Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

How to setup a Deluge powered USB lamp

With energy prices going up it may not be a bad idea to put energy saving measures to the limit. I found a way to do just that by using Deluge's USB-B socket at its back which functions as a 5 volts power socket provided the Deluge is powered by a center negative power adapter of 9 to 12 volts. Won't work when they Deluge is battery powered.

The extra necessities are a down angled USB-B plug/male to USB-B socket/female adapter combined with a USB-B plug/male to USB-A socket/female, the latter to fit in the USB lamp.

Pay attention to the fact that the USB-B socket at the back of the Deluge is actually upside down. That's important to know when you look for that angled USB-B adapter.

Watch the pictures as illustration of the hack. It's a bit wobbly but the idea worked out fine.

Watch the pictures as illustration.

Tagged:

Comments

hurphendalehurphendale PragueBeta Tester Posts: 39

Very cool, I'd been wanting to do something like that for a while. The adapter stack looks a little flimsy/susceptible to breaking though... maybe some reinforcement would be a good long term strategy. Gonna give this a shot myself at some point, so thanks for the tips.

Phoebus1966Phoebus1966 AntwerpPosts: 52

It could be a good idea to manufacture a single adapter that goes from a USB-B plug up side down to an upward USB-A socket, preferably recessed.

pogodancepogodance United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 57

I'd sooner use a clip on battery powered lamp to avoid straining the socket and keep cable free.

pogodancepogodance United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 57

Nice idea to have a gooseneck lamp tho. I really need my reading glasses for the tiny letters on the panel.