Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

No way to use the same sound in two clips for different parts of a song?

DudeIsADogDudeIsADog United StatesPosts: 6

Hey all,
Noob here. So...the only way to use a given synth throughout a song, with different sections having different parts but the same sound, is to make a really long clip that spans the whole song?

For example, say we have a portion of a song that goes [verse 1, chorus, verse 2] in which verse 2 used the same synth as verse 1, but a variation on the melody line...would we have to create a clip that spans both verses with empty cells (rests) through the chorus between the verses?

Thanks

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

That’s not true. If you hold a clip in song view and press another row it will copy the clip with a new section color. The new clip could be used for verse 2 for example. Both clips will use the same synth.

Oh! That's cool. And now only one can be active at the same time in song mode - makes sense. Thank you very much.

Another question. As I read your answer, I had been reading about changing section colo(u)r, so it was a nice coincidence. But in arranger view, the clip launch buttons are not in same order as the clips in Song mode, and they are all the same color - is there a way to order the launch buttons in Arranger mode the same as in Song mode, and have the colours match as well?

Sorry for my slowness, lol, but also...I copied the 4th line of my song to the next line, as per your advice, but now I have 5 lines in my song, but only 4 active launch pads in arranger view...all the same color. So the "copied" song line/clip is not showing in arranger mode because it shares the same synth? If so, how to trigger that new copied clip? (I modified it a little just to make sure it wasn't because it was identical in notes as well as synth)

I should note, I had reordered the lines in Song mode, but that ordering did not carry into Arranger mode.

And notable: when I add a clip in Arranger mode, it does match the color of the corresponding line in Song mode in the grid. I just would have figured that they would color the Audition/Section buttons the same in Arrange mode as in Song mode. At the moment, in Arranger mode, the Audition/Section buttons are unlit. Is this normal?

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

You are right that there’s only a single row for each instrument/track. This is also why only one clip plays at a time when they share the same instrument. The rows in arranger usually show up in the order that each instrument was added to the song.
    To get the different sections, place a clip onto the time line. Then hold the clip and turn the select knob. The clip will then cycle through the available section colors for that instrument. If that synth has a pink and blue clip in song mode, arranger will cycle through pink, blue, and white (blank clip).

I’d recommend reading the manual section about the arranger and/or look up some videos on the subject. Record to arranger is another good feature for building an arrangement.