โ€บ
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

AD/CD AD/DC AC/CD :-) Am I right not to try these DC power supplies?

Dear Forum,

I really don't understand all this centre-positive-negative Watt Amp kinda-thing.

But when I look on the DC power supplies from other machines that I have already, am I right not to use any of them? (see pics)

Thanks

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

Thatโ€™s correct. Those are all center positive. You want center negative.
    DONโ€™T USE THOSE.

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418
    edited July 2021

@Howdy_Stranger said:
    Dear Forum,

I really don't understand all this centre-positive-negative Watt Amp kinda-thing.

But when I look on the DC power supplies from other machines that I have already, am I right not to use any of them? (see pics)

Thanks

https://myvolts.de/product/45438/9V_Synthstrom-Audible_Synthesizer_Deluge_Netzteil_Ladegerat

Post edited by volsteh on

๐Ÿ…ฝ๐Ÿ…พ๐Ÿ†…๐Ÿ…ธ๐Ÿ…ฒ๐Ÿ…ด ๐Ÿ…ณ๐Ÿ…ด๐Ÿ…ป๐Ÿ†„๐Ÿ…ถ๐Ÿ…ธ๐Ÿ…พ๐Ÿ…ฝ๐Ÿ…ธ๐Ÿ†‚๐Ÿ†ƒ?

Thanks once again Too_Mere and volsteh for helping me out!

yamacilleryamaciller ViennaPosts: 27

In my box I found a lot of used powersupplies with the correct voltage and power. Unfortunately it seems, that here in Europe (?) the standard is mainly + centered?
    But then I found an old universal power adapter, actually a cheap one which has exchangeable plugs for several devices. The cool thing on this is, that you can use the plugs in 2 directions, which gives you either + or - centered.
    Very handy, and I was happy to use this ones rather buying another one!

One thing I need to mention here. The powerplug on the deluge is pretty close to the USB plug.
    In my case, the USB pushes the powerplug a bit as there is too little space. Moving them apart by just 5 mm or so would give enough room.
    Cheers.
    Werner

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

I'm not gonna lie. I took a center-positive charger, cut it, flipped the wires over, and soldered it back together, isolated with shrink-wrap. And put a big yellow sticker on it that says Deluge.

Maybe not for you, but maybe you know someone who could do that for you? If not, you need to hang out with more nerds. :)

DaEmbassyDaEmbassy SydneyPosts: 54

I looked through my box of DC adapters, and though there were many that did 9 volts, NOT ONE was centre-negative. Only two would produce more than 500 mA.

So I did a similar thing to @hexagon5un : took an existing centre-Positive charger (600 mA current capacity), cut off the plug, used a voltmeter to confirm polarity of the wiring, and soldered on a new plug, wiring it for centre-negative.

Life is Good (now)

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993
    edited July 2021

This is the one I use. I think center negative is also the standard for guitar pedals.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1Spot9v--truetone-1-spot-slim-9v-dc-adapter?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organicpla

Post edited by Too_Mere on
    yamacilleryamaciller ViennaPosts: 27

Ha, u know what... I was thinking the same thing before I found the universal power supply. It basically does that deed (without soldering ;)-

rCcrCc SoCal, USAPosts: 1

Hey amazing fellow delugers!
    Iโ€™m only two weeks in and so far blown away!

Can I use this one?

oneANToneANT ษนวpun uสop puษlPosts: 73
    edited September 2021

@rCc said:
    Hey amazing fellow delugers!
    Iโ€™m only two weeks in and so far blown away!

Can I use this one?

That power supply is perfect to use. Is 9V 0.5A (500mA) and center-negative
    ant

Post edited by oneANT on
    DaEmbassyDaEmbassy SydneyPosts: 54

If the performance of the adapter matches the printed rating, it looks fine to use with your Deluge @rCc