriptions on forums of those two that would steer plenty of folks away from those machines. This is miles easier to start making tracks on.

Well done Synthstrom Audible.

I’ll update this after awhile. Time to have some real fun playing it.

Comments

dest4bdest4b Frankfurt, GermanyPosts: 98
    edited May 2018

nearly every user is feeling like you :) you are not alone.

i also own a spectralis .. one of the first since the release of it.

but deluge is blowing my mind :) i think the new songmode wont make it better .. f**k i want this update. hrhr

Post edited by dest4b on

www.soundcloud.com/dest4b

VondragonnogginVondragonnoggin California, USAPosts: 199

Oh yeah. More hours playing with it. Great sampler. This is just the easiest machine to get creative on. I cracked the manual. I watched some tutorial videos too. Great amount of info at quick reach when needed.

Superb fun.

Watched more tutorial videos and read more of the manual. Starting to learn my way around the excellent shortcuts. Got my TR-08 and Nord Rack 2X hooked up playing around with stuff. All weekend playing with this. Incredible machine. So glad I waited instead of trying out something else. This one is really doing it for me. Outstanding.

Worked on a new drum n bass song all weekend with my Spectralis 2 and Deluge. It was fantastic to just get ideas out and fine tune tracks, pick samples, add fx, play out synth parts. Been awhile since firing up the Specki, but it came back to me. Deluge was just easy and giving me what I needed quickly.

Tomorrow will be two weeks with this thing. Still can’t believe I found a machine that delivers like this one for this price. I was so close to hitting buy on a Squarp Pyramid and not feeling what the new MPC’s are dealing with in bugs or undelivered features promised.

I think the Pyramid would have fit my needs on a sequencer, but lacking a synth and sampler, it just couldn’t compete in the price range next to the Deluge.

Anyway, I needed to update in this thread because it seems a lot of other areas filled with suggestions or questions or critique.

This my own personal praise thread as it’s turning out. What a musical piece of gear.

I think contrast is helping me here too. My iPad apps are great and fast but not tactile like the Deluge. My old MV8800 is deep and has a million ways to accomplish what you need, but is limited by pc133 bus speeds and no disk streaming. My Spectralis is amazing but has a lot of options in nested pages and is a multisample or sample playback machine rather than a modern sampler. Limited by memory size and buggy SD card slot. Great synths, filters, step sequencers, and deep ability, but not the clever interface conducive to speed.

Just discovered tonight about midi tracks and programming CC info for every button on the quick access buttons tied to the two gold controllers. Really great. Had a new TB-03 arrive today and quickly was able to setup a midi track and switch between CC’s 74,71,75,73,12,102, and 17 mapped to buttons the gold pots control. For the TB-03 that’s Cutoff, Resonance, Decay, Env Mod, Slide, and Overdrive Amount. Quickly setup my sequence notes in a couple bars and now have live manipulation of all those parameters and could record if I wanted to (like the live action though). That Slide action of a tb-303 is not limited to using strictly the tb-03 sequencer. It comes out great programmed on the Deluge with correct CC maps. Unmistakably the 303 sound and behavior but all using Deluge to program the track. Much easier and much easier to edit. Fun stuff.

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

@vondragonnoggin i feel ya. Had the deluge since jan, and im still happily peeling at the top layer of its potential.
    Its a keeper as it is, but with the firmware getting updated and the community here so involved and the devs bustin ass, its awesome to have a ticket to ride. 😎
    Cool to know how the tb-03 gets along with it, ive considered hooking one up.

So far everything plays good with it. I picked up a midi event filter and going to set it up inline before a 5 way thru box to filter out start/stop messages and use it with my three Mother 32’s and another Boutique. I like the built in sequencers on the Moog’s fine, but no setting to ignore start messages by midi. The compact Mother 32’s in their three tier Rack will get way more use from me hooked to the Deluge sequencer and combined with a boutique will still have a relatively small footprint. B)

It will be awhile exploring the Deluge still to get everything out of it possible. Particularly with 2.0 around the corner. Exciting times for me. The fast workflow has me excited about taking a sequencer to jam with friends without having to pre-setup a lot of sequences. Its fast enough working on it to get a bunch of new ideas honed during a session.

I love this sampler. Stretching is great with link. Everything about this machine is pretty awesome.

Those 2.0 features will be great too of course, but the machine is so fast already to create on and jam on.

Using it every day like crazy when not working.

dest4bdest4b Frankfurt, GermanyPosts: 98

hrhr :)

www.soundcloud.com/dest4b

I got a great deal on a demo Electribe 2. Nice companion to the Deluge. They seem to play well together so far as I’ve tested. Circuit is a good companion too, but I like the Electribe’s ability to sequence external gear on 16 midi channels. I can split up sequencing duty between the Deluge and Electribe. I opted for regular Blue Electribe 2 not the Electribe 2 Sampler. Deluge is a great sampler already, but I like the Electribe’s Oscillator choices better and filter choices. They basically cover each other for missing features I wanted plus additional midi out ability. Both about the same size too. Electribe a little wider.

