Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

battery DOA?!

emptyvesselemptyvessel usaPosts: 30
edited October 2018 in General Discussion

So Ive had my deluge for maybe 2 weeks. used it on battery for the first time ever and as soon as it drained it wont take any charge. It just blinks yellow/green. I have tried 3 different chargers/cables, all of which are listed acceptable chargers.

Post edited by emptyvessel on

Comments

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

There could be a few possibilities here. Are you using the USB cable shipped with the device? There is an outside chance perhaps the battery got dislodged? We have instructions on how to replace on the "support content" forum. Peek inside and make sure the battery is installed properly.
    Have you been using it running off power enough time to charge it? The batteries are not shipped already charged.

YogiYogi GermanyPosts: 16

Please make sure that your charger is center negativ. I've got about a dozen here, from many different brands, they are all center positiv...

Please Rohan, could you please add a bridge rectifier in your next hardware release ? o:)

LjkLjk Austin Tx USAPosts: 98

The prongs on mine had to be slightly bent inwards after I dropped it. check the connecters maybe.

dest4bdest4b Frankfurt, GermanyPosts: 98

@Yogi said:

Please make sure that your charger is center negativ.

correct .. i had to search a bit longer for a charger in my charger box ;)
    But 99% i use USB to charge and on the weekend i worked about 8 hours without powercable.
    So i think charging vith USB would be OK . The 16850 needs max 4.7V for charging and USB delivers 5V.
    But i use only 1000mAh USB chargers and above for charging. So i can Play during charging :)

www.soundcloud.com/dest4b

@Yogi said:
    Please make sure that your charger is center negativ. I've got about a dozen here, from many different brands, they are all center positiv...

Please Rohan, could you please add a bridge rectifier in your next hardware release ? o:)

Yes, I am using proper, center negative chargers, otherwise the unit would not even power on. tried 500mA and 1A and a few usb blocks over 5v.... I'll open it up to see if perhaps its disconnected. It does look like I received a used unit, it has several dents/nicks in the wood side panel. so thats lovely. definitely not from shipping as it was wrapped very well...

Ok so the battery prongs were bent out and not connected. Works now!

YogiYogi GermanyPosts: 16

B)

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

@emptyvessel said:

It does look like I received a used unit, it has several dents/nicks in the wood side panel. so thats lovely. definitely not from shipping as it was wrapped very well...

We definitely don't ship used or refurbed units, however, the wood panels are all unique and some may have natural blemishes in them, so that is a likely possibility.

LouisWu13LouisWu13 Hamburg - GermanyPosts: 12

@Ian_Jorgensen said:
    There could be a few possibilities here. Are you using the USB cable shipped with the device? There is an outside chance perhaps the battery got dislodged? We have instructions on how to replace on the "support content" forum. Peek inside and make sure the battery is installed properly.
    Have you been using it running off power enough time to charge it? The batteries are not shipped already charged.

Hello Ian,

i have similiar problems with the batteries. When my Deluge arrived here (Germany), the device worked well with the battery. After connecting it via USB to my PC, the battery went dead. Even when I connected a power supply, the battery did not charged.

I then bought a new battery. The Deluge worked with this new battery, but after connecting the Deluge again via power cable and usb - after the first night - the battery went dead again.

I am a bit stucked now and as it seems like I am not the only one with this problem, I kindly ask you to check this issue again and probably provide a solution for it.

Kind regards from Hamburg, Uwe

I'm using the usb cable (the shipped one) on an active usb 3.0 hub and an extra power supply (12 V)...

rohanrohan Staff Posts: 590

Hey Louis, sounds like for some reason your battery isn't getting charged. Have you tried a couple of different USB power sources, like a computer's USB port as well?

When you plug in our power source, if your battery is flat, your battery indicator LED should go yellow to indicate charging. If it instead goes green within a few seconds, that probably indicates that insufficient current is available from the power supply to charge the battery. What colour is it going?

Thank you rohan; the battery indicator goes green, when I plug in the 12V power chord... when I plug in the USB cable, the light goes green as well...when I plug in the USB cable directly into the USB connector of my computer, than the light goes green as well... mhmm strange...

Has the LED ever gone yellow? (Just ruling out a problem with the LED itself.) Not quite sure what could be preventing it from charging, but I'm sure we'll work out a solution.

LunaNova7LunaNova7 Los AngelesPosts: 5

I am having the same problem as Louis, I've had mine for all of two days.

LunaNova7, have you tried a couple of different power supplies / USB ports?

Hi alien_brain, to quote the "Hardware connections" section of the manual:

USB
    The Deluge’s USB type B connector allows it to connect to your computer as a USB MIDI device, for use in any software that supports MIDI. The Deluge may also be powered by its USB connection - either from a computer, or from a phone charger with an appropriate cable. The Deluge may draw up to 500mA from its power source.

DC power socket (9 - 12V)
    The Deluge may be powered by any centre-negative 9 - 12V DC power supply which can provide at least 500mA. It can share a power supply (e.g. using a daisy-chain) with other units or pedals if the power supply can provide adequate current; the Deluge contains circuitry to minimise ground loop noise in such a setup, although some noise may still be introduced. DC and USB power may be connected simultaneously, in which case the Deluge will draw its power from the DC power supply rather than USB.

We've seen battery charging issues for a whole range of reasons - faulty power supply, computer USB port not happy to provide 500mA as it should, user incorrectly using a centre-positive power supply, even user accidentally having unplugged power from the wall.

The Deluge can run without a battery present. It should be able to run with a flat battery if plugged into a power source - but sometimes not if the power source isn't happy to provide 500mA.