Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

TouchOSC + Deluge make a great pair!

flocoloresflocolores Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 9

(I guess this is the right spot to post this, but feel free to move it anywhere...)

TOSC is an app for Android+Iphone that let's you create MIDI- and OSC-GUIs with a powerful editor. You can build any kind of MIDI controller with faders, radial encoders, XY-pads, buttons and more. Just hook up your tablet with the Deluge using a USB MIDI interface (about 10€) and edit away...

As my first project, I wanted to have control over every single mappable control of a basic subtractive synth patch. Turned out to be more than 230... So here it is :)
I'm quite happy with the result, although I'm not sure I'll use it a lot. It could be cool for sound design of new patches, but obviously, with the Deluge not sending MIDI out info of all the parameters (yet?), it's use is a bit limited.

I started with a subtractive synth, but I guess it would be a lot more useful for FM synthesis. I'd love to see someone building a TOSC patch for that who knows FM better than I do...

Other purposes could include a mixer, or having a lot of fx controls at hand, or using XY pads for fx, or... What would you build? Let me know!

Btw, I'm using MIDI channels 11+12 to send. I guess you could change the TOSC file so you can select the channels it's using, but I couldn't be arsed to learn scripting with LUA. Maybe someone else would like to do it? Feel free to use & change the files!

TouchOSC: https://hexler.net/touchosc
.tosc-file+synth-patch: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x0k2y8u09azfxjw/tOSC Deluge MIDI mapping.zip?dl=0

Comments

MugwoodMugwood DenmarkPosts: 18

Very very cool! Thank you for sharing - I'm thinking this could be very powerful for live performances where it's hard to read the print on the Deluge overlay!

@Mugwood said:
    Very very cool! Thank you for sharing - I'm thinking this could be very powerful for live performances where it's hard to read the print on the Deluge overlay!

absolutely. especially since you really don't need all 230 controls, you could just build your own live midi controller with everything you need, and give that Shift button some well-deserved rest... :) you could also pair it with Tuna knobs...haven't tried'em yet, they seem too expensive, but they sure look like a nice addition.

Just imagine... with preset-independent MIDI mapping saving option, this could become a powerful tool. And if we get a "send parameters to MIDI Out", we could finally see what's happening in every preset... Fingers crossed, no pressure ;)

MugwoodMugwood DenmarkPosts: 18

@flocolores - thanks for the Tuna Knobs tip.... I had no idea that was a thing!

miziodelmiziodel italyPosts: 6

just playing around with the configs you provided, thanks @flocolores very nice job! :)

Hey there, I realize it's been years since this post but I am having issues controlling my deluge with touchOSC through an iPad. I have tried it with a mio midi adapter that has worked with other apps before, as well as a direct USB connection. What connection settings do you need to get it working? I've gone through every configuration but nothing seems to work. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.