First Electribe I’ve owned other than iOS Electribe. It was $230 for the demo unit and is mint condition. A good score. Very different workflows but each is pretty easy to understand. I blame the interest in the Electribe on Grooverider 16 iOS app which is basically a souped up Electribe 2 synth and sampler combined. Not too far off from the hardware Electribe 2’s. Jim Audio makes GrooveRider 16 and the excellent Poisone 202 iOS synth.

edited July 2018

I posted awhile back about the cool pairing options with the e2 and deluge. Its true. Ive since though, set the e2 free. Like you say, the 16 independent midi sequencing tracks are nice, as long as you can change your slaved kit's midi channel, since the e2 is locked.
    And the step jump feature is great. I cant think of anything that can retrigger 16 independent points along the bar, in any order, on the fly, anywhere you hold down. (feature request winkwink)
    But i couldnt get over that high pitch audio noise issue. Its there constatnly on the sampler and the synth in the 10k range. Guessing its from the display not sheilded near the outputs, though I dont know for sure. That and the lack of any sign of a customer support or future development.
    But yeah, as a decent little compact 16 channel midi seqncr with pattern save ect its not to scoff at, especially at its price.

Post edited by minigoat on

Interesting. I don’t get any high pitched noise, but then I run a noise gate on all input channels on my mixer. Mixer is Behringer X-Air 12 channel. Certain other synths and even the Deluge can at times exhibit line noise probably from some electrical interference in my house wiring without running hum eliminators, but the gate does pretty good on the mixer and it’s undetectable during playback or sound auditioning of any type yet for my old ears.

Running it straight into my iLoud Bluetooth speaker, I didn’t hear any noise either. I have only used the headphone out though with either straight 1/8” to 1/8” stereo cable or 1/8” to 1/4” left and right outputs. I’ll have to try the 1/4” only to see if I get the high pitched noise issue.

edited July 2018

Maybe theyve adressed the problem on newer units!? Its a known issue beyond line hum. If you look at an eq graph, you could see a significant consistent spike around 10k. Both sampler and synth versions i had did it. Was real bad with the sampler cause it would be present on every line-in sample you made and you could even detect it shifting tone whenever you pitch shifted a sample.

Did some reading on the issue and see that for the Electribe 2 Synth the problem presents when enabling audio line in or in power saver mode or if volume set extremely high. I won’t ever encounter it by the descriptions of use. I never turn volumes up past 3/4, don’t plan (and never did plan) on using line in, and have mine connected via power adapter, but generally don’t play out at places with no power or where I’d have to go in power saver mode for batteries.

The Sampler version had the issue on line in for sampling also. I can see how this would be an issue for those wanting to sample a lot of material. Not an option for regular Electribe 2, so not a big deal for me. I specifically bought the synth version for the oscillator options, filter options, and extra sequencing power, plus they’re pretty fun little workstations even if limited polyphony and number of bars per patterns (pattern chaining isn’t too bad on these and is the workaround for 4 bar limitations). If you really like the format and want the options of both plus presets you can save for your sounds in a separate area besides the patterns themselves, Groove Rider GR16 iPad app is definitely the closest thing to having both the synth and sampler versions with a lot more options.

Right, line in was extra loud.
    Thanks for the heads up about Groove Rider. Ive managed to stay out of the Apple Universe for this long and probably will keep it that way. Computers make me twitchy generally with all the hoops the tech wizards invent. That's what sent me into dedicated boxes such as the lovely Deluge in the first place, of which I may add, seems to have thankfully, nearly cured me of my GAS! I do keep Ableton Live open though, since they've been a solid, innovative and consistent company as far as that goes.

edited July 2018

I hear ya. I closed the Computer and just use hardware with exception of softsynths and apps on iOS. Working on computers all day long kinda soured me to sitting at one for music after work. I had about ten years of Ableton solid but between Beatmaker 2 and Beatmaker 3 on iOS plus a few other apps, got about 8 years of iOS music making fun on the experience list. Went hardware centerpiece back in 2014 and no more pc and Ableton.

iOS is my last ties to softsynths and software sequencers. The price seemed right for apps and synths on iOS over PC and my original iPad 2 was still able to use my usb controllers of which I have a few. I started my venture off guitar only into doing my own thing back in 97 with two grooveboxes- a Roland MC-303, Roland SP-202 and very soon after the SP-202, a Yamaha SU700 sampler. Computers came in 2000, then went 14 years later. Someday probably again, but not for a little while longer it seems.

