Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Understanding SELECT knob synth browser behaviour: why are folders sometimes not visible?

pogodancepogodance United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 57

If I create a new synth track, the SELECT knob will scroll through instruments in, I think, the most recently accessed synth directory? But while it shows all the contents, it doesn't show any folders in the directory? And then if I press LOAD+SYNTH the SELECT knob will now behave exactly the same way, except the folders in the directory _are _visible? Is that right? If so, is there a reason for this (slightly irritating) inconsistency?

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

After creating a new synth clip you are in clip view, where pressing the select knob always accesses the synth parameters for the current synth. Load + synth enters the synth browser, where pressing the select knob will enter folders and selects a preset for use in the clip.
    I think the different functions of the select knob are one factor.
    But yeah, that’s just how it works currently.

Thanks but I'm not talking about pressing the select knob. In clip view, the led display has instrument number, and rotating the select knob (no pressing) scrolls through instruments, but oddly it misses out the folders. When you do load+synth, the behaviour of the select knob is identical to that in clip view, except you can see the folders. Am I missing something?

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 603

the idea is that some people turn the select knob on clips to change instrument sounds, so if a folder shows up technically no sound would play since it's a folder. when you do want to enter a folder, load+synth implies u are looking for every and all patches so folders show up. i understand an argument could be made that if you scroll to a folder via turning select knob, it should just play the first patch in the folder, but that could also make people confused and think that folder name is actually a patch name and never enter it? that specific confusion dissipates with the OLED screen

edited September 2022

I don't think there's any less confusion, when browsing sounds in the context after clicking load+synth, about what's a folder and what's not? They just appear in the list? When landing on a folder name in clip mode the device could just leave the sound unchanged?

I ask really because load+synth to be able to enter folders when browsing is one more shortcut to memorize. I am fully into the Deluge muscle memory manifesto but with the caveat that it's still worth minimising the n of new memorised shortcuts people have to learn. Often when you come back to the device after some time away it's these niche shortcuts that block simple moves that risk dispiriting you off to another device. "That's weird I can't see my beautifully organised folders in the browser". You might not even remember that there's a memorised shortcut that enters you into a slightly different but almost identical sound browsing mode. You might just assume file system error.

Post edited by pogodance on
    edited September 2022

"That's weird I can't see my beautifully organised folders in the browser".

You always have to press load to get to any kind of browser.
    Load = Song browser
    Load + synth = synth browser
    Load + kit = kit browser

Fairly straightforward

Post edited by Too_Mere on

The select knob in clip mode functions as a browser, just with the folders missing. Anyway, hopefully I'll remember and hopefully not too many other people are confused, maybe I'm the only one.

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 603

you'll have to remember load+synth if you ever have a synth sound that's in a folder and then want to replace that sound with another preset that's not in that folder (ex: load+synth, hit BACK to leave folder, now search for next sound)

rogerroger Baltimore, MDPosts: 8

I personally dislike the default behavior of the select knob, nevermind the way folders are hidden, too many times I've accidentally bumped it in clip view and lost work. I think it'd be better to remove that feature and require going into the browser.

@roger said:
    I personally dislike the default behavior of the select knob, nevermind the way folders are hidden, too many times I've accidentally bumped it in clip view and lost work. I think it'd be better to remove that feature and require going into the browser.

Turning the select knob in clip view should not lose any work. Simply turn it back to the preset you were using and everything should be as it was before turning select

rogerroger Baltimore, MDPosts: 8

Turning the select knob in clip view should not lose any work. Simply turn it back to the preset you were using and everything should be as it was before turning select

That's not what's happened in my experience. At least not consistently. More recently I deleted/moved some rows of a kit within a clip and I definitely lost changes after turning the knob.