Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

What do you think about Deluge Effects?

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

Deluge FX ordered by usefulness and taste

Mod (Flanger, Chorus, Phaser)
Delay (Analog, Digital)
Filter (LP-12db, LP-24db, LP-Drive, HP)
Distortion
Unison
Reverb
Sidechain Compressor
EQ
Bitcrusher
Stutter
Decimator

For me the Mod FX stand out, very well done, I love using the Flanger FX to drill the sound.
More dynamics fx (compressor, ..), more EQ and Distortion types, and a better control for Stutter and Delay would be awesome.

Comments

cypher79cypher79 UKPosts: 157

The Deluge's FX certainly have potential, but currently they feel a bit rough round the edges and could use some refinement...for instance the Saturation sounds more like Distortion, and only 2 bands on the EQ is pretty weak imo, we really need more bands.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@cypher79 The new drive filter effectively functions as a smoother saturation, affect an entire kit/ song with it and adjust the volumes going into it to taste :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

cypher79cypher79 UKPosts: 157

@Icoustik said:
    @cypher79 The new drive filter effectively functions as a smoother saturation, affect an entire kit/ song with it and adjust the volumes going into it to taste :)

That's good to know, as I'm waiting on the full 2.0 update (don't do betas) so I haven't tried the new drive filter yet, can it be used on individual kit sounds?

yes, drive is available for individual. you can have 3 LP-drive at once (song, track, individual)
    it sounds nice, kinda tamer creamy LP, resonance self oscillation is less aggressive. 12db, 24db are a bit louder in general.

krunchrkrunchr Mainz, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 70
    1. I usually like macros. But for the Delay, I would like to have an dedicated parameter for feedback.
    2. Reverb could be little bit smoother. Beside this, the longest reverb time is a little bit to short for the usual bedroom-produced ambient tracks :)
    pfrfpfrf ca, u.s.a.Posts: 165

I've only recently gotten a Deluge, but what I've noticed so far-

The modulation fx are mono, is that correct? I much prefer stereo modulation fx, but probably I have overlooked a parameter setting.

I like the distortion fx well enough. There is a huge volume jump for decimation and bitcrush at the 19 and 25 values.

The delay is a big letdown for me. Hopefully I am makng a beginner's mistake, but I see no way to select dotted or triplet times, the parameter adjustment isn't fine enough to dial in dotted values by hand, and the delay doesn't sync to swing. There is no separate adjustment for mix and feedback. I don't like the delay.

The reverb is fair, dense enough for percussion, a little metallic, but I don't dislike it.

I am truly enjoying the Deluge, for me the only disappointment is the fx section, especially the delay.

MoonWolfMoonWolf United KingdomPosts: 50

I just wish we had more sync options on the delay.

@MoonWolf said:
    I just wish we had more sync options on the delay.

yeah

darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware placeBeta Tester Posts: 222

I think the fx are just ok, the delay needs input filters, feedback amount (to infinite) and more delay time divisions, the reverb needs input filters, the mod fx are quite nice but could do with negative feedback and a few more options. The saturation seems to have been improved since the last update.

I think they just about get the job done, but even compared to an electribe they could do with some refinement, the internal sounds would benefit greatly.

o0_o0_ SANTA MONICAPosts: 107

Delay

IMHO the delay is what needs the most work. Dotted note delays are such an iconic tempo, it's weird to not have that as an option. The lack of a delay send that's different from the delay feedback means it's impossible to add delay to only certain notes on a phrase, which also a super useful technique. Lastly input filter or at least a simple bright/dull setting like on a cheap guitar delay pedal.

Saturation

Why only 15 levels? in general one of my issues with the Deluge is the fact that all parameters have such a short range ( 0-50 seems the default ) when people already complain that 127 values for Midi-controlled parameters is too coarse. 15 saturation level makes every steps definitely noticeable. Also I feel that saturation should not boost the volume as mush as it does. also making the upper range unuseable

Bitcrush/Decimation

I'm not sure I understand what the bitcrush parameter actually controls, low values create a high-frequencty hiss while the body of the sound is unchanged, same thing goes with Decimation, although the effects useable on a wider range of values. Again, the effect is super steppy.

Stutter

Not having values when editing any of the 8 FX shortcuts makes the stutter barely useable.
    There should be a way to change the stutter speed without changing the pitch. Also having a dry/wet control over the stutter would be really useful, as well as having a stutter tail, so exiting the effect isn't so abrupt.

Flanger/Chorus/Phaser

The Modulation FX should have independent rate/feedback/offset values. What works for a flanger sounds horrible for a chorus. There should also be a dry/wet mix, because it's really hard to make distinct but subtle effects

robleighton22robleighton22 MelbournePosts: 27

I sort of wish bitcrush or saturation were replaced or swapable for a compressor. Compression would really be beneficial. Although if we can easily produce stems for individual tracks then I guess I can live without any major effects as my daw would complete cover the rest.

Andy77Andy77 SingaporeBeta Tester Posts: 12

Agree, the FX section needs a complete overhaul. Its OK for now for a machine that offers so much, but this is one area that i would really like to see a more structured layout firstly ( the filters, distortion, mod efx are all scattered all over the matrix), better quality of FX and better tweak-ability.

darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware placeBeta Tester Posts: 222

@o0- +1 to every point!

chorus7chorus7 CanadaPosts: 4

My big issue is with the bit crusher saturation... I wish it was pre filter... or had the possibility of routing it pre filter... I find the volume jump and noise introduces a little too extreme... would be nice to filter out some of the highs...

