Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Pixel Perfect - Deluge Chiptune

20 years ago, me and a friend had a one-hit-wonder project called Local, which was heavily inspired by retro video game music.

It's weird that more time has passed since then, than had passed between playing games as a kid and making music as a young adult. I'm not even sure 'chiptune' was even a word in 2000.

Anyway, now and again I'm still drawn to making music with those influences. I wish I had the time and confidence to pitch my music to indie game studios. Until then, I've put my latest batch on Bandcamp.

It was fun making it with my Deluge, a totally different experience to composing with a tracker. I hope somebody has fun listening to it.

Pixel Perfect by Alder Dice

Comments

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277
    edited February 2022

That was a lot of fun to listen through! Thank you for sharing and showing the capabilities of the deluge as a chiptune machine. Very well done ;)

Post edited by Heptagen on
    semarsemar Posts: 31

Woah ! Nice chiptunes here - well done ! I got a flashback to the 80's ;-)

Really good Alder_Dice, both thumbs up !!!

Keep on,
    Sergio

Alder_DiceAlder_Dice UKBeta Tester Posts: 128

Thanks @Heptagen and @semar - that's really kind of you both. And I'm glad you got some enjoyment from it. I try not to indulge in nostalgia too much, but there's something about that aesthetic that I keep returning to every few years.

edited February 2022

Just out of curiosity.. I see you have modified some sound - in a really good way I should add - but also, to obtain that "arpeggiator" effect ( which I can hear for example starting at the second 8 and after ), you may have put some notes on the sequencer, and then let them play at an high speed, right ? And sampled the result as a new sound, right ?

Post edited by semar on

Thanks for your interest @semar

To be honest, I made most of the tracks about a year ago, so I don't remember all the techniques I used.

But I'm pretty sure I just used the Deluge's arpeggiator on a monophonic synth part at a high speed and played some chords. Your way of doing it would be fun, but I like the option to have deep modulation. The key to that Commodore 64 sound is to modulate the pulse width while doing rapid arpeggios.

A lot of the melodic and bass parts use the Commodore 64 folder from AKWF's single cycle waveform pack. Some of them (and a lot of the percussion/FX) are just straight samples from C64, NES and Gameboy (the Gameboy sounds came from my own unit - sampled way back in about 2001. Who knows how many times I have copied that folder between machines!)

Thanks again Sergio. It's really cool that somebody is interested in my music.

tingeltingel Hamburg / GermanyPosts: 43

ahoi @Alder_Dice - thanks a lot for your music! i pretty enjoy discovering it right now :) ... actually the idea for that commodore 64 sound - modulate the pulse width while doing rapid arpeggios - sounds pretty cool but i don´t really understand how to do that... would you like to explain it to me, that would be sooo sweet! *

@tingel said:
    ahoi @Alder_Dice - thanks a lot for your music! i pretty enjoy discovering it right now :) ... actually the idea for that commodore 64 sound - modulate the pulse width while doing rapid arpeggios - sounds pretty cool but i don´t really understand how to do that... would you like to explain it to me, that would be sooo sweet! *

I second that ! If you could share a short video to show your creativity live, using that C64 sounds as tingel mentioned, would be great !

It would be nice
    Alter_Dice !

Yes I did it ! I did a rime !!! In english !!! Sorry, I could not resist ;-)

great dear dice, o that´s a deal!

• after you showed me, i will kneel
      to play that sound in video,
      looking forward a lot, dear - jo hohoho ;)

@tingel said:
    great dear dice, o that´s a deal!

• after you showed me, i will kneel
      to play that sound in video,
      looking forward a lot, dear - jo hohoho ;)

LOL !

@tingel and @semar

Your rhymes gave me a big smile
    A video might take a while
    (My hands are quite shaky and my camera is flaky)
    I could share an XML file?

A file would be very ok
    if you share us the way
    how really could we use it
    to make music from every bit

Semar just joined our poetic gym,
    And totally, I am with him
    With a file you´d gave our ChiptuneChoir
    The perfect potion c64-sounds-fire! :smiley:

alder dice, i hope your well,
    and still waiting on that xml ;)

@semar @tingel

Some life events happened
    And caused a delay
    Here's that arpeggio
    To brighten your day

https://mega.nz/file/0sggRYqT#DiljOllJU6wJ7GMFE8I7z0TfJ1lyDppqgL8rRowNlSA

Alder, no Problem,
    Main Thing´s you´re alive!
    I´m happy ´bout your present,
    Which in I´ll take a deep dive ;)

<3

edited October 2022

@Alder_Dice,
    that's vey nice
    thank you - really - for the file
    Now I'll be really busy - for a while :-)

Post edited by semar on