Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

New OLED display

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

All Deluges shipped from today will feature a new OLED display.
Purchase, as always, through our site: https://synthstrom.com/product/deluge/

If any existing Deluge owner wants to join us in this new world of multiple lines of text and more than four letters on a screen at once, we made it so you can!
http://synthstrom.com/OLED for details

To reflect the cost and development associated with the new screen and the rising manufacturing costs in the synth industry, we’ll be raising the price of the Deluge incrementally over the next 12 months.
http://synthstrom.com/OLED for more about this.

No additional features to show at this time.

Comments

illobyteillobyte Beta Tester Posts: 6

wow, looks incredible!

DiamondEyesDiamondEyes Maidenhead, UKPosts: 39

Great news! For existing users would it make life easier for shipping rules(?) if we remove battery before we send it for upgrade?

1heUndertaker1heUndertaker UKBeta Tester Posts: 24

Hi @Ian_Jorgensen and wow!

Great option for the screen *8D

Do we UK people pay for the deposit/ total direct for upgrading the Deluge in the UK ?
    Or do we just pay the UK local repair partner you mention?
    Cheers

illobyteillobyte Beta Tester Posts: 6

are there any hardware differences between the new deluge and a retrofitted old deluge (ignoring the pre-3.0 top panel)?

pogodancepogodance United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 57

Hey great, I'm in.

hide_mehide_me StockholmBeta Tester Posts: 3

I am shocked and scared by this news. Does this mean that the owners of the original Deluge will not be able to use future updates?

I don't want to ruin your plans or cause a dispute, I just want to say, this is one of those moments when you feel that your equipment is irrelevant, it kind of makes you feel abandoned.

LegsMechanicalLegsMechanical United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 49
    edited September 2022

@hide_me said:
    I am shocked and scared by this news. Does this mean that the owners of the original Deluge will not be able to use future updates?

I don't want to ruin your plans or cause a dispute, I just want to say, this is one of those moments when you feel that your equipment is irrelevant, it kind of makes you feel abandoned.

The statement in the site indicates that the screen isn’t necessary. Just an added value proposition due to rising costs. And it can be retrofit for a reasonable price. What’s not to like? This thing has already had a lifespan that puts other products to shame. Any other company would have already put out multiple incompatible hardware revisions years ago.

Post edited by LegsMechanical on
    icymulberryicymulberry CanadaBeta Tester Posts: 18

Well this is cool and I am seriously considering sending my Deluge in for an update.. is there any chance this could be added to the refresh service so it can all be done at the same time?

hide_mehide_me StockholmBeta Tester Posts: 3

The statement in the site indicates that the screen isn’t necessary. Just an added value proposition due to rising costs. And it can be retrofit for a reasonable price. What’s not to like? This thing has already had a lifespan that puts other products to shame. Any other company would have already put out multiple incompatible hardware revisions years ago.

I agree with you.

Excuse me. These were the emotions of the person who bought Deluge a couple of months ago. I thought I did it too late.

Then I read the statement more carefully. Everything is fine now.

1heUndertaker1heUndertaker UKBeta Tester Posts: 24

@icymulberry said:
    Well this is cool and I am seriously considering sending my Deluge in for an update.. is there any chance this could be added to the refresh service so it can all be done at the same time?

Checkout the comments on the open facebook group too, it has been mentioned that other options like encoders may be able to be done at the same time - there is more info incoming .... ---> :)

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199

The bad thing about it is, that you miss the deluge for some time (weeks / months ?), not making music.
    It would be nice if there were some shops in the area who could fit the screen/chip/pcb, makes shipping a lot cheaper and no worries about import duties..

porkloinporkloin Fairbanks, Alaska, USABeta Tester Posts: 10

@djAzid said:
    The bad thing about it is, that you miss the deluge for some time (weeks / months ?), not making music.
    It would be nice if there were some shops in the area who could fit the screen/chip/pcb, makes shipping a lot cheaper and no worries about import duties..

Yeah, this would be nice if there were more options, but I imagine it's a big headache for a company of Synthstrom's size to find trustworthy repair facilities where they're confident your device won't be damaged in the process. But the cost makes it feel real bad for folks in regions where the return shipping isn't feasible. They did mention that so long as you're the original owner then you shouldn't have to pay duty/tax again, but it wouldn't be the first time that someone claims you'll be exempt and then you get stuck with a bill on receipt of item.

icymulberryicymulberry CanadaBeta Tester Posts: 18

@1heUndertaker said:

@icymulberry said:

Checkout the comments on the open facebook group too, it has been mentioned that other options like encoders may be able to be done at the same time - there is more info incoming .... ---> :)

