Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

What MIDI CHANNEL is using the internal track ?

Fabi_OhmyamFabi_Ohmyam ItalyPosts: 29
edited December 2021 in Deluge Help

I need to understand better the concept of midi tracks versus internal tracks when regarding the assignation of parameters from Deluge's internal tracks to external controllers.

Let's say I organise a controller based on midi channels. Each midi channel is one instrument normally speaking, like in my old sequencer.
In the Deluge is clear how to work with external synth : we just click on Midi and we choose the channel for the synth.

But if I want to have my 16 instruments mapped in to a single external controller I start to loose my self.

Which are actually the channels assigned to internal instruments?
Should I change simply the midi channel my self to every instrument I open if I want to assign it in to a controller properly ?

Post edited by Fabi_Ohmyam on

Best Answers

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USAPosts: 993
    Answer ✓

For internal synths instruments, just press and hold Learn + the audition pads within the the clip and then press a key on the MIDI controller. That will assign whichever MIDI channel is currently being sent from the controller to that synth instrument. The internal synth instruments have no MIDI assignments until a controller is learned this way.

Answer ✓

You can have 16 different MIDI channels to program external gear. And have 16 different internal instrument controlled by controller(s) on different channels. And yes, infinite internal instruments, limited only by CPU, which will simply cause voice stealing if too many are playing at once.

Answer ✓

No problem! Even more possibilities now with the beta recognizing separate devices :)

Answer ✓

Exciting indeed!
    You see more about what to expect here:
    https://synthstrom.com/deluge-firmware-v4-0-0-informal-instructions-for-beta-testers/

Answer ✓

Chapter 12 in the manual is MIDI, pg. 225
    I think most of this is covered there. And I think it’ll get updated for the new features in 4.0 as well.

Answers

@Too_Mere said:
    For internal synths instruments, just press and hold Learn + the audition pads within the the clip and then press a key on the MIDI controller. That will assign whichever MIDI channel is currently being sent from the controller to that synth instrument. The internal synth instruments have no MIDI assignments until a controller is learned this way.

So , it is possible to sequence 16 instruments + Deluge tracks If I want to?
    this way I can have 16 + infinite? As far as there as I understood are there then 16 midi channel free to be assigned a part of Deluge tracks?

edited December 2021

@Too_Mere said:
    You can have 16 different MIDI channels to program external gear. And have 16 different internal instrument controlled by controller(s) on different channels. And yes, infinite internal instruments, limited only by CPU, which will simply cause voice stealing if too many are playing at once.

ok thank you !
    This is the type of answer i wished .. Seams I can formally control, within the usage of CC midi controller, a total of 32 instruments between internal and external tracks, and even more that I can just work on the machine itself .. this is a giant quantity of sound !

:D <3

edited December 2021

@Too_Mere said:
    No problem! Even more possibilities now with the beta recognizing separate devices :)

WOw! :open_mouth: . I can't imagine in which sense ( also controllers you mean, or only synths? ) , and how it works but everything is welcome. I also hope in synth folders and few other little cute details .. Deluge is really nice when makes you forget the computer. This is also for the USB functions improvements that will be soon like the gold wiil , nectar for the future...
    HOwever..... TRackS and channels
    Deluge works in its way ... But as long as it stays understandable and reliable it's all ok .
    I gonna soon buy I keyboard controller called M-Audio OXygen Pro 49 , and is very much important the midi/channel mode this time. So I am waiting so much this new update. ( 4.0 )

@Too_Mere said:
    Exciting indeed!
    You see more about what to expect here:
    https://synthstrom.com/deluge-firmware-v4-0-0-informal-instructions-for-beta-testers/

Great Features @Too_Mere . I definitely think there is need of a new rounder and dedicated midi mode documentation paragrapher in the manual, within all the tricks and sub_features of the midi department in Deluge.
    Do you think is reasonable to open a new tread for this ? I really feel it .