Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Losing Currently loaded samples every time I load new samples.

Louis_in_The_LabLouis_in_The_Lab Johannesburg South AfricaPosts: 16

I've made about 6-7 kits on the deluge with my own mastered samples and these are primarily, the only drum kits I use. For some reason, every time I try and load new samples onto the Deluge's sd card, I end up losing one (or multiple) of the drum kits I've made. The drum kit is still present in the songs I've made and in the 'kits' library, but it has no sounds loaded in it. It will still show me the sample name of the sample its supposed to be triggering when I hold down the audition button but it won't actually play it.

I'm not sure why this is happening. It could possibly be because I've given multiple sample's the same name, for example, all of my kicks are named KCK. This would be very odd to me because although they have the same name, they are stored in different folders under the 'samples' folder.

Here is an overview of my process when adding samples, so please point out any major mistakes I could be making that could lead to the loss of drum kits. I usually have each drum kit as a folder and that folder will contain all of the 24 bit, .wav audio files in it. I will then drag that entire folder (containing the samples) into the 'samples' folder on the Deluge's. I always make a duplicate of the SD card contents prior to adding anything new.

Every single time I've done this, I've then lost existing kits on the deluge. Please note that I always lose the ability of a kit to make a sound, yet the midi data, kit and the sample's names always seem to be fine, they just don't trigger any audio.

I'm not sure if its due to something I'm doing wrong or if my SD card is being corrupted throughout the process? I also take my SD card out roughly every 2 weeks to back it up and II haven't had the same problem with that, the problem only seems to occur when I load new files onto the SD card.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

This sounds like the deluge isn’t finding the samples. Likely the samples or their folders were moved, renamed, or deleted.

You can open the song/kit xml file on your computer and look for the actual file path. If anything has changed you can edit the file path there in the xml or fix the SD card contents to match.

@Too_Mere said:
    This sounds like the deluge isn’t finding the samples. Likely the samples or their folders were moved, renamed, or deleted.

You can open the song/kit xml file on your computer and look for the actual file path. If anything has changed you can edit the file path there in the xml or fix the SD card contents to match.

So when I add a new folder into the 'samples' folder, it shifts the current folders up or down by one, just because it automatically puts it into alphabetical order. This is the 'change' that occurs in the file path. But I can't imagine this being the problem because if that were the case, then everyone would lose samples every time they load anything new into the 'Samples' folder.

Couls t possbly have something to do with the fact that some samples have the same name, although they are stored in different folders? For example have 5 different drum kits that all have different kicks in them and all of those kick samples are named KCK, but they are stored in different folders in the 'Samples' folder.

If the samples have the same name but are in different folders they should still have unique file paths. And adding new folders shouldn’t change the file path either.
    Are you sure you haven’t moved or renamed any of the folders containing samples from kits?
    Have you checked the file paths within the xml files for discrepancies?

@Too_Mere said:
    If the samples have the same name but are in different folders they should still have unique file paths. And adding new folders shouldn’t change the file path either.
    Are you sure you haven’t moved or renamed any of the folders containing samples from kits?
    Have you checked the file paths within the xml files for discrepancies?

Yea I'm very confident the names/folders weren't changed when adding new samples. I would only drag in new folders.

No I haven't checked the file paths in the xml files and I'll be honest i'm not 100% sure how to do that. Would you mind explaining?

Just open the xml file on your computer using a text based program. I use TextEdit, standard on Mac.
    There you can look at all various settings within. You can then do a text search with command + F. Type SAMPLES. It should jump to file paths pointing in the SAMPLES folder.
    Look at the file paths and make sure the actual file name and folder structure on the SD card match exactly.

Hey man, so I did this and there are very subtle differences. I'm posting photos here. Please let me know what to do. focus on the sample highlighted. It is under the WWDLUG folder and the is called pick_04.wav. I've also attached my folder directory and have clicked through the steps followed by the xml folder.

@Too_Mere said:
    Just open the xml file on your computer using a text based program. I use TextEdit, standard on Mac.
    There you can look at all various settings within. You can then do a text search with command + F. Type SAMPLES. It should jump to file paths pointing in the SAMPLES folder.
    Look at the file paths and make sure the actual file name and folder structure on the SD card match exactly.

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 603

seems like the folder is called WWDLUG but in the XML file it says WWDL~1 which is where the problem lies. unless the folder was previous called that before when you made the kit, i don't know why WWDL~1 would show up in the XML file paths. maybe some SD corrupty-weirdness. you can find and replace all instances of WWDL~1 to WWDLUG and your kits should work again. if you don't want to edit files, you could also update the sample via shift+browse on the deluge and then locate the right file in that folder.

Thank you so much. Yea I went and edited the XML files in order to fix the file path and it worked 100%. Nw I'm just trying to figure out why it would abbreviate the file source in the XML file when I take the SD card out and insert it into my laptop. Recently bought a new SD card, ging try it out and I'll post any updates on here. If anyone has any clue what could cause this abbreviation to occur in the XML file please let me know, then I'll troubleshoot on my side.

@reza said:
    seems like the folder is called WWDLUG but in the XML file it says WWDL~1 which is where the problem lies. unless the folder was previous called that before when you made the kit, i don't know why WWDL~1 would show up in the XML file paths. maybe some SD corrupty-weirdness. you can find and replace all instances of WWDL~1 to WWDLUG and your kits should work again. if you don't want to edit files, you could also update the sample via shift+browse on the deluge and then locate the right file in that folder.

rogerroger Baltimore, MDPosts: 8
    edited September 2022

That shortened filename is the kind of thing you got in the olden days whenever you copied stuff to a floppy disk. My guess would be that the SD card was formatted using an antique FAT format.

Post edited by roger on

Update: I've bought a new SD card reader and I haven't experienced the same problem since. So I'm relatively confident that the old SD card reader I was using was the issue. Not sure why it was giving me that problem, but like I said, I haven't experienced the problem again ever since I bought a new one.