Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Is there a spec for the Deluge XML files?

So before I try looking at code examples and trying to reverse engineer anything, does anyone know if there is a specification for the Deluge XML files? Or better yet is there official documentation from the folks at Deluge for anyone that wants to make 3rd party software?

Comments

shiftelevenshifteleven CaliforniaPosts: 7

Awesome! Thank you!

HailaHaila FinlandPosts: 16

Having looked into this for a few days now, I found browsing Jamie Fenton's code quite useful. Especially this file about the binary formats: github.com/jamiefaye/downrush/blob/master/xmlView/src/FmtSound.js

It's extremely incomplete, but I'm building a thing with TS and slowly learning how to parse the XML into strong types. Maybe this is of some use to you as well: https://gitlab.com/dasinf/delugr/-/blob/main/src/types.ts

What the linked doc doesn't cover is that the old Deluge firmwares use a different and not-directly-compatible XML format. The v2.x era files are actually illegal XML with multiple root nodes. I feel like the world needs a deluge-utils NPM library or something to handle all this :dizzy:

tomtobblestoptomtobblestop Portland, Maine, USABeta Tester Posts: 16

@Haila i agree it would be great to get an npm library wrapping this and thanks for your work on the types file. did you ultimately find a more up to date spec?

IckerdayIckerday PolandPosts: 3

Man, I wanted to make a tool for the Deluge so many times, but every time I started I stopped at the thought of having to make the typing system from scratch, again.

The only thing that would spark up the community would be a centralised type repo (imagine the @types/ repos for TS typings) with ways to handle the vague stuff like the order of XML props (which contrary to the XML spec is important in here) and so on.

Not everybody is good at reverse-engineering arbitrary file formats, people just want to build stuff in their favourite languages.

HailaHaila FinlandPosts: 16

@tomtobblestop said:
    @Haila i agree it would be great to get an npm library wrapping this and thanks for your work on the types file. did you ultimately find a more up to date spec?

Sorry I missed your post and nope, haven't seen one yet. My typings progressed quite a bit since the last post but there's still stuff that I'm profoundly unhappy about, like how to deal with seemingly very important parameters that are undefined. Some progress is still better than no progress, tho!

@Ickerday said:
    ...ways to handle the vague stuff like the order of XML props (which contrary to the XML spec is important in here) and so on.

Is the order important? Haven't witnessed that yet in the files that I've looked at. Sounds scary.