Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Connect a hw processor unit - setup

TOTALTOTAL Posts: 111
edited November 2022 in Deluge Help

So I am connecting a RMX500 'send' effect to Deluge (with some instant Shpongle;) and here's what I have established:
1. connect its out to D's line in
2. connect D's audio out to delay's ins
3. in Deluge, create an audio track while in song mode
4. set track input to balanced, with a dot meaning audition

I am hearing Deluge via headphones but not via its speaker when cans are disconnected. What to do about it? I feel very comfortable with the on-board speaker, so it would be good to keep this as an option when outboard hw is connected.

I am getting both the dry and wet sound, but volume is tricky to tame, with some Marshall-amp-like feedback sounds, musical but keeping me alert. how do you control the level of signal?

Ideally, only some of the synth and kit tracks would send to audio out, say, all less drums. Is it possible?

How to alternate between resampling just the processed signal coming back and resampling the whole thing?

Post edited by TOTAL on

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

The connections you’re describing are causing a feedback loop. To avoid this and separate the processed signal from the output, you’ll have to take advantage of the two inputs and outputs. Hard pan everything to one side and the signal you want to process to the other side. Then setup an audio clip to receive the processed signal and pan that along with everything else, not the dry signal.

The built in speaker only works if no headphones or outputs are connected.

Thanks for your reply. I think I got lost somewhere.

It would be good to get this step-by-step.

This will be based on an assumption that there is one instrumental and one drum track and only the former should go through the processor.

So the steps are:

• decrease volume on Deluge (feedback can be sudden and loud)
    • connect with a mono cable Deluges audio output right to Processor's audio in.
    • connect with a mono Processor's output right Deluge's Line In. The signal should be on right channel only
      in song mode,

• create a kit track, a synth track and an audio track (press and hold first empty row and press Select knob)

• select the input for just selected audio track (press and hold learn, press one of the grid buttons of the newly created audio track). In the menu, select right with the dot

Get into synth track

• pan the synth all the way to the right: press shift and Pan (third from right, fourth from top), turn Select knob right all the way until 50r

Get into kit track

• pan all the way to the left

With this setup unprocessed drums are in left channel and processed synth is in the right channel, with Wet level to be controlled within the Processor

Is this correct? I am still getting feedback sound so something may not be accurate.
    Also,

• the volume of wet signal is low, so I balance it by lowering synth velocity to 15 and raising Deluge master level.
    • panning the above method is not noticeable on headphones: both drums panned to the left and synth panned to the right sound in both channels.

Notes
    I chose right channel out because in case of left, both would be mixed into mono.

The return into Deluge might be in stereo in case the processor pingpongs or otherwise mixes into stereo, because the divide is no longer needed. In this case a stereo cable of some sort could go into Deluge's Line In.

Are these conclusions and reasoning correct?

If you’re sending out the R channel you’ll need to bring it back in on the L channel, especially if you have monitoring on.
    You can also avoid summing to mono on L channel as long as you have something plugged into the R output or if headphones are plugged into the headphone jack.

Oh biggest thing is that you need the audio channel with the effects panned hard L

edited November 2022

Okay, so it turns out that output being all Right, the mono cable needs to go into effect's Left in and leave with Left Out. Then the best setting for audio track is stereo with feedback. Still, it is stereo mixture of Left in and Right silence, if I am not mistaken.

Thanks for your help so far.

Is there a way to have a stereo processor audible in both left and right channel without resulting in feedback? This would require synth sound to only go out but not directly to master.

No settings without feedback worked, which seems justified by the fact that this is for auditioning when not recording.

@Too_Mere said:
    setup an audio clip to receive the processed signal and pan that along with everything else, not the dry signal.

The built in speaker only works if no headphones or outputs are connected.

Update
    Now I can see that I missed this part panning audio in in the wrong place - this needs being hard-left in the master section - not in the reverb section.

Okay, so we have drums in channel left, synths' Right channel in both left and right (because this processor works as an insert effect actually), and processed synths' sound in left channel.

Is this how good it gets?
    What is the simplest solution enabling 1) divide between processed and unprocessed and 2) having all in stereo, or at least 3) having processed sound in stereo? I mean for composing this is more than adequate because I use a single minirig with Deluge anyway.

I can think of two:
    1. a 4*4 mixer (1, 2 and 3)
    2. a send processor (2)

Post edited by TOTAL on

There is no way to have all in stereo while the insert is being used or a feedback loop will be created.
    You could however record the effect in stereo if you set up the audio track to be stereo but not monitored. You could then set up a separate audio track, not for recording but just monitoring in mono, would have to be hard panned left.
    Obviously this won’t help for life purposes. But it would enable you to record the effect in stereo for composition.

edited November 2022

Okay, thank you for your help. I have DAW thinking habits, I have realised. For uncompromised stereo, the device would need 2 pairs of stereo outs (and processor would need send funcitonality). Then it would be more complex, more expensive and less portable :smile:

Post edited by TOTAL on

Indeed it would be. No problem 👍🏼