Well, since you asked, lol imo (and yes just my opinion)

Fx need serious work.. and its the reason why i simply don't bother with the synth of the Deluge anymore.

Delay is largely useless to me.. its my most use fx and it sounds amateurish. it needs a separate feedback control, stereo width, and tone control.. it also needs delay time to go up as you rotate the knob clockwise (like every other delay in existence).

Reverb is ditto.. unnatural, harsh, metallic and totally lacks subtlety

I dont use much else, chorus and vib a little... but why on earth a default amount is 25 (rather than zero) just makes zero sense as you perpetually have to work hard to get anything that is not smack in your face obnoxious in terms of sound.

I appreciate that others may feel different

olicolic Posts: 15

agree. fx (and also adsr) need more work. besides this - why not using values from 0-127? currently it’s always 0-50. the resolution could be much finer.

six_waxsix_wax Posts: 38

Better control for the delay (separate "Amount" & "Feedback" control) would be very welcome.

I must say, I actually quite like the sound of the reverb though!

muleskinnermuleskinner Bath, UKModerator Posts: 128

I see PSP have broken down their superb DSP code into 'module' sized chunks. And they're happy to move out of the usual VST/AU space. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have effects of this quality in the Deluge?

http://www.pspaudioware.com/voltage/

Trying to develop industry standard DSP whilst also creating a killer synth and sequencer is more than a mere mortal can cope with IMO. People have spent decades on this stuff - why not use what's already out there?

;)

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

VJFranzKVJFranzK Los Angeles USABeta Tester Posts: 129

The FX are good so far, and sound "clean" - but it'd be good to have more FX types and edit parameters!
    Also, some more distortion and other "noisy" options.

When using the audio in, it sometimes can't be loud enough? Maybe a "clean boost" might help.
    Intentionally boost too much, and enjoy digital clipping if you like. ; - )

The glitch looper is cool as is, but I'd wish for a lot more parameters on it! ( Including temp sync )
    Note those which appear on Kaoss pad, or Aira "scatter" effects...

Music, Visuals, Reviews of Synths, Drum Machines, Apps
    YouTube: VJFranzK

MafooMafoo Posts: 53

It would be nice to have gain control in addition to the master level on each track.

@muleskinner said:
    Trying to develop industry standard DSP whilst also creating a killer synth and sequencer is more than a mere mortal can cope with IMO. People have spent decades on this stuff - why not use what's already out there?

;)

Good idea, havent seen fx plugin devs collab with hardware producers yet. not a huge fan of PSP, very good quality but a bit too tame for my taste. would not fit the Deluge character well imho. if it was about quantity you can go to musicdsp.com and have tons of fx in no time.
    i agree about the mere mortal thing. rather think there should be a good code architecture that allows to easily add new effects. and maybe hiring another dev that complements well with Rohans interests and strengths, whatever that might exclude :)

muleskinnermuleskinner Bath, UKModerator Posts: 128

@amiga909 said:
    not a huge fan of PSP, very good quality but a bit too tame for my taste. would not fit the Deluge character well imho.

I dunno about that - you can go pretty extreme with N20 if you want, plus their delay and filter 'stomp' plug-ins. And the Mix Saturator!

I know what you mean though, most of their stuff is aimed more at the high-quality production level market rather than wacky fx. I tend to use SoundToys plugs for the more 'effect' type stuff, PSP for EQs and compressors. PSP and SoundToys are probably the two software devs I rate most highly.

There's another bunch called Unfiltered Audio that distribute via Plugin Alliance that have some really interesting FX.

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

@muleskinner
    Man I love Sound Toys.

andersschroderandersschroder copenhagenPosts: 8

Should be able to choose between different styles of reverbs. Spring, plate, nonlinear, hall etc. Feels very limited currently.

@andersschroder said:
    Should be able to choose between different styles of reverbs. Spring, plate, nonlinear, hall etc. Feels very limited currently.

yeah, reverb is the most requested after compressor http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/2240/100-top-rated-suggestions

StromerStromer GermanyPosts: 55

Reverb sounds cheap, delay sounds great but it would help a lot if the delaytime could be set in 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 ...
    The distortion has a very dirty character but does its job the other effects also do a good job. Missing compression.

p_watsp_wats TorontoPosts: 111

@Stromer said:
    Reverb sounds cheap, delay sounds great but it would help a lot if the delaytime could be set in 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 ...
    The distortion has a very dirty character but does its job the other effects also do a good job. Missing compression.

The delay time can be set to 1/6, 1/8, 1/4, etc. for individual synth tracks or individual items in a kick, just not for entire songs or entire kits (you can do it by ear for those, but it's tricky).

rudolphrapidrudolphrapid Beta Tester Posts: 129
    edited September 2019

My biggest complaint is that there's no spread option for unison and chorus so they are just mono :)
    Delay should have more diverse time divisions, I agree, but the free rate can be useful as a workaround for it though the result may not be so perfect and takes more time to reach :)

Post edited by rudolphrapid on