Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

SD Card removed without ejecting... data destroyed. BACKUP!

Just a warning to others that twice now I've lost ALL the data on my SD card by removing it from my computer without first ejecting it (once by mistake and once where the computer lost connection to it). Im not sure if the problem is with the card, my card reader or the computer but I've not lost data like this from other types of drives when accidentally removing before ejecting.

Obviously you should never remove any drive from your computer without ejecting it first, but accidents happen. Just a warning to backup as much as possible so you don't lose your work like me.

Lesson learnt and shared :-)

Comments

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

Thanks for the heads up. What OS are you using?

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 603

bummer! for what it's worth, i never eject my SD card and haven't lost data, but my SD card reader blinks it's LED when the card is reading or writing, so I wait till the blinking stops. windows 10, using a lexar usb 3.0 multicard reader

core44core44 Posts: 11

@Heptagen said:
    Thanks for the heads up. What OS are you using?

Macbook Air M1, MacOS 11.6.

I think it's most likely the cheap SD card reader I'm using, it constantly disconnects itself and wipes the card now. It's going in the bin.

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199

Even w. a crappy card reader, most data should still be on the card. Dunno if there are programs for mac to get your data back and/or rebuild the index of the card.

@djAzid said:
    Even w. a crappy card reader, most data should still be on the card. Dunno if there are programs for mac to get your data back and/or rebuild the index of the card.

Thanks. But luckily my loses were minimal as I'm still in the process of setting up the SD card directories as I like them. Half decent SD reader on order so will do some tests when it arrives to see if the problem goes away!

So the problem was definitely the cheap card read i was using (apple clone). My new card reader (ugreen) arrived and have tried to destroy the data on it by removing without ejecting etc. with no data loss at all.

So old card reader is in the bin... pic attached of it for others reference. They seem to sell for just a few dollars on most sites like aliexpress etc. Not worth the $$ savings.