Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Noise as modulation source?

Delay_DudeDelay_Dude GermanyPosts: 16

Is there a way to use noise as a modulation source on the Deluge? I´ve tried to use the random as mod source for the pitch, but it seems, that it´s not possible to change the rate of the random.

Post edited by Delay_Dude on

Comments

shiftelevenshifteleven CaliforniaPosts: 7

From what I'm picking up, "Random" looks to be a seed value to start from. Like when I set random as a modulation source to pitch or to LFO2 rate, it seems to effect the initial value on press, but then becomes constant until I can retrigger the note.

I am interested if there's something like this though

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

You're correct: random generates a random value on any given event. And what's also important is that it generates only one value at any given moment.
    That means that if you modulate attack with random (low value = plucky start / high value = long attack) and at the same time modulate panning with random (low value = left / high value = right), the pluckier the sound the more to the left it will be.

Depending on your use case your best bet to get some random curve as modulation source in the deluge is to use both lfos and modulate lfo2 frequency with lfo1 and random. Also modulate your target (like lpf cutoff) with lfo1, lfo2 and random. Use negative values on some connections. Modulate the depth of the modulation (using the "blue patch cables").
    This makes the modulation pretty unpredictable, although unfortunately it will always keep some of it's cyclic nature.

Matze978Matze978 Posts: 8

@Heptagen said:
    You're correct: random generates a random value on any given event. And what's also important is that it generates only one value at any given moment.
    That means that if you modulate attack with random (low value = plucky start / high value = long attack) and at the same time modulate panning with random (low value = left / high value = right), the pluckier the sound the more to the left it will be.

Does this also count for the Arpeggiators Random option?

Otherwise using the Note Modulation + Random Arpeggiator (ideally with lots of octaves) would give an additional way to introduce more Randomness in to the patch

@Matze978 said:
    Otherwise using the Note Modulation + Random Arpeggiator (ideally with lots of octaves) would give an additional way to introduce more Randomness in to the patch

Yes of course, a very valuable option ☝