I found that comment thread, that answers my question! Thank you kindly :)

Wow, cool update! Would love to see more information if possible?
    I noticed in the demo video that the LPF had a unique display - do other functions also have unique displays? I'd love to see a visualisation of the envelopes for example

richardjneorichardjneo MelbournePosts: 7

This is amazing!! I love the Deluge so much but this is one area I always found annoying. I didn’t want a big screen, hate looking at screens, but also did not enjoy having always decipher these arcane 3 digit codes, or the worst was having it scroll a longer word through a three letter window. This is all I ever wanted, a tiny OLED no bigger than the 3-digit display <3

It’s PERFECT! :D/

NaenynNaenyn United StatesPosts: 14

Thank you so much for this! I haven't been this happy since originally receiving my Deluge. This is fantastic news!!

Will the OLED's brightness be adjustable like the current screen and LEDs are?

@1heUndertaker said:
    Hi @Ian_Jorgensen and wow!

Great option for the screen *8D

Do we UK people pay for the deposit/ total direct for upgrading the Deluge in the UK ?
    Or do we just pay the UK local repair partner you mention?
    Cheers

pay us, and we take care of all the admin with the UK partner so they don't have to chase people up etc :)

@DiamondEyes said:
    Great news! For existing users would it make life easier for shipping rules(?) if we remove battery before we send it for upgrade?

Depends on where shipping to/from. We'll give people instructions depending on the options avail.

@illobyte said:
    are there any hardware differences between the new deluge and a retrofitted old deluge (ignoring the pre-3.0 top panel)?

not of any consequence. we've had to change up components here and there as part shortages create headaches, but nothing any user would notice.

@hide_me said:

I don't want to ruin your plans or cause a dispute, I just want to say, this is one of those moments when you feel that your equipment is irrelevant, it kind of makes you feel abandon> @icymulberry said:

yeah, as said, we'll offer a suite of services, once people are in queue and we have idea of how many we have lined up we'll send out details about what we can offer etc.

edited September 2022

@djAzid said:

Yeah, in an ideal world we would have made a kit people could do this at home, unfortunately it was either this way or not able to offer a retrofit at all :/ By doing this 'queue' as we're doing, our plan is to ideally only have it away from people for upto 2 weeks. Basically, we don't collect your Deluge until we have room to sort it :)

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on
    janbertjanbert VancouverPosts: 35

Never in my dreams would I have thought that something like the retrofit would have been possible. It's absolutely amazing you guys make that happen. I almost thought I have to buy a complete new deluge. The wait for shipping and replacement is totally fine for me and understandable.

@Ian_Jorgensen said:

@djAzid said:

Yeah, in an ideal world we would have made a kit people could do this at home, unfortunately it was either this way or not able to offer a retrofit at all :/ By doing this 'queue' as we're doing, our plan is to ideally only have it away from people for upto 2 weeks. Basically, we don't collect your Deluge until we have room to sort it :)

I wasn't talking about diy, but about specialized (synthstrom picked) repair shops.
    That it can take 'only' 2 weeks thats great, only post and customs can be rather slow nowadays.
    And if you aren't the first owner, like me, you pay extra import duty for something that I already own.

macMOEmacMOE germanyPosts: 16

This is great news!!
    Thanks for your hard work and your dedication to always improve this instrument (even if that means to change an original design idea).
    You are awesome!!

I am located in germany. Do I understand the post correctly that my unit will be retrofitted in europe?
    And so it won't be a problem that I am not the original owner?

Thanks again

@macMOE said:
    This is great news!!
    Thanks for your hard work and your dedication to always improve this instrument (even if that means to change an original design idea).

I am located in germany. Do I understand the post correctly that my unit will be retrofitted in europe?

No, all the way back in NZ by synthstrom themselfs.

Wolf_TWolf_T SpainPosts: 39

@macMOE said:
    This is great news!!
    You are awesome!!

And so it won't be a problem that I am not the original owner?

Thanks again

"We will be offering the service through local repair partners in the UK and Europe (Schengen) and we’ll be taking care of the rest of the world ourselves in New Zealand. "

macMOEmacMOE germanyPosts: 16

@Wolf_T said:
    "We will be offering the service through local repair partners in the UK and Europe (Schengen) and we’ll be taking care of the rest of the world ourselves in New Zealand. "

I read that as well, but there seems to be some kind of confusion about this in this thread, so i wanted clarification.
    On the other hand, it is quite clear.

hxlpshxlps FrancePosts: 6

How the screen will behave when turning a golden knob ? Will it show the parameter value whatever we were doing ?

richardjneorichardjneo MelbournePosts: 7

Out of stock? Did I miss it already? 🥹