Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Auto Mode for global keyboard for per-track focus

rpc9943rpc9943 New York usaBeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 184

I like how we can choose the learn function for external keyboards. It would be also good for an option where it would "auto" change to what ever track record/audition midi on to whatever track we are currently looking at.

Post edited by rpc9943 on

Comments

tangramtangram Oslo, NorwayBeta Tester Posts: 27

Yes, please! Having to "learn" to play notes is a weird default to me. The learn function is nice in itself, but I'd rather have it as an override, and auto focus as default.

Somewhat related, maybe there should be some indication of what track the note learn is assigned to? Maybe one of the rightmost buttons in song mode could flash indicating MIDI input?

HorstmaistaHorstmaista Los AngelesBeta Tester Posts: 56

Yes please please! For me it's even more the CC-Midi-controls as there are so many parameters that can be assigned. It would help so much, if I could assign my Midi-Controller's knobs to whatever track I'm working on at the moment, by that extend the interface and make all the controls easier approachable.
    Could be something like a setting for a global midi channel that would control whatever track is currently in use ('live' / 'in focus'). Lets say channel 16 always controls that live track, all other channel can still be used to be directly assigned to specific parameters & tracks. This could also be disabled... Global Midi Channel: 0 (=off) or 1-16.

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

Would this not be really hard to implement?
    I'm still new to midi but isn't every controller different?
    I know I'll have some issues as my only other synth after the Deluge (when it arrives) uses NRPN midi which is a pain in the arse.

That's the beauty of midi: every midi controller puts its data into the same format... channel, cc, etc. That way it doesn't really matter which unit is connected as the interface data is specified.

Okay cool. So what's up with NRPN then? I've got an Alesis Micron which seems to be very hard to find controllers for.

Had to look up NRPN, but it wouldn't really be needed, as the standard definition seems to be already working well for the Deluge (note, velocity, cc, etc).
    Sure if your synth reacts funnily to incoming midi data it's an issue (sounds as if that might be the case on the Micron). But for the Deluge it's already working super well, just that you have to assign each parameter manually as there is no global control setting.

tangramtangram Oslo, NorwayBeta Tester Posts: 27

NRPNs are used for greater resolution, using two CCs for 14 bits of range instead of 7 bits. The Deluge seems to put most parameters on a 0-50 range, but they are actually much higher resolution, I believe (32 bit). NRPNs would seem appropriate, but it's just so hard to find something to output them, like MatthewGeorge says.

OSC is another option, and would fit the Deluge's range, but again, very few controllers (so far).

Other than a few named ones, there's no real standard for what any given CC should control. If the Deluge were to have a standard mapping it would be one specific to the Deluge.

The Learn function saves you the trouble of programming your controller (and allows you to use, say, a synth with fixed CCs), and is very cool by itself, but you also need to save these mappings per track-preset, as I understand it. AND they are limited in number... I mapped 12 controllers + notes before getting the message "FULL".

So... the dream situation would be to be able to use the Learn function for every parameter (even select/toggle), save the mapping, and set it as a global standard. And have OSC support as well. Not that I'm demanding or anything...

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Global keyboard track focus, yes, very nice.

Great hijack. I learned something at least.
    But yes, global keyboard...