Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Continuous Layering Audio Clips

HannesHannes GermanyPosts: 83

Hello again,
as I am getting more familiar with the lopper, I stumbled upon one thing:

I want to do continuous layering of audio clips BUT the Audio clips afterwards should not be linked (i.e. should be "Audio1", "Audio2", "Audio3" etc.).
At the same time the single layers shall be muted when the next layer starts. I just found a way to have unlinked aid clips but then they all are unmuted. Is there a way to do what I want, using the layering function?

Thanks!

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

The only way the clips will automatically mute as you describe is if they are linked (all sharing Audio1, for example). This is done by holding record and making sure it flashes red instead of purple.
    You can unlink these clips afterward if you like by creating additional audio clips/tracks and changing which clip belongs to which track by entering the clip or holding it in song view and turning the select knob.

ah ok! I thought it is not possible to unlink audio clips. see this thread: https://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/3273/how-to-unlink-cloned-audio-clip

Quite possible! :)

edited December 2021

sorry but I must be doing something wrong or it just doesn't work. I have two audio clips. both are "audio1" at the moment. How exactly can I unlink them so that I can play both simultaneously? I tried what you said but that doesn't change anything. maybe I just misunderstood...

Post edited by Hannes on

So there are audio tracks and audio clips. There can be many audio clips that belong to the same audio track (Audio1 ex). But each audio track can only play one audio clip at a time.
    To create a new audio track simply create a new audio clip from a blank row. This should create Audio2 which will now be selectable from any audio clip.

You can also create a new audio track in the arranger view with blank audition + select. This will create a new track without a potentially unwanted clip.

sorry mate, I'm more confused now than in the beginning actually :#
    What you mean when saying "track"? You're in arranger view when saying that?

I am referring to song view. There I have two audio clip rows which both are labelled "audio1". I want one of them to become "audio2", so that I can play both simultaneously.

Really appreciate your help.

Audio clips belong to audio tracks. Same way synth clips belong to synth instruments/tracks.

Audio1 and Audio2, 3, etc. are the names of the the different audio tracks. Both of your Audio1 clips belong to the same track, therefore only one can play at a time until one is moved to another track (Audio2).

To create a new track, Audio2, hold a blank row in song view, or in arranger view (both views affect each other) and press select. Once Audio2 exists, you can turn the select knob within any audio clip to select Audio1 or Audio2.
    Now two different audio clips may play at once. To get three audio clips to play at once, you’ll need to create Audio3.

Arranger view is helpful because it shows a row for each instrument or track that exists in song view, regardless of how many clips may belong to each.

Not sure if you’re familiar with Ableton, but it’s very much the same idea as session and arranger view. And clips and tracks have the same type of relationship.

@Too_Mere said:
    Once Audio2 exists, you can turn the select knob within any audio clip to select Audio1 or Audio2.
    Now two different audio clips may play at once.

That was the point at which I failed yesterday. I just tried it again now and works exactly as you said! Great! Don't know what was the problem yesterday.

Thanks so much.

Maybe to the background of this question i.e. why I want to use it:

When I use the continuous layer function of the looper, I make several takes of, for example, a guitar riff. And of course they should not play all together successively when doing so. So I choose the red blinking mute/launch option for layering. This way each layer gets muted when the next one is recorded. So far so good.
    But after finishing layering, it's nice to be able to use for example two of the layers, one panned left and one panned right, playing at the same time. This way I can create doubled guitar parts out of my several takes I just did before. Nice!

Problem solved!

Awesome! Glad you got it figured out!
    Happy to help 👍🏼