The Deluge began my experimentation in small footprint portable centerpieces as my mv8800 isn’t so portable even though a solid centerpiece

Post edited by Vondragonnoggin on

Also iOS guitar apps like Bias Amp and Bias FX, Ampkit, and JamUp Pro

Bias in particular. Guitars have been sitting a little while, but when I pick them up, I really enjoy recreating guitar amp sounds of classic rock songs. Bias is extremely fun for doing that and convenient with an Apogee Jam interface or even the class compliant pc interface I used when using a PC years ago (forgot the brand but it’s the 2i2 model

edited July 2018

Well, i wont lie, ive had a look at used ipads on ebay in the last month, ha. With your background and that your off it all except some of the ios apps kinnda makes me consider messing with the platform. Hows the interfacing aspect of an ipad hooked up with the deluge? Ive heard talk of camera kits being required. Much else? Can an old ipad work or are they all obsolete the moment theyre ready to sell you a new one?

It’s worth it to get an Air 2 or better as some of the best sounding apps are 64 bit now and take advantage of the extra horsepower and memory of the newer architecture. I did run an iPad 2 for nearly 7 years straight, then got an Air 2 to replace it, then my work got me an iPad Pro 10.5”

All the apps I use on the Pro will run fine on the Air 2 though. I should get another 4 years easy on Air 2 or back up on iTunes after getting it set right and then just run the same version apps indefinitely. My Air 2 is 128gb and Pro is 256gb though and I use a lot of space for sample libraries and music. The original iPad 2 I ran so long was 64gb which worked for a long time. They now have 512gb iPad Pro’s though. My Air 2 will last as is and I got a decent deal for $500 about nearly two years ago. I bought used from reputable dealer on eBay.

Interfacing - I use a single iConnect Midi lightning to midi adapter. No camera kit. Also have a Griffin Dock with midi I/o that uses lightning connector. Camera kit is good for class compliant peripherals - audio/midi interfaces, controllers like 16 pad or keyboard, etc

I find them working best when using camera kit to usb powered hub, then plug a few things in. Even my class compliant M-Audio Venom synth is a good I/o for it. It’s a synth and usb interface all in one. As long as it’s class compliant, it will work on apps.

I also use it either synced with apps or Deluge can control softsynths, or use an app that’s multitimbral like BeatMaker 3 and control external synths sequenced by BeatMaker 3 or BeatMaker 2 and midi clock synced to Deluge. BeatMaker 3 and several other apps can run iOS synths that are IAA compatible or have AU versions (like vst’s) that run within the app. iOS is compartmentalized a great deal compared to PC, but they have low latency audio built in, class compliant compatibility and low latency midi. Apple does Audio great on mobile platform. It’s pretty flexible. I still prefer hardware but iOS is still somewhat tactile by using touch screen and the amount of quality apps are pretty amazing and decent prices for software that usually put the pc or Mac versions to shame in how low priced per features they are.

It’s a fun portable device too and battery life is long. Like the Deluge, an iPad and a few apps can do a Standalone thing good or integrate well with hardware and other sequencers.

One downside is no trial software. I usually go by ratings and check out videos on YouTube for how it actually works. Too many good apps to list, but you have a wealth of different types to pick. Plugin fx, drum apps, glitch drum apps, synths, sequencers, samplers, amp sims, etc. a lot of junk too but a decent representation of all kinds that are real quality too. Some big developers and some independent. Much like the pc/Mac offerings. Some actual duplicates too. Moog, Korg, Steinberg, and a lot of the better known vst makers have offerings on iOS. Check out reviews thoroughly though on more expensive apps. I’ve shied away from some big names that refuse to offer actual versions you can go nuts on creating songs because they want to give you a minimal version to get you to buy their full featured pc version like FL Studio mobile, iMaschine by Native Instruments, and a few others, but some quick research will get you the most notorious ones. Plenty of full featured apps you can go from start to full production finish and master on though. You’ll find them easy enough.

My recommendation - Start slow of course if you get one. Take one good app that you can write complete songs on like Intua’s BeatMaker 2 or 3, and buy a couple low cost good synths and really get to know them before going nuts on app purchases. It can be a bad virtual GAS platform too. I started with a Nano Studio and rapidly went to BeatMaker 2 and dropped NanoStudio after awhile (no updates after awhile on it too), then used it a few years until BeatMaker 3 came out. If carefully researched, a couple outstanding synths and one good full featured music making app can keep software costs down, but the downside of low cost apps is you will find yourself easily talking yourself into buying it if only $5 or $10. Keep an eye out for sales or first launch sales. Sometimes you can get a good one for free. The platform can easily nickel and dime you to big spendings overall if not careful.

That’s about all. Good luck if you get one. They are pretty easy to navigate and setup and fun to get great sounds easily out of.

edited July 2018

Wow! Thanks for the thorough overview and the nitty gritty @Vondragonnoggin. The nickel and diming part regarding the gas got my attention. I can see that. The endless buffet of the next great new sound you gata try that will def next level your performance and for only 2 dollars! Ha i think im going to stick with just Deluge and Live. So much to hone in on and develop still. Trying to be a "master of one" now rather than learn more and more interfaces. Thanks again!