Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Sequence playback glitch?

lowandslowlowandslow United StatesPosts: 29

I know this sounds weird, but it seems like when my Deluge is on for 8+ hours after a nice day of jamming... the sequence playback will suddenly glitch and the Deluge will playback notes with the wrong timing and sometimes skip notes. The only thing I can do is turn off the D and restart it. Oddly enough, I can save any changes to my file before turning off the D and it saves the proper sequence, which leads me to believe there's something wrong with the playback? Is there a way for me to just "clear" out the D playback memory or cache so I don't have to cycle power? If I could associate / correlate this bug or glitch with other behavior I would - it just seems to happen after it's been on for a long time.

Answers

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 604

i would try saving the project like you normally do before power-cycling, but then just hit LOAD+LOAD to reload the song. see if that fixes the problem. if not maybe it points to like a memory leak or something funky under the hood.

the best would be if you were willing to record jamming, letting the deluge chill for 8+ while the recording continues, catch the messy playback issues, then crop/edit the two different playbacks together with the time that elapsed till the playback got scrambly. i think hearing what kind of things are adjusted would be helpful.

btw, does the playhead (white cursor) move funky correlating to the weird playback? any MIDI devices connected? i wonder if somehow SWING got turned on or there is a MIDI clock related issue slowly nudging things?

I'll record it the next time it happens - so you can compare both versions of the song (correct vs. incorrect playback). I do have a MIDI out hooked up - D is the brain to a big euro rack setup. And YES, the playhead skips/glitches. I'm not experiencing the glitch with the playhead moving in sequence, the playhead (white squares) itself skips. Should I post the videos here?

posting the video may help! i would double check ur swing settings in case that's a culprit. i think hold shift then click tempo knob down to see if it's still at 0, maybe it's finding a way to slightly shift. otherwise some midi clock stuff must be afoot

I've posted a video here. Hopefully it makes sense. As you listen to it, note the particular rhythm in this phrase. I point with my finger in the video where it glitches. Oddly enough, it doesn't glitch in the same spot. In the quarter note view (16) you can see the timeline moving constantly, and it doesn't seem to skip any notes - even though it skips notes. I didn't think to look at the timeline in the 8th note view (32), I can try that when it happens again. Clearly it's skipping (an 8th note?) something because as it plays through the timeline, the location of where it skips changes (shortens the timeline). Let me know if this gets us moving in the right direction to troubleshoot. This is the problem that comes up 1x week or after the S has been on for a 7+ hours. Saving the song and cycling power fixes it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/108PVFGbX03HiJ1QWRzhHDsgFnhLSP1jI/view?usp=sharing

This is still happening in V4

ah i did watch that video when you posted it, but spaced out since then. it certainly is an odd behavior.

when it get's to that state, you usually save and then restart the deluge to have it play normally. could you save and the just load the project from the newest save without powering off/on? basically want to know if timing issues are present after reloading a project, you could even try loading a different project first then back to the newly saved one, could be useful.

also could you remove any MIDI (USB/DIN) cables and replicate the issue? just think it would be good to rule out other things messing with the clock/timing/etc.

Ok. I'll try those suggestions.

So I had the glitch happen again and I tried loading the song like you suggested, but the glitch persisted until I cycled power.